Your duck pen....

I think it looks great! Yes, a top is safer. Mine are in a topless garden during the day (locked up at night) and have been fine for the last two years. That being said, it is a risk. If you are worried, you could string fishing line over the top, provide extra shrubbery for hiding under, or add a purple Martin house. There are two Martin houses by my ducks and I have seen the Martins attack a red tailed hawk and a great horned owl who flew over head.

We have hawks and owls so, I put aviary netting over our run. But, I also have a hot wire for anything that might climb or get close enough to dig.
My birds are secure at night while in their coop, so I don't worry about them then. But, hawks have swooped by eyeing them during the day and owls have perched on top of our building out back before we had poultry.
Even if I am home, there is no way that I could keep an eye or ear out 100% of the time. Plus, what will you do when you run an errand? Just throwing out some things to think about.
In my run a snake or weasel could potentially get through. However, we have garters so not really worried about that as my muscovies will probably take care of anything like that. ;) We live pretty far from weasel territory (ponds and lakes), so I am not super worried about that, but it could happen as they can travel quite a distance from what I hear, but that is a chance I take with my set up.
So, I would take in consideration the possible predators with the set up and what chances you are willing to take.

I am sorry I read your post that you left them outside of their pen last night :oops:

Looks like you have gotten some good advise.
I definitely lock them in but I do want to add the smaller gauge wire to the doors of the house. I buried that tiny gauge wire around the outside of the entire pen and even added it to the door so no large snakes could get in. I know nothing is 100% but I do love them and want them to be as safe as possible. I have been leaving my dogs out if I run errands as they will run off most anynpredetor and are protective of the ducks. The aviary netting is a good idea! I will definitely do something to make the top more secure. I really appreciate all of the advice. I’m a novice and this is why I asked the question! :) Below is the view from my bathroom window. I keep a flashlight there to check on them inside their house through the night.
FD3C542B-FC50-481F-8B26-55F1407240AC.jpeg

This past winter, I used a flashlight from the house to check on my chickens at night. They used to have a prefab coop and I was always worried about them (before we got the hot wire too!) Now, they are pretty secure at night and my hubs has installed better security lights. So, I am not as paranoid as I was before. ;)

This past winter, I used a flashlight from the house to check on my chickens at night. They used to have a prefab coop and I was always worried about them (before we got the hot wire too!) Now, they are pretty secure at night and my hubs has installed better security lights. So, I am not as paranoid as I was before. ;)
I totally get the paranoid thing right now! I do eventually want to upgrade their house but I need to do the best I can with what I have for now. I was told not to use security lights near them as it upsets hem but the flashlight is probably the very same effect.

I totally get the paranoid thing right now! I do eventually want to upgrade their house but I need to do the best I can with what I have for now. I was told not to use security lights near them as it upsets hem but the flashlight is probably the very same effect.
I guess because my ducks have had it since the beginning, they aren't having any problems with it. When I go to check on them, it trips the light, which makes it easy to see everything. Then, I just close them up for the night. The light is on an adjacent building, not directly over them.
I wore my headlamp out one night because I needed to check on the chickens to see if they were using their new roost (they are not!) I shined the light on the ducks and they freaked out! I was a little worried, but they were all fine in the morning.
The security light is only supposed to kick on when something 40 lbs or more is out there. I kind of freak out when I see it on and we aren't out there (we live in the country), but it might have a few quirks as we never see anything out there when it kicks on. ;)

Back
Top Bottom