your experiences with Brahma roosters?

Quote:
I just have to add that I've never seen a Frizzled Brahma before! How incredibly adorable!
love.gif

Thanks
big_smile.png

Quote:
Personal preference I guess, but I'd go with a younger roo. Let the hens raise him and teach him how to be a gentleman. Mark my words, he'll get his butt handed to him a couple times if he doesn't behave, but unless there's blood drawn I'd leave it to the hens to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Right now I have a polish cockerel that's a little over 4 months old. Poor guy gets a whoopin' from my older hens at least once a day, but he's learning respect.

DON'T FORGET ABOUT QUARANTINE OF THE NEW BIRD, no matter how good the breeders facilities look.

Yep. Will definitely quarantine! My husband is glad you agreed with him. We'll get a younger one!

Thanks also for hipeatall's input on mean Brahmas. I'll keep an eye on him. Hopefully I'll be getting a gentle one!
And thanks also to ranchruler- this is an ongoing project, I may add a Cornish or rir next year

I'll post pictures of our new boy soon!

Gritstar, would you be angry if I named him Thor? I loved the name...

Quote:
Personal preference I guess, but I'd go with a younger roo. Let the hens raise him and teach him how to be a gentleman. Mark my words, he'll get his butt handed to him a couple times if he doesn't behave, but unless there's blood drawn I'd leave it to the hens to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Right now I have a polish cockerel that's a little over 4 months old. Poor guy gets a whoopin' from my older hens at least once a day, but he's learning respect.

DON'T FORGET ABOUT QUARANTINE OF THE NEW BIRD, no matter how good the breeders facilities look.

Yep. Will definitely quarantine! My husband is glad you agreed with him. We'll get a younger one!

Thanks also for hipeatall's input on mean Brahmas. I'll keep an eye on him. Hopefully I'll be getting a gentle one!
And thanks also to ranchruler- this is an ongoing project, I may add a Cornish or rir next year

I'll post pictures of our new boy soon!

Gritstar, would you be angry if I named him Thor? I loved the name...

Not at all. It's a good strong name for good strong roosters.
smile.png

Quote:
I have only had SF hens. In fact, I started out with three and our triple digit temps. this summer killed two of them. They are definitely not suited for the summers we have here in SW Arkansas. The remaining SF struggles but she's doing okay.

I think the SF roos are pretty, but nothing beats a brahma in my book. I had Thor's son, a dark/light brahma cross, but he was enormous and had to go. He was much too large for my standard hens and wouldn't stay with the brahma girls no matter what I tried.
sad.png

Sorry that you had to get rid of TJ, Thor's son. Did your rehome or dispatch him ? Am hoping your new Polish rooster will work out they are hoot, and he won't be too much bigger than the other hens he is with.

Quote:
I have only had SF hens. In fact, I started out with three and our triple digit temps. this summer killed two of them. They are definitely not suited for the summers we have here in SW Arkansas. The remaining SF struggles but she's doing okay.

I think the SF roos are pretty, but nothing beats a brahma in my book. I had Thor's son, a dark/light brahma cross, but he was enormous and had to go. He was much too large for my standard hens and wouldn't stay with the brahma girls no matter what I tried.
sad.png

Sorry that you had to get rid of TJ, Thor's son. Did your rehome or dispatch him ? Am hoping your new Polish rooster will work out they are hoot, and he won't be too much bigger than the other hens he is with.

TJ was dispatched. Rowdy and Cash went to a new home. There was just too much chaos going on with all those teenage hormones.

I will be keeping one of the bantam cochin cockerels out of the soon to hatch eggs. I don't think I can depend on the polish roo "Ozzy" to protect the flock.

We have 3 Light Brahma cockerals, I am not a big fan of them. They were hand-raised and not real friendly. Also they are in a mixed flock and they are TOO BIG. They attempt to mate the bantums, they are clumsy even with the light brahma pullets, let alone their attempts at my production reds and the bantums. Just too big and not friendly. You have probably already sorted this out, but just wanted to share. It is like awkward teens at 21 weeks, they are all gusto and no finesse. They are going to "freezer camp" in next 2 weeks. I think several of my bantums have ceased laying because of the bohemouths! Good luck.

Well... I'm probably getting a 20 week old cockerel tomorrow. I will quarantine him in the basement, no contact with my flock.
Should I use Poultry dust on him and a dewormer, as a preventative? Maybe give him a bath?

Quote:
You might check him closely for signs of mites. I don't suppose a dusting would hurt him any. Ask what his medical care if any has been so far. I've only ever given one chicken a complete bath. That was my light brahma rooster Zeus. He decided to wallow in blue coop paint.
roll.png

Congrats.
smile.png

I have 7 presently 4 girls and 3 boys (we think) They are sweet, a little jumpy because they are in their teen stage before they really grow up, but they will come and sit with me and climb on my lap. Once I am holding them they are perfectly calm and will croon to me it's the coolest thing.

Back
Top Bottom