Your opinions please

Many people can't count!

For those people:

Born in 2015 = first year!

2016 for them this is the second year! ... So the bird is two years old!

Dany
KSKingbee sent an example of her pea at 1yr old, she did not see that it was already listed as a 2yr old in the initial thread. The first thread started by me has a BS that is 2yrs old (2014) but looks like a hen with features of a male. We are trying to figure it out. Take a look.

Gerald Barker

Dany
KSKingbee sent an example of her pea at 1yr old, she did not see that it was already listed as a 2yr old in the initial thread. The first thread started by me has a BS that is 2yrs old (2014) but looks like a hen with features of a male. We are trying to figure it out. Take a look.

Gerald Barker

Ok, call me her or she one more time and I will have to git after you...(private joke)

Yeah I can't count. A bird hatched this year is a chick. After January first even when it's only seven months old it is a yearling. The following January it is two years old even though it is only 19 months old. And so on. This is universal everywhere except in Hungary where they really can count.

Ok, call me her or she one more time and I will have to git after you...(private joke)

Yeah I can't count. A bird hatched this year is a chick. After January first even when it's only seven months old it is a yearling. The following January it is two years old even though it is only 19 months old. And so on. This is universal everywhere except in Hungary where they really can count.

Haha you got me, sorry Kingbee, I didnt notice that and I fat fingered the whole reply. It will not happen again,
1f601.png

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
lau.gif

Here is a peahen black shoulder 60% spalding of 7 month old ... ( father 70% X mother 50% = 120/2 = 60% ).◄ I can count ... right?

Front neck = brown.
Back neck = green .... not blue.

Well you could have shared that before!
tongue.png
When I enlarge the pic it gets real grainy, but I stick to my earlier comment mainly because of the train feathers. They look blockish to me, hens don't get blocky ends on their train feathers. I don't see a ridge on the side of the neck either, but that could just be the pic. A better pic of the top of the back would help. I don't see any blue or yellow in the face so I doubt any Green influence.

It very well could be a late 2014 hatch and is just slow to mature.

I would ask @DylansMom .
When I enlarge it gets too grainy as well. I started with BS Peafowl and have been breeding them for over 20 years, we've had a lot of BS hens, but none had that much green on the neck. I have never had a Spalding BS hen though, and I agree with Q8 that it is most likely a hen with some green influence. The tail and wings are ALL hen. My Midnight BS was a very dark hen, but even she didn't have that kind of color.

These are pictures of hens that laid and hatched a lot of chicks normally, also Wendy hen looks for sure 2 year old or older.

These are pictures of hens that laid and hatched a lot of chicks normally, also Wendy hen looks for sure 2 year old or older.

q8peafowl,
Super great example, maybe it is a spaulding bs hen. It just looks odd to me and it just doesn't look like it has green in it but your pics have made me rethink it. Quite possible it is a low % spaulding with a "way back gene" thats showing its self. Birdrain92 actually pointed that out to me prior to posting but I shunned it, sorry Jadyn. Thanks to everyone who is and still will chime in.

Gerald Barker

:lau Here is a peahen black shoulder 60% spalding of 7 month old ... ( father 70% X mother 50% = 120/2 = 60% ).◄ I can count ... right? Front neck = brown. Back neck = green .... not blue.
I would love to have that hen, she is beautiful! Nice pics Dany! Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom