1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Your opinions please

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by barkerg, Feb 19, 2016.

1. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Dany
    KSKingbee sent an example of her pea at 1yr old, she did not see that it was already listed as a 2yr old in the initial thread. The first thread started by me has a BS that is 2yrs old (2014) but looks like a hen with features of a male. We are trying to figure it out. Take a look.

Gerald Barker

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Ok, call me her or she one more time and I will have to git after you...(private joke)

Yeah I can't count. A bird hatched this year is a chick. After January first even when it's only seven months old it is a yearling. The following January it is two years old even though it is only 19 months old. And so on. This is universal everywhere except in Hungary where they really can count.

3. barkerg

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Haha you got me, sorry Kingbee, I didnt notice that and I fat fingered the whole reply. It will not happen again,[​IMG].

Gerald Barker

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    [​IMG]

Here is a peahen black shoulder 60% spalding of 7 month old ... ( father 70% X mother 50% = 120/2 = 60% ).◄ I can count ... right?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front neck = brown.
    Back neck = green .... not blue.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Here a low spalding black shoulder hen :

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  6. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Its a spalding black shoulder hen, i have seen hens like her before, sometimes the green blood will make all the neck colored.

1 person likes this.
  7. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are pictures of hens that laid and hatched a lot of chicks normally, also Wendy hen looks for sure 2 year old or older.

1 person likes this.
  8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017 Premium Member

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    When I enlarge it gets too grainy as well. I started with BS Peafowl and have been breeding them for over 20 years, we've had a lot of BS hens, but none had that much green on the neck. I have never had a Spalding BS hen though, and I agree with Q8 that it is most likely a hen with some green influence. The tail and wings are ALL hen. My Midnight BS was a very dark hen, but even she didn't have that kind of color.

9. barkerg

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas

q8peafowl,
    Super great example, maybe it is a spaulding bs hen. It just looks odd to me and it just doesn't look like it has green in it but your pics have made me rethink it. Quite possible it is a low % spaulding with a "way back gene" thats showing its self. Birdrain92 actually pointed that out to me prior to posting but I shunned it, sorry Jadyn. Thanks to everyone who is and still will chime in.

Gerald Barker

1 person likes this.
  10. barkerg

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    I would love to have that hen, she is beautiful! Nice pics Dany! Gerald Barker

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by