Your opinions please

barkerg

Songster
7 Years
Jun 28, 2015
Salado, Texas
Hello all,
Wendy (msmeower) from Golden Gaits Ranch, TN sent me pics of this bird this morning. Can you guys give us your observations please, its coming 2yrs old and just looks odd to me as well as Birdrain92.

Thank you,

Gerald Barker

Hello all,
Wendy (msmeower) from Golden Gaits Ranch, TN sent me pics of this bird this morning. Can you guys give us your observations please, its coming 2yrs old and just looks odd to me as well as Birdrain92.

Thank you,

Gerald Barker

Not so different than this guy I posted the other day;

Or his brother: actually more so like his brother.

I think he is a Black Shoulder that carries a white gene, possible WE, Pied, or SP.

2015 hatch, so it is now a yearling.

The issue with this bird is that its almost 2yrs old, "it" is a BS variety but at 2 yrs old should be a totally different bird. Wendy is suspecting its a hen and it does kinda look like a BS hen but, as Birdrain92 pointed out today, thats a lot of green on a BS hen and the tail is in serious question. Kinda resembles Connerhills unisex rooster to me.

Gerald Barker

It has a lot of green on its neck, but it sure looks like a hen to me. It will be interesting to see how she (he?) ages.

The issue with this bird is that its almost 2yrs old, "it" is a BS variety but at 2 yrs old should be a totally different bird. Wendy is suspecting its a hen and it does kinda look like a BS hen but, as Birdrain92 pointed out today, thats a lot of green on a BS hen and the tail is in serious question. Kinda resembles Connerhills unisex rooster to me.

Gerald Barker

Well you could have shared that before!
tongue.png
When I enlarge the pic it gets real grainy, but I stick to my earlier comment mainly because of the train feathers. They look blockish to me, hens don't get blocky ends on their train feathers. I don't see a ridge on the side of the neck either, but that could just be the pic. A better pic of the top of the back would help. I don't see any blue or yellow in the face so I doubt any Green influence.

It very well could be a late 2014 hatch and is just slow to mature.

I would ask @DylansMom .

Last edited:
At first I was thinking maybe a loud Pied or Silver Pied Black Shoulder but since it's 2 years old that's what has me confused. I saw photos of the unisex Black Shoulder which made me think maybe this is what this one is but I'm not sure. This one is so confusing. Also at the same time it makes me think hen because the premature train usually passes the tail feathers by the time they are 2 years old but it looks to have too much color to be a hen. Usually Black Shoulder Spalding hens get that red color it seems. So this is going to be a learning experience for me.

Last edited:
Many people can't count!
For those people:
Born in 2015 = first year!
2016 for them this is the second year! ... So the bird is two years old!

Back
Top Bottom