Your Thoughts & Advice?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
So for the next couple days, its going to get around mid to low 30s at night and we have a couple of molting hens. 2 of them have it worst! Our 2 black sex links are almost naked without their beautiful feathers.

Everyone seems to huddle up with each other during the night but what could I do to make it warmer for our molting hens?

I put fresh hay in there every 2-3 days for them to sleep on.
Their current coop isn't big enough for perches.

Mid to low 30's isn't too bad, however I have never had a molting bird in those temps. I actually never notice their molting I just notice I am getting less eggs. I am guessing that the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and high supply of protein rich worms that are available to most of my chickens has a lot to do with me not noticing feather loss. However that is a prevention thing and you have a current issue now that needs to be dealt with. I would suggest pictures of the birds so people with experience in dealing with such issues know the extent of the missing feathers. When I am in doubt with temps and chickens I add a heat lamp. Not sure if that is an option for you. In most cases coops are a bit warmer than the outside air and if you have no drafts then you should be in good shape.

They need roosts so they aren't sitting in their own poop all night. I have molting hens too. Lows have been in the single digits to teens. 30's isn't that cold they will be a bit cold but fine. Generally they sit closer to others on the roosts at night, so get your birds some roosts asap.

They need roosts so they aren't sitting in their own poop all night. I have molting hens too. Lows have been in the single digits to teens. 30's isn't that cold they will be a bit cold but fine. Generally they sit closer to others on the roosts at night, so get your birds some roosts asap.
As soon as we have time, we'll be building their future coop that will have roosts.
As I said in the post, their current coop isn't big enough.

Truthfully I think I would elevate them if possible. Even if you have to get creative. Maybe a diagonal perch from one corner to another. Reason: chickens defecate all night, if they are elevated, the poop falls away from them. Otherwise they are sitting in it, and it makes them wet and cold.

Perches will keep your birds cleaner and drier, both very important in cold weather.

As for the molting, bare birds, I would not worry about it unless they are showing signs such not moving, not eating, hunched in a corner. If they are active, bright eyed, eating and drinking well, they are doing just fine.

Mrs K

I need to say this.
They will get roosts/perches once we finish their future coop..
Please just stop saying that they need perches/roosts when we're unable to give them some. I already stated twice that their stupid coop isn't big enough for roosts/perches.....
If it was big enough, they would have already had some put in.

Please just give advice on keeping our molting birds warm. That's all I asked and what I what. I'm sorry if I come off as rude but I'm getting annoyed that I have to keep stating that their coop can't have any size of roosts due to the size of their coop.

So i looked back at another post and i see you have an a-frame style ground coop. If that is where they are, they may get chilled from the ground contact.
If you are putting lots of hay or straw under them and making sure they are not getting alot of drafts, i think they will be ok.
They have to have some venilation too as the condensation from there breathing causes dampness in that tight space.
Good luck!

So i looked back at another post and i see you have an a-frame style ground coop. If that is where they are, they may get chilled from the ground contact.
If you are putting lots of hay or straw under them and making sure they are not getting alot of drafts, i think they will be ok.
They have to have some venilation too as the condensation from there breathing causes dampness in that tight space.
Good luck!
That's the chick coop you saw.
Our flock coop is bigger than that.

Our flock coop is bigger than that.
Pics of said coop, inside and out?
You asked for thoughts and advice,
and need to be open to suggestions and willing to offer more info.
Roosts don't have to be 3' high, just getting them up off the floor can help...
.....and if you show us the coop we may have a solution for adding a roost.

Back
Top Bottom