You've GOAT to be KIDding me

Okay I'm gonna jump on this bandwagon as I've both worked with dairy cattle and researched dairy goats for years.

First: Yes goats are edible. But a fullblood dairy goat won't give you much meat UNLESS you're talking about crossing two dairy breeds and raising the males for meat. I.E Nigerian x Nubian is the best example.
Second: You don't have to keep neither a cow nor goat constantly pregnant for the female to produce milk. In fact, you shouldn't. Cows are bred about 60days after calving because cows are pregnant for 9 months and start drying up about 9 months after freshening (giving birth) so they get 2mo off to produce fresh milk, calve, milk for 60days, get bred, get dried up at 7mo gestation and repeat.
Goats are pregnant for 5 months and can milk for up to 2 years in the case of some Nubians. The general rule of thumb is to breed a doe about 3months into her lactation cycle and dry her up when she has 2months of gestation remaining.
Third: If you want to make cheese you need A LOT of milk so your best breed of choice is Saanan (basically the Holstein of goats). To make the kids worth more, breed her to a Boer buck.
Fourth: Goats are escape artists and not for people completely new to livestock. They take very strong and secure fencing to contain and lots of mental stimulation.
Fifth: Goats are foragers, not grazers. That means they can't just eat grass. Hay is a must and branches are a great addition to their diet.
Sixth: Goats do poop a lot and their poop is harder to clean than with cattle. Goats are also picky eaters and drinkers, so if hay is soiled or water is dirty, they will not eat or drink it.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask :)
The escape artist aspect is worrisome. Ill have to do research on the different types of enclosures. How much does an adult goat typically eat? Im thinking cost/investment.

returning to the original motivation, have you thought about making your own cheese from bought cow's milk? It's not self sufficient, but it is a step on the way to it :)

Okay I'm gonna jump on this bandwagon as I've both worked with dairy cattle and researched dairy goats for years.

First: Yes goats are edible. But a fullblood dairy goat won't give you much meat UNLESS you're talking about crossing two dairy breeds and raising the males for meat. I.E Nigerian x Nubian is the best example.
Second: You don't have to keep neither a cow nor goat constantly pregnant for the female to produce milk. In fact, you shouldn't. Cows are bred about 60days after calving because cows are pregnant for 9 months and start drying up about 9 months after freshening (giving birth) so they get 2mo off to produce fresh milk, calve, milk for 60days, get bred, get dried up at 7mo gestation and repeat.
Goats are pregnant for 5 months and can milk for up to 2 years in the case of some Nubians. The general rule of thumb is to breed a doe about 3months into her lactation cycle and dry her up when she has 2months of gestation remaining.
Third: If you want to make cheese you need A LOT of milk so your best breed of choice is Saanan (basically the Holstein of goats). To make the kids worth more, breed her to a Boer buck.
Fourth: Goats are escape artists and not for people completely new to livestock. They take very strong and secure fencing to contain and lots of mental stimulation.
Fifth: Goats are foragers, not grazers. That means they can't just eat grass. Hay is a must and branches are a great addition to their diet.
Sixth: Goats do poop a lot and their poop is harder to clean than with cattle. Goats are also picky eaters and drinkers, so if hay is soiled or water is dirty, they will not eat or drink it.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask :)

:goodpost: Very much sums it up! We have feral goats here, dairy and meat breeds that have been crossing naturally for about 100 years... they produce decent amounts of meat, but the milk quantity is more variable... yes there are some people working on catching and re-domesticating them. Goats are picky but voracious eaters.

If you’re going to eat the kids you will have to castrate them, Billies are an “acquired taste” I just can’t acquire! Father-in-law catches and castrates them, paints their horns to identify age and edibility, and releases them to hunt later. We do have some friends that hunt the uncastrated Billies as they prefer the taste... it reminds them of the goat they had “growing up back home” and they swear it’s superior in flavor... so maybe there’s a niche market there?

Actually, most cheeses are made with pasteurized milk.

Probably very true, just not the ones I buy... Never tried to make anything other than cottage cheese myself (and boy did I screw that up!). I’m still annoyed my former employer no longer gets in many of my favorite cheeses, after getting me addicted to them. I now have a cheese problem, it’s so tasty, but so bad for me.

I tend to buy really old, hard cheeses like aged gruyere and cloth-bound cheddars, mimmolet, and such because I’m very, very lactose intolerant. The cheese mites (yes they are real... and that’s why I can’t get my favorite cheese anymore!) and bacterial cultures digest the milk sugars so I’m able to eat those without “issues”. I can tolerate Goat cheese easily, but I’m not a fan of the flavor of goat milk... I just don’t drink milk at all.

I think it’s really amazing that people make their own cheese. One of my former co-workers made yogurt and keifir, and that impressed me to no end. I traded her my kombucha for yogurt, and I really miss it now that I’m living on the farm. I’d love to hear how it turns out!

Probably very true, just not the ones I buy... Never tried to make anything other than cottage cheese myself (and boy did I screw that up!). I’m still annoyed my former employer no longer gets in many of my favorite cheeses, after getting me addicted to them. I now have a cheese problem, it’s so tasty, but so bad for me.

I tend to buy really old, hard cheeses like aged gruyere and cloth-bound cheddars, mimmolet, and such because I’m very, very lactose intolerant. The cheese mites (yes they are real... and that’s why I can’t get my favorite cheese anymore!) and bacterial cultures digest the milk sugars so I’m able to eat those without “issues”. I can tolerate Goat cheese easily, but I’m not a fan of the flavor of goat milk... I just don’t drink milk at all.

I think it’s really amazing that people make their own cheese. One of my former co-workers made yogurt and keifir, and that impressed me to no end. I traded her my kombucha for yogurt, and I really miss it now that I’m living on the farm. I’d love to hear how it turns out!
Even though you live in Canada, you sound like us Wisconsinnites ;) We love our cheese!! I would die for a good goat cheese! Especially the soft cheeses! And sheep cheese makes me :drool

Back
Top Bottom