YUCCKKKYYYY!!! and a ?

hu.gif
ooo yuk! um I venture to say- is there fresh straw in the nest? I never had poop flavored!!! A while back I gathered pumkins from the area and wondered if they would be pumkin flavored-LOL! I didn't notice a differance.

All I can say is change the straw often in the nest, put fresh bedding under foot, make sure they are eating fresh things(as they will eat anything) and gather eggs everyday. Thats the best you can do.

OK, the eggs are always fresh. They only lay in the boxes, which I make sure have clean hay in them. Also, they are not eating odd veges or plants. Its dead winter up here.

I wonder if we have a chicken that has an odd taste for "leavings".
Its going to be hard to figure out which one though.....

You may have one that likes to eat "trail treats" like the racoons and other such critters leave. Or are yours confined 24-7? Or worse yet, one that has an unexplainable taste for chicken poop. If so, I do not know how you could ever correct that, and in fact I cannot think how to find the culprit in a flock of even moderate size. Game cam and endless hours of watching chooks do their thing?

Perhaps you are like The Princess and the Pea and have an exceptionally accute senses, especially when it comes to taste. Do others who eat your chickens' eggs notice the same bad taste? Do you notice other variations in taste with other foods?

What I wanna know is, how exactly do you know what poo tastes like, to be able to identify the flavor in your egg?

Before my girls were laying I bought a dozen from someone, Cracked open the first one and it exploded with the rankest smell I have ever encountered. It must have been old, overlooked. Sure glad I didn't hard boil it for devilled eggs. I have a story for ya. My chicks are bread crazy, so being the good mom I bought day old pumpernickle for them. They eventually ate it but not happily, lots of hovering and beak wiping. My husband takes hard boiled eggs on the road with him and he swore a few of those eggs tasted odd. Being a caraway seed hater, I'm glad I didn't get one. I'll take a garlic egg ant time.

Back
Top Bottom