1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yucky Bird Tush! Someone help us with this girl! (GRAPHIC PICTURES!)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChateauSheridan, Jan 18, 2014.

1. ChateauSheridan

ChateauSheridan New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Hey all-

Seeking some advice on one of my ladies. Here's the scoop:

Recently, we noticed one of our girls has a bare spot on her underside. About an inch under her vent, she has a bald spot about the size of a deck of cards. It's red, dry, featherless and slightly swollen. There's a "scab" on there and it's pretty crusty, as well. You can see all this in the first picture. Another one of our hens is sitting next to her, for comparison.

In the second picture, taken today (01/17) you can see the scab fell off, the redness is down and the feathers are starting to grow back. The vent looks clean and not red at all.

She's still laying an egg a day, eats and drinks as much as the other girls, and plays well with the others. No roosters. We live in Northern Michigan where the temps range from -10F to 30F in a matter of days and nights.

Just curious if you have any advice or concern for us.

Thanks for the help!

Here's the gross pictures!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    do you have rats?
    mice?

they like to nibble in chickens butts

3. ChateauSheridan

ChateauSheridan New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    Traverse City, Michigan
    No rodent problem that I'm aware of... I'll definitely give the run a once over tomorrow morning, though.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like it's healing OK...hard to say how it got injured...... check the coop and nests too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by