YUM ALONG PHOTO CONTEST No.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Ok... I've been kind of pushed to submit something. So here goes.

Italian Mac-n-Cheese (inspired by Rachael Ray) and Cannellini bean salad (inspired by Giada De Laurentiis) with toasted pine nuts and a garlic and herb infused balsamic vinaigrette

View attachment 1249385

For the salad, we use romaine lettuce, spinach that I picked today, chiffonade basil and parsley tossed with orange pepper, cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, sliced red onion, mixed Italian cheese, three cheese blend and cannellini beans that I canned. The dressing is garlic and herb (rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil and parsley) infused olive oil with balsamic vinegar and garnished with more basil, three cheese blend, a sprig of parsley and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.

View attachment 1249387
For the main course, we use fresh basil and parsley, Italian sausage, rigatoni, olive oil, butter, garlic, onion, mushroom, flour, crushed red pepper, chicken stock (from my chickens), heavy cream, pasta water, drained fire roasted tomatoes, fresh cherry tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, hot sauce, mixed Italian cheese and three cheese mix. After baking we garnish with some three cheese blend, basil chiffonade, parsley and fresh cherry tomatoes.

We start with the salad as it needs to marinade with the dressing.
View attachment 1249385 View attachment 1249387
Toasting the pine nuts... Won't tell you that I burnt the first batch. This whole photo thing is tough...View attachment 1249392
All of the ingredients ready to go togetherView attachment 1249393
Herbs infusing the oil in steeping...View attachment 1249394
The final salad.View attachment 1249395
Then the main course... Pasta an sausage cooking..
View attachment 1249426
Onions, garlic and mushrooms sauteing. View attachment 1249428

The cheese sauce and pasta before combining. I like mixing fresh and fire roasted tomatoes
View attachment 1249429
ready to go into the oven.View attachment 1249430

After it came out of the oven...
View attachment 1249437

And final plating...
View attachment 1249449 Ok this is my first contest submission. What did I do right and what do I need to improve on...

Wow, rjohns, that is AMAZING. Gorgeous pics. I didn't realize you were such an incredible chef!

Cooking is life, is it not?

Wow, rjohns, that is AMAZING. Gorgeous pics. I didn't realize you were such an incredible chef!

Cooking is life, is it not?
I was very pleased to see it.. I skipped breakfast so it gave me hunger pains..
And yes..Cooking is life. Makes life more enjoyable as well.

egg5.gif
A special thank you to the new visitors to the thread!
Nice to see some foot prints.. The timeline on the next competition will be much much shorter.
long arm hug.gif

I found deals on more prizes and they are boxed up in the closet. It is REALLY Killing me I can't share them.
masked.gif

We are @ the edge of half way..
1180407-0b3d7dfa938efedd60d3c050216eeba7.jpg.gif

A 30 day contest has me
nail biter.gif
on the edge of suspense too long.

Although, super plenty of time for newbie entries or second entries.
big grin.gif

I'll update the link list made by my new friend @Wolfgang B. soon. And keep quick linking the entries for easy access.. too many pages to sift through..
Thanks again folks..
chickn emoji.gif

Last edited:
This is just an update to my previous post. IT IS NOT AN ENTRY TO THE CONTEST. Son made these pizzas. Caveman not a cheater. :gig
DS came over and brought all the ingredients with. Dough was already proofed.
View attachment 1241341
Basic cheese..

View attachment 1241342
Basic Italian sausage.

View attachment 1241343
Prosciutto and peppers. Caveman will eat prosciutto since it has fire added:mad:

View attachment 1241344
No meat,,, Vegetable, and mushroom.

View attachment 1241348
Prebake
View attachment 1241349
Baked.
View attachment 1241350 View attachment 1241351
The sauce was Peeled whole tomatoes crushed before placing. Rest of ingredients were vegetables, and mushrooms. Also has fresh mozzarella inside. No meat in this one.

And for the finale. View attachment 1241352
All that was leftover. COMBO
View attachment 1241353
Baked,,,,

Most of the Immediate family was over. We ALL enjoyed. :drool To those far away, I sent them pictures.:lau
That can easily be turned into an entry. How is that cheating?:pop

Okay, I know I'm not taking part in the contest and I'm sticking my neck out, but may I make a suggestion as someone who has entered plenty of contests on BYC? It's kinda confusing having two threads with almost the exact same names. I keep a pretty close eye on my watched threads, and sometimes don't realize which one I've clicked on until I get here. Then there's confusion over contest vs thread.

The rules say that three photos of prep and 3 of finished meal. But then coming here shows photo after photo of the same recipe with the disclaimer that it's "not an entry, just for example." That adds to the confusion - am I looking at the original thread or the contest thread? Folks usually drop by when they have a few minutes.... not all of them spend a couple of hours straight on BYC but they just pop in. Those are the folks who don't have time to wade - they just want to see if there are any entries and either post, enter, or move on. Hope I don't hurt your feelings, but that's kinda how I see it. :oops:
Since you have been away, the specifications have been clarified, with the exception of the Title. That has to remain. Although.. links with a summary are being added to make it easier to navigate.
Thank you for your suggestions. I wish had had more input from day one, but regardless your suggestions still helped a bunch..

Entries..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yum-along-photo-contest-no-1.1215524/page-30#post-19485618

Simplified instructions..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yum-along-photo-contest-no-1.1215524/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yum-along-photo-contest-no-1.1215524/
I have changed the name of the Mother Thread but the Contest Name is locked in until the next one..
Again, thanks for your suggestions..
ducky.gif
thumb blue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom