Zebra...

Quote:
Ah. Well then this is some totally novel and strange (to me) definition of breaking in a horse, which I cannot even begin to fathom what it could possibly mean, so I have no idea how long it'd take to achieve that with a wild zebra stallion. I can tell you though that whatever you think you've achieved in a day, or a week, or a month, is not going to be of any useful RELIABILITY there.

Your descriptions sure do not match those of wild animal trainers I know in real life. And I dunno what it takes you a day from scratch to DO with a wild horse but it ain't TRAINING. Getting *ready* to train, perhaps; sitting on and towing around, sure. But not producing a reliable educated horse.

Best of luck to you in your adventures,

Pat

Last edited:
I have heard that a lot of wild caught zebras die in captivitiy by running blindly full speed into a wall when they are scared and breaking their necks when they spook. I would love very much to be allowed to take a life insurance policy out on your with double indemnity before you undertake this new hobby. I would make it for five million dollars. Thanks in advance for letting me insure your life. It means a LOT to me, about $10,000,000 actually... pretty please? I would even use some of it to care for the zebra for life, if he survives the accident. You owe it to the zebra!
lol.png
lau.gif
gig.gif

I'm not a wild animal trainer. I've cared for exotic animals & I'm a retired horse trainer who has ridden & worked a bit with donkeys, zebras & camels. It takes me less than a day to be riding a horse around at a walk bareback from never being handled. I just push as far as they let me & no further. If it takes a month, no problem, if it takes 10 min, no problem. I find it amazing how people get their hackles up though. I just asked a question for people who have actually broken in zebra & I have many unhelpful replies. What do you care if a stranger breaks their neck? The only advice I am looking for is well wishing & experience from people that have actually ridden zebra. To everyone else, shut it with your negativity-jeepers!

Quote:
Nah, not true. I'm sure a zebra is stronger than a donkey & you must see the great big arabs that ride these tiny donkeys around here..things live forever too!

Thanks Barred Rocks forever.

Training a zebra is not something I would ever attempt (I still have so much to learn about horses as it is), but I am certainly interested in hearing about your training experiences.

There are several reasons why people do not often ride zebras. One is because they are unpredictable and difficult to train. Two is because they are not built to carry weight for extended periods of time and it is very very difficult to find well fitting saddles. Zebras have much lighter bone structures and their backs are not suited to carrying weight well. Although related to horses, they are built very differently, especially since they have not been domesticated and bred for carrying riders. If you look at a zebra's back, it is more straight (different types of zebras have slightly different back structures) and they lack the muscling most horses have in their front ends. Their cannon bones are also thinner in comparison to the rest of their body. In short, zebras are built for carrying their own weight very quickly away from a predator, but not for carrying any additional weight. While zebras can be ridden (and I've seen a few zebras ridden in my lifetime) I have only ever seen them used for short parades or a stroll around the arena at horse expos.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you are looking for an animal that you can ride for an extended amount of time, a zebra is not that animal. In my limited experience, they are good for about 15 minute to a half hour rides, and even then they cannot be overly exerted with weight on their backs. They are not suited for trail (especially not a stallion who would stop at nothing to get at any female equine encountered on the trail).

Also, I would really recommend thinking about the sex of zebra you are considering. If you are planning to take this animal to shows, trailrides, etc. I would not get a stallion, or even a gelding if you are gelding it at the age of 2 or 3. Equines gelded late will typically retain stallion behaviors, especially if they are wild animals. I've seen it succesful with horses, but I've seen a good number of late gelded wild mustangs that still act like stallions. Any sex zebra will be unpredictable, but females or hand raised geldings would be much less so than a wild stallion. If you do decide on a wild stallion, I would not think it to be responsible to take it anywhere off your immediate property, as you would most likely (I'm assuming it is the same in your country) be responsible for anyone injured by the animal. Also remember that anyone entering your property, whether invited or not would be at risk of injury should they enter the zebra pen. (Think of how dangerous intact male dromedaries tend to be and multiply that a few times) Unfortunately with an animal like a zebra, no matter the sex it is a pretty sure thing that someone will be injured eventually. Having a stallion just increases the risk IMO.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from owning a zebra in any way, I'm just pointing out a few things I would think about before getting an animal like this. Please post updates if you do in fact decide to go ahead with this!

Last edited:
just dont get your hopes up for a broken to ride wild caught stallion in "weeks" YEARS mabe...if he survives the stress...
and hopefully you dont end up trampled to death trying to ride one...

personally id get yourself some experience riding BULLS, im not talking just riding a bull, im talking rodeo strapped bulls...
once your used to staying on one of them...(and moving out of the way QUICKLY when you hit the dirt...then you might be ready
they are nothing like donkey, wild or otherwise and make wild mules look like pussy cats...
they are also not built for carrying weight, most humans are much to heavy for more than 15 minutes barence on a good sized fully mature animal.

you also have to remember...
zebra are PREY animals...not just instinctual, a wild zebra would have experience...
a lions method of hunint is to drag the zebra from the BACK...the exact area your planning on sitting on...
the instinct of the animal is to remove the threat form the back then to kick and run....stalions however will often kick and then STOMP, they continue to stop the head untill the threat is no longer a threat... (we had one stallion who decided the geese were worthy of death and any crazy enough to land in their paddock...well i never want to clean up trampled goose ever again)
there also dang fast...

practice your fall and ROLL

i only warn because as much as i dont know you id rather not hear about how your now paralized (or dead) because you tried to tame and ride a wild caught stallion...
theres a challeng and then theres *blink blink*

but hey...
im supposedly crazy for working with hyena so...

i love zebras. i am zebra obessed. i have a tattoo of a star on my arm with zebra print inside. my blanket, pillow case, backback, make up bag, slippers, some clothes alllll zebra print.

i want a zebra and my mom laughed at me.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom