Zipping Help

mcs9886

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2018
ECAC38EA-4A18-4766-AB55-009225265763.jpeg
I have two chicks hatching. One is out now the other started to zip while we were gone. He doesn't look like he's alive anyone. It's a bad picture through the glass but does he look ok? Somehow humidity went up to 88% while we were gone, it was at 65% when we left. I have it back down to normal hatching humidity.

Can you see it's beak?
Make sure the beak it clear so chick can breathe.
It might be resting, it's a side pip(not in air cell)and can take twice as long to finish zipping and get out(~24 hours).

Have you read the assisted hatching info?
@WVduckchick will know how to link it, and be much more help than I here.

When a chick hatches the humidity rises form the moisture on the chick and in that egg shell, it's fine.

Did this one hatch??

For future reference, once a zip starts (which looks like the one in the picture was definitely zipping) they should finish the zip within an hour. They will pause for brief moments, but overall, a full zip shouldn’t take too long. If mine stop for more than 10-15 minutes without making another hit, I’m removing the air cell end of the shell for them.

I didn't see a beak or movement from taping or shining a light. The humidity did jump really high from the other chick hatching. I haven't been home in several hours, my son checked and still looks the same.

I didn't see a beak or movement from taping or shining a light. The humidity did jump really high from the other chick hatching. I haven't been home in several hours, my son checked and still looks the same.

Probably not a good sign if it hasn’t hatched by now. :(

And yea, it’s normal for the humidity to jump when some start hatching. They are wet, so it’s like throwing a sponge in the incubator. But it will go back down on its own, no problem.

Im so sad . This will be the second batch that only had one hatch. This is my third time hatching, I can't take them not hatching. I don't plan on hatching anymore.

Ehhh...I've had zip pauses longer than an hour, as long as beak is clear and chick is breathing I wait.

Really? I’ve had too many die in mid-zip. If they have started zipping, I feel they are ready, so I’ll pop the cap and let them kick out on their own. My lavender Orpingtons were especially bad about it.

Im so sad . This will be the second batch that only had one hatch. This is my third time hatching, I can't take them not hatching. I don't plan on hatching anymore.

So sorry. :hugs
Please keep trying. I know it’s heartbreaking, and but it does get easier. Your process improves every time and you learn more with each hatch. Losing them is never easy, but sadly it happens. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom