Zodiac Hatch-A-Long - Waxing Moon in Fruitful Signs HAL

Next setting for hatch under a waxing moon in Scorpio will be June 5, 6, 7 to hatch June 26, 27, 28 with the moon in Scorpio.
Your local times will vary slightly but for my longitude and latitude set time is 12:56 PM on the 5th till 10:21 PM on the 7th.
To find your local time click the edit button in the top black line to enter your country and city.
Find the time moon enters Scorpio and count back 3 weeks. The end time is when the moon enters Sagittarius.
For other hatches other than 21 days, adjust accordingly.
http://www.lunarium.co.uk/calendar/universal.jsp

I found this Humidaire hatcher on craigslist and was tempted to buy:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/grd/5044876800.html

However, I bought a $66 incubator to use as a hatcher and boy I am in trouble. Humidit reader is way off. I can live with that, however temperature is really wonky. Temperature was set to 100 F and with Brinsea Spot check top layer of air was at 99 so only a 1 degree difference so I raised it up to 101 degree. However, after placing the eggs, the bottom layer of air is around 95-97 degrees and top layer 100-101.I am not sure what to do now because that a big temperature difference. So I have a decision to make:

I got this hatcher because I had 9 Legbar eggs that were 3-8 days behind other eggs and I wanted to keep on turning them and not raise humidity for another few days. So I moved the eggs that needed to be lockdown to then hatcher and left the Legbar eggs behind. So now

Option 1: Leave the due eggs in the wonky hatcher (Day 19 started just now) and take a chance. But it worries me because they are precious Mauve Orpington eggs.

OR

Option 2. Break the lockdown, move back the precious eggs to the good incubator and move the Legbar eggs to the hatcher and take a chance with them for 3 days. When the Orpingtons hatch, move the Legbar eggs back into the good incubator. As far as I know there are no external pips, and possibly 1 internal pip only. They have been in the hatcher for 10 hrs now.

Really need some input real soon. Hopefully one of you is reading.

@bamadude @ChickenCanoe @ChicKat

Anyone else more than welcome!

@Junibutt Close to hatch, embryos can handle much larger temperature swings than the rest of the incubation period.
With that in mind, I'd leave them in the wonky one. Let's say the bottom is 96 and the top is 100. That means the middle is 98 and that will work for hatching.
Place the eggs close together and their embryonic energy will keep each other warm. The vibration of hatching also spurs the others on.

For more info that will help your choice, the following is chock full of good stuff.

http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

Last edited:
That is a tough dilemma Junibutt. I say if you can afford the craigslist hatcher...go for it

When I used little giant bators, I would buy freezer pops (the ones with the plastic wrapper) (not the ones with a stick) and put about 10-12 (unfrozen of course) in the bator. The thermal mass would help level out the temps some.

I'd leave the lock down eggs in the wonky one. As said before, they can handle a larger swing and your temp averages around 98 in the middle of the egg, which will be fine.

@Junibutt Close to hatch, embryos can handle much larger temperature swings than the rest of the incubation period.
With that in mind, I'd leave them in the wonky one. Let's say the bottom is 96 and the top is 100. That means the middle is 98 and that will work for hatching.
Place the eggs close together and their embryonic energy will keep each other warm. The vibration of hatching also spurs the others on.

For more info that will help your choice, the following is chock full of good stuff.

http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

The problem is that the middle is above the egg in laid down position. But you are right they should be able to withstand at this time. Just 2 days to go!

That is a tough dilemma Junibutt. I say if you can afford the craigslist hatcher...go for it

When I used little giant bators, I would buy freezer pops (the ones with the plastic wrapper) (not the ones with a stick) and put about 10-12 (unfrozen of course) in the bator. The thermal mass would help level out the temps some.

I'd leave the lock down eggs in the wonky one. As said before, they can handle a larger swing and your temp averages around 98 in the middle of the egg, which will be fine.
X2 on what I said above.

Thanks all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom