Zone 5 Gardeners United!

I pushed ahead with the growing season, weather report be damned.
I don't care if we do get another snow storm, I made another container garden and planted tomatoes.
They were going to die (or kill) my cats anyway, who couldn't keep their mouths off them. Just a little bit more leaf off every day.
I did another self watering style and set it in the sunniest, most well protected area. We'll see if I have an early season. I think most likely not. Tomatoes are so fussy.
IMG_20200421_145632.jpg

Hi guys! I'm in 5b. I've got tomatoes, borlotti beans, asparagus, loofah, melons, and some friesian peas a friend sent me from the netherlands, and lots of new blueberries and a few pawpaws started. If these hard frosts would knock it off, I'd be grateful. 😆

My best luck with bluberries has been when they get their morning coffee. Any I have leftover along with the grounds goes in a pot that goes out to them once a week. They seem to need the acidity in my case.

I've never had a very large garden. One year I did 20 self watering containers of tomatoes on a rooftop porch years ago. Last year tried growing, but had a yard that was largely shaded. The only thing that got enough sun and did well was my garden tower.

We moved and I brought my blueberries, polar white blackberry, grapes, blackberries, apple, pear, peach, and even asparagus our buyer didn't want and just about everything made it and is flourishing.

This year, lots of room and a neighbor who kindly tilled about a half acre for me to put in corn. Doing no dig in the rest of the garden as I don't have access to a cultuvator. So going to be trying all kinds of new things this year as well as trying to expand the permaculture we have.

We have bunnies the size of my cats to contend with so I'm sure this is going to be challenging. :)

I win the award for most lilacs trimmed. I recently moved and have extensive red Cyprus winbreaks around the property with a row of lilacs in front of them. Lots of dead branches, jackrabbit damage and minimal care and water. Bushes are only averaging 3 feet tall and they could be 15 years old. 2 days of trimming and cleaning up around them. Still have dead wood to cut out but that can wait. Spent a 3rd day watering and fertilizing . 90 bushes and with a few ?s that haven't started to leaf out, I could be over 100. Good thing lilacs are one of my favorites and that they do great in Colorado. This is where most of them are at
20200422_095501.jpg
some need lots more love

Attachments

• 20200422_095512.jpg
    20200422_095512.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
I win the award for most lilacs trimmed. I recently moved and have extensive red Cyprus winbreaks around the property with a row of lilacs in front of them. Lots of dead branches, jackrabbit damage and minimal care and water. Bushes are only averaging 3 feet tall and they could be 15 years old. 2 days of trimming and cleaning up around them. Still have dead wood to cut out but that can wait. Spent a 3rd day watering and fertilizing . 90 bushes and with a few ?s that haven't started to leaf out, I could be over 100. Good thing lilacs are one of my favorites and that they do great in Colorado. This is where most of them are atView attachment 2103422 some need lots more love
:eek:
Award granted!

The peas are in the ground! Worked on my raised bed this weekend and set regular and sugar snap peas. I still have one more wheelbarrow of fill to put in there, and a little more time and I can finish up.
This weekend I also got three blueberry bushes. Needed to prep before they can go in.
@Percheron chick you've inspired me, I'm going to work on my lilacs today!

Hi guys! I'm in 5b. I've got tomatoes, borlotti beans, asparagus, loofah, melons, and some friesian peas a friend sent me from the netherlands, and lots of new blueberries and a few pawpaws started. If these hard frosts would knock it off, I'd be grateful. 😆

My best luck with bluberries has been when they get their morning coffee. Any I have leftover along with the grounds goes in a pot that goes out to them once a week. They seem to need the acidity in my case.

I've never had a very large garden. One year I did 20 self watering containers of tomatoes on a rooftop porch years ago. Last year tried growing, but had a yard that was largely shaded. The only thing that got enough sun and did well was my garden tower.

We moved and I brought my blueberries, polar white blackberry, grapes, blackberries, apple, pear, peach, and even asparagus our buyer didn't want and just about everything made it and is flourishing.

This year, lots of room and a neighbor who kindly tilled about a half acre for me to put in corn. Doing no dig in the rest of the garden as I don't have access to a cultuvator. So going to be trying all kinds of new things this year as well as trying to expand the permaculture we have.

We have bunnies the size of my cats to contend with so I'm sure this is going to be challenging. :)
Agnes, what are fresian peas like? I did a search and only came up with horses and Snert! (Pea soup, I kid you not)
http://www.jannekes.eu/frisian/frisian-peasoup.html

P.s, my bunnies are like cows

Agnes, what are fresian peas like? I did a search and only came up with horses and Snert! (Pea soup, I kid you not)
http://www.jannekes.eu/frisian/frisian-peasoup.html

P.s, my bunnies are like cows
Haha!!! Love the soup name! Will have to ask my friend about it. The peas themselves are brown with green inside. I have never seen them here. Can't wait to try them actually. Thanks for sharing the link!

Back
Top Bottom