2015 August hatch-a-long!!

@Frankie Ruiz
I'm so sorry to hear that. That's awful to have to experience. What kind of dog do you have? I hope you give it another try. I know some people brood in a dog crate you could do that. Then your dog shouldn't be able to get to them.

@Frankie Ruiz
I'm so sorry to hear that. That's awful to have to experience. What kind of dog do you have? I hope you give it another try. I know some people brood in a dog crate you could do that. Then your dog shouldn't be able to get to them.
It's a lab mix :/. it really sucks because they were eggs from a breeder in PA so its a 4 hour drive and the breeder doesnt ship eggs I happened to be in the area and bought some eggs from him last time. i had a great hatch with his eggs so I WILL be making the 4 hour trip again. Also, I brood outdoors the only reason the chicks were in my room were because I had just taken them out of the incubator and they were drying up in a box under a heat lamp :( poor chicks. it made me want to never hatch again I felt like a horrible chicken parent. how could I let my babies get killed?! :mad:

Hey guys I ended up having a great hatch. 29 out of 34 that made it to lock down. but unfortunately my dog jumped over my room gate and mauled every chick but 4 to death
sad.png
this really sucks I feel so bad for those poor little birds

I'm so sorry. That is so hard.
sad.png

Don't beat yourself up about it. Dogs will be dogs, chickens will be chickens. Our dogs would chase our rabbit, our cat killed some of our chicks, our ferrets went after an orphaned bird we had. It is very stressful and sometimes difficult to try to keep all the animals apart.

Last edited:
Oh no I'm sorry my Dear. That explains why his comb is so developed at nine weeks. If you need some hens come up here I have a couple buff Orpingtons I'd like to rehome and maybe an isa brown too. Plus a pair of silkies :)

Eehhh I knew there was a good chance. I was picking in the dark just about. I would love love love to!!!! And I am sorry hon I will respond to the pm asap. I've been busy and not feeling too well. I haven't even been on here much. Anyone noticed?? Lol

Hey guys I ended up having a great hatch. 29 out of 34 that made it to lock down. but unfortunately my dog jumped over my room gate and mauled every chick but 4 to death :( this really sucks I feel so bad for those poor little birds

Gosh how do you really get someone who can't see you to grasp your heartache for them? I'm so so sorry for you. We just bought a 7 month old German Shepard. He wants to eat our chickens,goats and cats!!! So he's either in his pen ,on a leash or while inside the house,we separate he and the cats. I would be just devastated.........my prayers are with you. For comfort.

Awe I think you should try again.
263a.png
Yup Shepards are my husbands favorite dog. Very pricey! We wanted a pup for those very reasons,however,we just couldn't handle all of the time and commitment it takes. Although I will say this,even this 7 month old is very time consuming. And still chews on everything! Ugh it's frustrating but he's such a lush !!! Can't help but to love him!!! We went to a breeder. Only GS. Again...a lot of money.

@Gloryjasmine
Well firstly of course I noticed and I'm sure I wasn't the only one and I'm sorry you're not feeling well Hun.

And Frankie again I'm so sorry our great dane, Bella, has gone after the girls a few times when they get spooked and I've just about hog tief and muzzled her and left her laying in the yard for them to beat up. Of course I'd never really do it but the thought is intriguing and makes me feel better. Incidentally I think it would teach her a lesson. In fact my favorite hen Lily did grab her square on the nose the first time that dog got in her face. You shoulda seen Bella, "Run Mommy run! It's possessed, I say possessed!!" Bella still jumps at and barks and acts aggressively towards one of our five cats just one I don't understand her. But sorry for getting sidetracked. I just want to say that I can't imagine the pain guilt and frustration that you must be feeling, Frankie, but you need to realize that it wasn't your fault and to forgive yourself. We had one of our first set of chicks drown when she fell asleep in the waterer(I had gone to eat lunch and take a break from sitting on the sun porch floor- I was gone an hour tops) and I thought why didn't I know to put marbles in the waterer? Why wasn't I in there. Things happen and its no more your fault than mine.

Now Glory get your tush up here then lol Mike mentioned that I was supposed to sell some of the silkies and I haven't sold any. And you know my current hatch is going depressingly so I figure if you come get some birds he'd let me hatch once more this year(there's a bycer who has offered me some free orp mix(could be pure orp plus they have ee, a ccl, and lav and black orps) hatching eggs free but he says no BC of space and too many birds etc. I'm secretly hoping he will take pity on my awful hatch rate this time and let me get them. They're fromIL and they wouldn't be shipped. The new roo just started breeding and theorps are 50% English. Mike has no idea what an opportunity this is. We've been looking for lavenders all year but they've all been so expensive and the roo is black split to lavender. Ugh I'm dieing inside. It wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't gotten me the Buttercup eggs as a surprise. You know I'm well aware of the gamble but Im not sure which of us is more bummed with these eggs so far. We have three that look promising.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it so much. I took the trip up to PA yesterday. It was an 8 hour round trip ride but I don't care I got my eggs again!! Hahahaha!!! This time I even got a few cream legbar eggs along with welsummers, bbs marans, and bbs ameraucanas! Very happy camper right now. Egg are going in the incubator in a few!

Back
Top Bottom