2015 August hatch-a-long!!

First one out!

So adorable

HI, having issues here with humidity. I think my humidity has been high. Have an LG9200 still air styrofoam bator. did like the directions said and filled the water troughs but I didn't have a hygrometer. My eggs are all at different stages when they went into the bator and I thought I had a couple that should be at day 21 or close. No pips yet. The one egg that looks farthest along is completely black except the air cell. The air cell is on the side rather than the top. Is this going to be an issue? Also I have been looking at the diagrams about the air cells and how big they should be at this stage. These eggs are very small and so they don't match up well to the diagram, but percentage of air space to egg looks about right.

Today I finally found a hygrometer at the store and put in in the bator. Said humidity is 80+. I know that is high so I emptied the water trays and the humidity didn't really go down much. maybe 75 or so. (my hygrometer might be in accurate) only one the store had too.
Any suggestions? My eggs all looked good and there was movement in all of them yesterday. today all have movement except the one that I mentioned that seems to be most developed. I don't know if I just can't see any movement because the chick is now so big or if it died.

Any suggestions for me... yes I am a meddler and just can't wait to see how this turns out. First batch also.
Please send me your good info.
thanks

I have the 12 in the incubator that are due on the 21st and my silkie just went broody yesterday on 3 eggs so about the 29th-ish for hers. :)

HI, having issues here with humidity. I think my humidity has been high. Have an LG9200 still air styrofoam bator. did like the directions said and filled the water troughs but I didn't have a hygrometer. My eggs are all at different stages when they went into the bator and I thought I had a couple that should be at day 21 or close. No pips yet. The one egg that looks farthest along is completely black except the air cell. The air cell is on the side rather than the top. Is this going to be an issue? Also I have been looking at the diagrams about the air cells and how big they should be at this stage. These eggs are very small and so they don't match up well to the diagram, but percentage of air space to egg looks about right.

Today I finally found a hygrometer at the store and put in in the bator. Said humidity is 80+. I know that is high so I emptied the water trays and the humidity didn't really go down much. maybe 75 or so. (my hygrometer might be in accurate) only one the store had too.
Any suggestions? My eggs all looked good and there was movement in all of them yesterday. today all have movement except the one that I mentioned that seems to be most developed. I don't know if I just can't see any movement because the chick is now so big or if it died.

Any suggestions for me... yes I am a meddler and just can't wait to see how this turns out. First batch also.
Please send me your good info.
thanks

If the air cell is on the side, then there could be a problem, as the chick will likely suffocate. I would suggest opening up the airsac at hatching time. There will be bleeding, but this at least gives the chick a chance. Just a small hole is enough to allow breathing. If it does bleed, press paper towels to it to stop the bleeding. Take care the chick doesn't inhale its own blood.

Best of luck!

So my second chick has minor splay leg. So I did the bandaid fix and put him back in the bator. He is kinda laying on his side a bit. Is that normal or did i bandaid wrong?

So my second chick has minor splay leg. So I did the bandaid fix and put him back in the bator. He is kinda laying on his side a bit. Is that normal or did i bandaid wrong?

When I tried this on my chick, it just fell over. However, I later learned that my chick had paralysis, not splay leg, so I'm really not sure. Just make sure it isn't over heating and that it stays hydrated. Hopefully it will heal with-in a couple days and can then learn to walk.

Best of luck!

A lot will do that when they get the tape/bandaid on. I put them in a cup or short glass to help them stay up. I put a paper towel in the cup for them so it isn't slippery. I use electrical tape for my babies. A lot of folks think..what? But it's easy to work with, and it comes off pretty easy too.

Here is my solo chick from my first hatch. Pipped at the wrong end, but made it out unassisted. The other 5 in with her were deformed or all in the wrong positions, so not sure with what happened to this hatch. Temps and humidity seemed great from all the reading, no power outages or huge fluctuations from what I saw, but who knows. I was happy I got one!
I do have my incubator full again, so fingers crossed for 21 days!

Back
Top Bottom