2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Day 7 - candled my 8 serama/frizzles (ebay shipped) last night. 2 possibly not fertile/no veins, 1 with blood ring, 2 with veins but no movement or growth, 3 are wiggling around with good veins and air sacks. temp steady at 99.5 and humidity 50. Hoping the two with veins are just off to a late start. will re-candle on day 14 and remove the duds before lock down. I'm a newbie and open to any advise or suggestions.
thanks

Day 7 - candled my 8 serama/frizzles (ebay shipped) last night. 2 possibly not fertile/no veins, 1 with blood ring, 2 with veins but no movement or growth, 3 are wiggling around with good veins and air sacks. temp steady at 99.5 and humidity 50. Hoping the two with veins are just off to a late start. will re-candle on day 14 and remove the duds before lock down. I'm a newbie and open to any advise or suggestions.
thanks
Some shipped eggs show development more slowly, but if they have veins that is awesome!!

Thanks for the info. the problem is I don't know for sure when this egg is due to hatch. I know they have been in my bator for 2 weeks but when they were given to me all of the eggs were at different stages. My son just grabbed eggs that he had in his coop and brought them over. some he knew were just laid and others he said might be a week old. So this one with the side air pocket looks to be the oldest one. but I still don't know if it is at day 21 or how much earlier so I don't want to poke a hole in there if it's not ready.

Not sure if this matters or not but these eggs are really small and almost round. Like golf ball size. I was hoping the air cell on the side wouldn't be a problem if I put the egg with the air cell facing up.

What do you think? any other ideas that might help. This is my first hatch and I would feel terrible if I poked a hole in there and killed it.
thanks

Thanks for the info. the problem is I don't know for sure when this egg is due to hatch. I know they have been in my bator for 2 weeks but when they were given to me all of the eggs were at different stages. My son just grabbed eggs that he had in his coop and brought them over. some he knew were just laid and others he said might be a week old. So this one with the side air pocket looks to be the oldest one. but I still don't know if it is at day 21 or how much earlier so I don't want to poke a hole in there if it's not ready.

Not sure if this matters or not but these eggs are really small and almost round. Like golf ball size. I was hoping the air cell on the side wouldn't be a problem if I put the egg with the air cell facing up.

What do you think? any other ideas that might help. This is my first hatch and I would feel terrible if I poked a hole in there and killed it.
thanks
If all the eggs started incubating at the same time, then they would all be due by the same time. You start counting days from the day you set eggs in the incubator, not from the time the egg was laid. For example, if you set eggs on a Monday, 3 Mondays later, the eggs are due.

My eggs are on lockdown. I really hope they hatch.

I almost lost my silkie chick from pasty and so after she got a bath she was held for a while, then put into their original box until 1:30 am in the morning. She kept waking me up with her cheep!!!!!!
I put her back out and she seems to be doing well.

However, I lost one of my pet chickens to a hawk this morning as well and one that ran away when scared is still missing.
sad.png
Its been stressful.

RIP Galadriel.

Ida 've my first three eggs starting to hatch! I had an absolute panic attack this morning because I forgot to check the incubator before we left the house to make an almost 4 hour round trip to help my husband's grandfather fix his tractor. We just got home an hour ago and I looked in on the eggs and three of them are rolling around and I can hear them taping at the shells and starting to break through.

Last edited:
Hoping to see pictures of everyone's newly hatched babies!

One of my heavier hens decided to lay an egg inside the nest box my broody is in and she stepped on and crushed one of the eggs! So now I'm down to 3/7 eggs...

I'm hearing chirping. Still have a couple of days to hatch, with all of these eggs, and how close some looked at lock down, I won't be surprised if I get some early birds.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom