2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Sounds fun! Don't worry, participating is a lot of fun, even if no pictures show up.

If she shows a promise to stay, let her have egg she can completely cover and that are all around the same age (if you can help it). Mark these eggs with a pencil or something so you know which ones are hers. Replace the bedding with fresh so it doesn't smell, some time when she is off feeding.

Best of luck!
smile.png
Again because of the heat, I have not been out gathering or even looking at eggs. I don't have any to give her to start fresh so the best I can do is guess age while candling.

For now the plan is to just toss the stinky ones and anything that's remotely questionable, so that they will all fit. Lucky for me she's kind of a big girl and by far my most dominant hen, plus it's stinkin' HOT so even the ones that don't fit well will still be warm. In fact last year my hens decided to hide and hoard eggs behind the hen house. Neither of them was broody not one bit, but every single egg showed signs of development when I found them, three weeks later, and most of them were still alive. God bless the Texas heat.

I can probably do better once she's been on them for another week. Oh well. A large failure rate doesn't bother me. Broody hens make free chicks anyway, so I'm not going to complain. Thank you for the good wishes.

Well there we have it. Broody hen had a whopping 32 eggs under her!
ep.gif
One was stinky and two had blood rings. Most of the rest were clear or had iffy signs of veins so she hasn't been on them for more than a day or three. I didn't cull as ruthlessly as I originally wanted and I left her with all 29 iffy eggs. Lucky most of them seem to fit under her amble backside fairly easy. I'll wait a week and see what she's been able to manage after that. If worst comes to worst, the other hens are locked out of the chickpen now so I'll have replacement eggs for her within a few days if needed.

Oh, she also returned to the eggs of her own accord for the second time today so I think she's serious this time.

Well there we have it. Broody hen had a whopping 32 eggs under her!
ep.gif
One was stinky and two had blood rings. Most of the rest were clear or had iffy signs of veins so she hasn't been on them for more than a day or three. I didn't cull as ruthlessly as I originally wanted and I left her with all 29 iffy eggs. Lucky most of them seem to fit under her amble backside fairly easy. I'll wait a week and see what she's been able to manage after that. If worst comes to worst, the other hens are locked out of the chickpen now so I'll have replacement eggs for her within a few days if needed.

Oh, she also returned to the eggs of her own accord for the second time today so I think she's serious this time.

Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

I candled this morning, I only did it to a few and I'll go back later so thereon didn't drop much. All of them had development and I saw a few embrioes move!!! So exciting.

I have some mix-breeds under a broody. I can't wait to see what comes out of them.
smile.png
I have pure-bred eggs in my incubator, Orloffs, as I really wanted a few for my flock. They are only a few days in, however.

I have multiple breeds. I should have the following:
Buff Orpington
Rhode Island Red
Americana
White Leghorn (maybe)
I think that's it. Oh, and I just candled one row of eggs, and they look like they're developing properly! It has been a week so far :3

I love when there is a variety of different color chicks. It looks so cute!!

Back
Top Bottom