2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Well on there last hatch,they both killed a barred rock chic. They both had barred rock chicks hatch under them and for some reason,pecked a couple to death. And they are not barred rock mamas. My barred rock isn't setting. Neither is my bantam.....although they're both thinking about it! I was able to save the last one. Which to me,is just as normal as the other yellow/brown chicks. Thanks though I do appreciate your help. God bless.

Last edited:
Sharing moms..don't always do well together. :/ Sad but true, they will fight over the chicks, or get confused and just pick at them. Will see if I can find some info for this. On the other hand, a lot of hens will do just fine sharing babies.

Not sure if you were talking about sharing mama hens. Here is a thread on just that..two broody hens. This thread shares mostly good news. :)

Sorry for your loss on those babies. If this was a separate incident, with single broody moms..that is sad. I have put so many different babies under different breeds of hens, and they have done fine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-two-hatches-in-the-same-coop-will-that-work

Last edited:
Oh I've confused you....
1f615.png
I'm sorry. Yes it was an incident of single broody hens. Both reacting to their gray colored young the same exact way. Maybe they were copying? Ok so they each had their own babies. And each had mixed eggs hatch. Each bonded with their yellows but hated their grays. Weird! So the cool thing is even though they have their own babies...now they do about everything together! They trust each other with their chicks and the chicks respond well to their "other mama"! They know who their true mother is too. I think it's way cool. Because one that's on fertile eggs,Gabby,almost never leaves her nest. And so the other mama,Wilson,takes her babes as well as Gabbys out to range. Pretty neat I think. Wilson's on fertile eggs too,but she leaves a bit more than Gabby. I just don't get why neither one approved of the grays. And I am thinking Wilsons may be behind in hatching due to the lesser amount of incubation time. They both started day 1 on 7-23. Any thoughts?(Gabbys almost on hers 24/7 and Wilson is about 3/4 of that) God bless

Last edited:
Yea! My incubator load is starting to hatch! I hope to farm them out gradually to the setting white leghorn phenomenon!

These were brown shells, one with yellow on face and wingtips possibly from BA hen? (have Prod'n Reds, Barred Rock and BSLs too) The Roo is BSL

Ohhhhh the turkeys and the chicks are soooooooo cute!! I want some turkeys! I think you may have a barred rock (mix) there.... Maybe (Ugadano). Congrats to you both!! Today is day19 for my two broody hens clutches. I'm excited and feeling so anxious! Sustain me Lord! I'm being impatient.
1f633.png
1f61d.png
God bless you both. Love the pics. :thumbsup

Oh I've confused you....
1f615.png
I'm sorry. Yes it was an incident of single broody hens. Both reacting to their gray colored young the same exact way. Maybe they were copying? Ok so they each had their own babies. And each had mixed eggs hatch. Each bonded with their yellows but hated their grays. Weird! So the cool thing is even though they have their own babies...now they do about everything together! They trust each other with their chicks and the chicks respond well to their "other mama"! They know who their true mother is too. I think it's way cool. Because one that's on fertile eggs,Gabby,almost never leaves her nest. And so the other mama,Wilson,takes her babes as well as Gabbys out to range. Pretty neat I think. Wilson's on fertile eggs too,but she leaves a bit more than Gabby. I just don't get why neither one approved of the grays. And I am thinking Wilsons may be behind in hatching due to the lesser amount of incubation time. They both started day 1 on 7-23. Any thoughts?(Gabbys almost on hers 24/7 and Wilson is about 3/4 of that) God bless

Me confused? lol...nothing new. This old lady gets more and more confused as the yrs. fly by. I just share what I've experienced or read.
Well, that is really very interesting that they did not like those gray babies. Little stinkers! Sure sounds cute that they hang around each other with their little ones. That would be really cute to watch..I just love chickens! Now that you've got the hatch down, you can keep asking questions here, or, go to the raising chicks threads. So many out there that can help you with any question you might have.

I have some babies out this morning. Two out and more pipped. These were e-bay eggs, so shipped, and they did really well. Others due day after tomorrow. I'm in for some babies. Will get some photos of some fluffed babies.

Love love the baby photos! Those little turkeys are so cute. They make the cutest sounds when they are little don't they?

The baby chicks are cute ..oooh..is that a blue chick in your hand? I really like blue's.

@Pugg Don't be scared. Enjoy. :) So many threads to help you out on here..or ask here for a while..here is the thread..you may already be aware of it..just ask away. Folks on BYC love to help out. :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom