Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I know this is from a few days ago, but nobody addressed it. If you got feather legged lavenders they are NOT from a "great line". As far as I am concerned- there are no "great lines" of lavenders even out there yet. If I were the breeder I would want to know that they came from my birds and I would never use them for anything but a laying pen or maybe EEs.
Using birds with a fault like that is a big step backwards that this project variety does not need.

Quote:
Maybe I should have elaborated more. By "great Line" I mean this person is a long time member of the ABC, not BYC. They are a very reputable breeder. I am very aware that this is a serious fault, and I am also aware that this is something that others have gotten from chicks they hatched. This particular "breeder "has many more than 10 yrs experience in breeding. Many of us post so that we may get input on opinions and such and I appreciate the input from both of you. I am not new to Ameraucanas.

Just a question: Why is it automatically assumed that I believe everything I read online or that these came from an unsuccessfull ignorant "breeder"?
It was just a post for input...maybe this is why some don't post much, for fear of being chewed at
smile.png

My comment was a general comment and that is why I did not quote you. I did say to get rid of the birds with feathers on the legs, but I don't know you or for that matter most of the other people here. Like everyone else I am posting my opinions. I had no automatic opinion of you..I don't know what your capabilities are, you could be the best breeder on the world....I don't know. If you read the whole thing I posted I am saying that feathers on the leg can pop out of almost anything and that is not necessarily the breeder fault. If this was meant that for you, I would have quoted you as I am now doing.

I was trying to be helpful by saying to check out their credentials. I had no idea where you got the birds, nor do I care. Just giving some practical advice to the three other people besides you and me that read this thread. I did that because it seems as if the AM folks ..at least the beginners are lied to a lot. That comment was not directed to you.

Walt

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I should have elaborated more. By "great Line" I mean this person is a long time member of the ABC, not BYC. They are a very reputable breeder. I am very aware that this is a serious fault, and I am also aware that this is something that others have gotten from chicks they hatched. This particular "breeder "has many more than 10 yrs experience in breeding. Many of us post so that we may get input on opinions and such and I appreciate the input from both of you. I am not new to Ameraucanas.

Just a question: Why is it automatically assumed that I believe everything I read online or that these came from an unsuccessfull ignorant "breeder"?
It was just a post for input...maybe this is why some don't post much, for fear of being chewed at
smile.png

My comment was a general comment and that is why I did not quote you. I did say to get rid of the birds with feathers on the legs, but I don't know you or for that matter most of the other people here. Like everyone else I am posting my opinions. I had no automatic opinion of you..I don't know what your capabilities are, you could be the best breeder on the world....I don't know. If you read the whole thing I posted I am saying that feathers on the leg can pop out of almost anything and that is not necessarily the breeder fault. If this was meant that for you, I would have quoted you as I am now doing.

I was trying to be helpful by saying to check out their credentials. I had no idea where you got the birds, nor do I care. Just giving some practical advice to the three other people besides you and me that read this thread. I did that because it seems as if the AM folks ..at least the beginners are lied to a lot. That comment was not directed to you.

Walt

BuffyGRL, Whether Walt or anyone else admits it or not, I'm afraid many here would form an opinion of your breeding experience since you asked about whether to breed stubble shanked lav Ams. Nothing wrong with being a green beginner, nor asking green questions; or if so, I'm very, very wrong.
tongue.png

Even though I barely qualify as a beginner, I still have opinions on how to breed.
tongue.png
So in my newbie opinion:
One bird in several generations may be an anonmally that needs to be culled; several in one hatch means a serious problem in one or more parents. Getting several from a breeder indicates to me they have a serious problem with their stock. When I recently found a stubble shanked Ameraucana, I notified the breeder out of courtesy.

Last edited:
Quote:

Walt

BuffyGRL, Whether Walt or anyone else admits it or not, I'm afraid many here would form an opinion of your breeding experience since you asked about whether to breed stubble shanked lav Ams. Nothing wrong with being a green beginner, nor asking green questions; or if so, I'm very, very wrong.
tongue.png

Even though I barely qualify as a beginner, I still have opinions on how to breed.
tongue.png
So in my newbie opinion:
One bird in several generations may be an anonmally that needs to be culled; several in one hatch means a serious problem in one or more parents. Getting several from a breeder indicates to me they have a serious problem with their stock. When I recently found a stubble shanked Ameraucana, I notified the breeder out of courteousy.

If I knew that I had a problem with stubs in my flock I wouldn't sell any birds until fixed it. That's just me though. Many breeds can have a little whispy feather somewhere between the toes on a bird every 100 birds or so, but feathers on the shank is a much more serious problem. When I am judging there are certain breeds that I will spend a few seconds longer to really check between the toes because I know they may be there. And if I find a bloody hole on the feet or shank I will also DQ the bird. To me it is better to breed it out rather than pull it out. Pulling a feather(s) from shanks or feet is considered faking.

Walt

Last edited:
Quote:
Not a dumb question at all!!
smile.png
If the person had multiple varieties of true Ameraucana housed together the resulting offspring would be considered EEs because they are no longer true to standard and will not breed true.

On the topic of beards muffs, etc...if you breed a bearded / muffed bird to a non bearded bird, the resulting offspring will have one copy of the beard/muff gene, and a sparse beard/muffs. Then if you breed those offspring together, some of the next generation will have 2 copies of the beard/muff gene and a nice full beard muff, but are still not pure bred birds. Does that help?
smile.png
The problem stems from the fact that hatcheries sell EEs as "Ameraucanas" all the time. The people you got the eggs from probably really do think that they have true Ameraucanas. One of the EEs I had a couple of years ago laid the bluest egg I have ever seen. I also still have an EE (my favorite hen ever) that lays a brown egg, looks just like a Wyandotte egg, and I've also had one that laid a pink egg with white speckles on it.
smile.png

Thanks very much, all of you. I guess for a small backyard flock owner who raises chickens just for the fun of it, it's OK then to have EEs instead of the real thing. I will speak to the breeder, as she is a bit new to this also, as it does set up certain expectations when you're told you have the true Ameraucana. A sense of pride, maybe? One of the people who responded to my question (in a private email) said I probably have ended up with just "backyard" chicks. That stings, when you think you're raising a true breed. But I'll accept the responses of those of you have told me that it's perfectly OK to have EEs which look like Ameraucanas. I just won't make any claims if I have to sell any down the road. I'm hoping now that I might at least have one or two females here, so I can at least get some blue eggs, just for fun. And, I'm curious now whether these two will in fact have the characteristic features. That will be a bit of a wait.

Hi, I am just getting caught up on posts, so lif you've heard all this before, sorry! It seems like most people on the Amer. thread started off mistakenly with EEers. Most feed stores and hatcheries sell birds that are mislabled, and the average person who buys them knows no differently until they stumble on the BYC thread and find out that their birds are not purebreds, but EEers.

So, a lot of folks are breeding birds that they Think are purebred, but are not. In addition, a lot of people who have EEers will put their cull purebred Ameraucanas into the EE pen. (to get more blue eggs and cute beards, presumably) So there can be birds that Look like they are purebred, but genetically are not. Phew!

This thread is a great one, and I suggest reading from the start of the thread, a few pages at a time. I always do this when I join a breed thread, as there is so much of interest, and the beginnings tend to have lots of photos. 10 pages at a time is how I do it, while keeping updated on the current entries.

Did anyone suggest the EE braggers thread to you? Lots of fun! Anyway, folks who have EEggers do love them, for their variety of colours, personalitys and varied coloured eggs. Best of Luck Amiablehen
frow.gif

p.s. I Did get purebred Ameraucanas, this Spring, but their quality was so bad, am having to start over again. Ended up with 2 pullets that I will Not breed from, but will keep for eggs, and 5 boys that just went to freezer camp.
hit.gif
( I love this thread, and if I made any mistakes, somebody please correct me!)

Last edited:
Ok, just so that this issue with my question is resolved....This is a forum where one comes to ask questions and get opinions, if it means that everytime a question is asked one is judged as you must be green, etc because of the question is it really immature. I am not here to argue or to play silly name games. I asked a question and maybe some feel that some questions are stupid or green or says that a person must not be in their right mind. But, the last time I checked we all have quams to work out of our Ameraucanas, especially when they are projects. If this forum is always going to be so critical of people it is going to go nowhere fast. We should not be here to be so harsh. I can face the truth but I refuse to have a part in this.

To Steve H: the last time I read the posts "I" was referring to the "breeder" from whom I purchased eggs that these Lavenders hatched from and not myself. Call me green or beginner or whatever you may, If it makes you feel any better. Did I miss something because I didn't remember reading anyone else commenting on MY breeding experience?????

I really try very hard to keep everything up beat and nice but in this forum as others have mentioned its just not worth my energy to ask questions when some insist on trying to belittle others. We all have something to learn and something to contribute to help each other.

Quote:
No..you are a troublemaker. You are doing a great job with your birds though.

Walt

Hey, troublemaker is a step above propagator, I believe.
tongue2.gif

I will just keep pluggin' away and asking questions ..... here and on other threads. I don't aspire to be labeled a "breeder," but I will share what I have created (or propagated). To me, a breeder is a status given to people who have years and years of experience and their efforts show progress and success. I admire many breeders I have come across. I ask them lots of questions and try to learn as much as I can. I am very interested, and that itself makes the learning easier. I take lots of notes. I refer alot to old time poultry books and publications, too. I just love reading those old books. Those old timers knew their stuff, I believe. Shoot, that was their living!

Now, the new genetics experts are excellent resources, as well. I value their opinions and input as well. Between the old resources and the new scientific mumbo-jumbo...... heck, it makes for loads of fun to me. I am not into poultry for fame and fortune. It is just a hobby to me. And, as my husband always says, as he nods his head, "Nothing in moderation, Kath; you do nothing in moderation." I try to learn and experience as much as I can. Regardless of the outcome, I sure am having fun. Making friends and making chickens, heck ...... how could you not have fun doing that!

Quote:
BuffyGRL, it was not my intent to be insulting; it was an attempt, evidently a very poor attempt, to make you feel comfortable about asking the question. I never called you green, I did in fact call myself green, and see nothing wrong with acknowledgeing it. I don't consider the term an insult or criticism; it's merely the word I use to describe my inexperience at breeding Ameraucanas, actually I don't have much breeding experience with poultry as a whole. Knowledge from other's experiences and gained by studying can't totally compensate for my lack of experience; but may prevent me from having to make some bad mistakes, so I ask green questions. I assumed your question about whether to breed feather legged Ameraucanas was because you never knew the answer, figured others do, and respect you for asking it. I also gave you my opinion [though I'm a green breeder] about the stock they came from; to be more clear: It's my opinion they should not have been selling eggs from them, especially without a very explicit warning, if they knew they were producing what you got.

I know I never suggested you are stupid or not in your right mind, and don't recall anyone else doing so; I do recall someone mentioning they did not have an automatic opinon of your capabilities, in answer to your question about other's assumptions. I don't mind at all if one my questions leads others to consider me green.............................. if I wasn't green, I wouldn't have to ask some very basic questions. I wouldn't feel nearly so comfortable here at BYC if I was the only green breeder...................... hopefully I'm not stepping on toes again by saying IMHO the majority of us here are either not breeders [and may not even want to be, some don't even want a rooster or aren't in a position to have one], or still pretty green.

Last edited:
With this website being "Backyard Chickens" I'd be willing to bet there are WAY MORE folks who are new or at least liimited in their chicken raising experience. If you put two chickens together, let them breed and raise chicks, I guess you could call yourself a breeder, but there's differences in breeders just like there are differences in every other classification.

I have raised chickens for a number of years, but I guess I consider myself a "hobbyist." At least that's the term I come up with when I think about how I put way more time and money into it than I will ever get out of it. It's a personal satisfaction thing; something I enjoy, and I am always learning.

Hi Guys - I am stuck for an answer and thought with the amount of experience lurking here; there will be someone with an answer for me hopefully.

I have bought two Lavender Ameraucana girls. First time experience with this breed.
They had been sexed and sold to me as girls.
They are about 20 weeks old now.

The girls are very flighty, big attitude - cute as though.
big_smile.png

Just concerned about them as they seem to be "fighting" with each other. No blood or anything. But they run up and down the cage and then get stuck into each other like two cockerels fighting. Happens a few times a day that I have seen.

Is this "normal" behaviour. I have never had it happen with the Red girls I have owned before.
roll.png

The breeder who sold them to me said that if the sexing should prove to be inaccurate she would refund/replace.

Thanks in anticipation for your insight.

A:)

Back
Top Bottom