Any Home Bakers Here?

I pre-heat a cookie sheet on the rack below the bread and add ice water when I put the bread in.

I do something similar but I use a couple of old loaf pans. Pre-heat them in the oven and when ready to put the bread in, I add boiling water to the bread pans.

There was some talk about raising mushrooms on a gardening thread and I thought I'd share one of my favorite soup recipes:

MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP

2 Tab butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
1/4 Cup parsley
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 lb. fresh mushrooms
1 Tab flour
2 quarts beef broth
1 Cup whole barley
2 tsp salt

1. Melt butter in large skillet and sauce onion, celery, 2 Tab parsley, carrot, garlic mushrooms until soft (about 5 minutes).
2. Lower heat and add flour. Stir often for about 5 minutes or until thick.
3. In soup pot heat beef broth. Add one cup of the mushroom mixture at a time to the soup pot, stir well.
4. Turn heat to high and add barley. Stir well and add salt to taste.
5. Simmer, covered about 1 hour or until barley is tender and the soup thickened. Stir often.
6. Add remaining parsley, mix thoroughly and serve.

Chocolate doughnut anyone?
100_0047.JPG

I had a little chocolate frosting left from a cake made earlier this week so just had to find something use it on! This was a nice recipe, easy to do and tasty.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE DOUGHNUTS
(Makes 6)
1 Cup AP flour
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 Cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, at room temperature
3 Tab unsalted butter, melted
1/2 Cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. Lightly spray doughnut pan with no-stick
3. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the we ingredients, then gently pour them into the dry ones. Fold ingredients together until just combined.
4. Spoon or pipe mixture into prepared doughnut pan and bake for 10-11 minutes or until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed. Be careful not to over bake.
5.Allow doughnuts to cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring doughnuts to rack to completely cool.
6. Frost/decorate as desired.

Back
Top Bottom