Any Home Bakers Here?

decided to make a loaf of french bread for Italian something tomorrow
French bread is a good choice.

Tomorrow I am making Broccoli chicken stir fry and fried rice. I hope to get to the chocolate souffle tomorrow now. They wanted me to bake some cookies that I had in the freezer. I make the cookie dough and freeze it as balls. There was too much of a hurry for the treat tonight LOL!

I made this zucchini & cheese cornbread last night to go with dinner, which was a ham baked in the Romertopf, and mashed potatoes w/ham gravy. The cornbread was a recipe I was trying for the first time, and we really liked it.

I'm planning to make some bean & ham soup in a few days with the leftover ham (I saved some drippings for the soup, and of course the ham bone)

View attachment 1250718
Looks great!
Made up a loaf of Easy Peasy French Bread...already looking forward to grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch tomorrow. This was from a recipe posted some time back on this thread:#2247 (I like to do an egg wash on the dough before baking.)

I've made this recipe several times, sometimes just as is and sometimes with seasonings mixed into the dough. It always comes out great and is so very simple to make.

View attachment 1250904
I love french bread! Might have to give that a whirl since you say it’s easy. Looks yummy!
I made the bread pudding tonight. I posted the recipe recently. It was better than before because I used home made bread this time.
Cooked Chocolate Bread Pudding

View attachment 1251260

This is the bread pudding served with home made whipped cream

View attachment 1251261
Looks good, now I really want bread pudding!
I think that might be one you would like Aria. The only sweetener is a Tablespoon of honey and you can use either AP flour or whole wheat (or a combination). Check it out and if you decide to make it, let me know how it turns out for you!
Can you substitute sugar for the honey?
My Youngest DD Baked and decorated a cake for her Boy Friends birthday. She thought the decorations did not look good. I like it though. The cake is a white cake and the frosting is Chocolate Mascarpone.

View attachment 1251550
Looks great to me!

I love french bread! Might have to give that a whirl since you say it’s easy. Looks yummy!

Can you substitute sugar for the honey?

I've never tried the recipe with sugar, give it a shot and see what happens! (I always have honey on hand for coffee & tea.)

@DigMyChicks
I just did a quick search looking for swapping sugar for honey in baked goods.

Honey is a little sweeter than sugar. But since the bread recipe only calls for 1 Tab of honey, I'm not sure making an equal swap will affect the bread.
sugar to honey.jpg

@DigMyChicks
I just did a quick search looking for swapping sugar for honey in baked goods.

Honey is a little sweeter than sugar. But since the bread recipe only calls for 1 Tab of honey, I'm not sure making an equal swap will affect the bread.
View attachment 1253241
Thanks Debby! I never have honey in the house so will try sugar.

What's a 3-2-1 cake? I've tried a couple of mug cakes but don't think I'm familiar with that one.
It is a pretty standard mug cake recipe. Mix an Angel Food Cake mix and a standard cake mix (any flavor you want) and store in an airtight container. To use it is 3 tablespoons of mix & 2 tablespoons of water in your coffee mug, stir for 1 minute and then microwave for 1 minute. So, to be accurate, it is a 3-2-1-1 cake. ;)

Made the bean & ham soup today. It was good, but just not the same as my mom's. Her's was fantastic! Wish I knew how to make it exactly like mom did. I also made some biscuits to serve with the soup - they have flour and cornmeal in them, and turned out great. Just a touch of sweetness, and a nice crunch from the cornmeal. Will make them again!

Made the bean & ham soup today. It was good, but just not the same as my mom's. Her's was fantastic! Wish I knew how to make it exactly like mom did. I also made some biscuits to serve with the soup - they have flour and cornmeal in them, and turned out great. Just a touch of sweetness, and a nice crunch from the cornmeal. Will make them again!
Sounds like a great dinner!

The old timers often added bacon grease to the beans.

Back
Top Bottom