Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    OK, will try the knife technic when I bake the cake …. will post pics, but it will likely be Christmas before I try it ..[​IMG]

And the best part….the baker gets to eat the part we cut off..[​IMG]

2. LowerBamaMama

LowerBamaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Cottonwood, AL

OR if there's enough, make cake pops =]

3. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Hello my baking friends! I've been reading the thread here and there, but haven't been joining in. We have just been super busy! I was thinking about these cookies and went to get the recipe and realized I never wrote it down [​IMG], so searched the thread until I found it! Now will be writing it down! I hope everyone is doing well. I made three loafs of wheat bread yesterday with the daycare. They love when we make bread and it's been awhile! They were excited and live bringing a loaf home to share!

4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi, so good to see you again!

Baking with the daycare is good stuff Alice...not only do they get a chance to learn something but you're getting them to eat whole wheat too, that's excellent.

Don't be such a stranger!

P.S. Check out the contest in my signature line. It sounds like something right up your alley, kids and chickens (or other poultry). Some really cute photos have been submitted so far, bet you have a couple of good ones too.

5. My2HensMom

My2HensMom New Egg

Sep 18, 2015
    I love to bake, however I don't do much with yeast breads except cinnamon rolls. I like to bake quick breads like zucchini or an apple with a crumble top. I love to bake pies, cakes, cookies, pretty much anything! I'd love to share recipes here with others...

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nice to have you join us and welcome to BYC!

Anything you bake is good for here. I like quick breads too, they're nice for breakfast or a snack. Feel free to share anything you'd like!

7. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    I used to be a little intimidated by yeast bread recipes too until I came across this gem:

http://www.mymundaneandmiraculouslife.com/foodie-fridays-easy-peesy-french-bread/

It is so easy, much quicker than many bread recipes, and absolutely delicious. I made this often; or I did when we lived up north. I haven't much wanted to turn on the oven lately. The days are getting cooler though and I'm sure I'll make this bread recipe soon.

1 person likes this.
  8. My2HensMom

My2HensMom New Egg

Sep 18, 2015
    Wow, this recipe looks really do-able! I just printed it and will take it home for a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing, I can totally see adding some garlic cloves to it too.

9. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    I've added garlic and its so good. I've added rosemary and it is divine. It is a really really good base recipe, but it is great with whatever "add-ins" you feel like throwing in. I've made with both unbleached white flour and whole wheat flour and both turn out nicely. Of course, I prefer the white flour recipe because it isn't as good for me as the whole wheat.

The recipe is really forgiving, too. I've made it before and barely measured and it turns out every time.

I should warn you, though. If you make it, you'll probably eat half of the first loaf as soon as it is cool enough to cut. So I recommend doubling the recipe and making at least 2 loaves. That way you won't be doing this work without anything to show for it! Trust me, I know from experience! [​IMG]

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by