Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @KatharinetheGr8 thanks for the recipe link. Think I'll try it and see how we like it compared to my usual French bread (that takes twice as long).

2. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    @NorthFLChick you are most welcome! Your French bread recipe is probably better than the one in the link, but if you're in a time pinch or if you want an easy, forgiving recipe for your first foray into baking yeast breads (which obviously isn't the case with you) it is a great little recipe. On the other hand, I've never met a yeast bread I didn't like / couldn't eat. They're like French Fries - some are better than others but there aren't any that I've come across that weren't happily consumed!

3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    DH is the big bread lover between the two of us and has his favorites. I have to keep sneaking new ones in because I get bored making the same ones all the time. And besides, how will you know when the next favorite is going to show up if you don't try new recipes? I want to make yours with the garlic powder and herbs, that sounds good!

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    My yeast decided to poop out on me. I guess I did go a year without making any bread.
    I made two loafs of duds.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I will need to buy some yeast soon. I get it from Costco, put it into a tuperware container and store it in the fridge. It seems to last at least 6 months that way.

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Have you tested it to see if that's the problem?

How big of a jar can you get at Costco? I can only find the little jars around here. I do keep it in the fridge after opening but use it up pretty fast anyway. We'd have to drive about 90 minutes to get to a Costco but might be worth it if we had to pick up other stuff too.

7. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Lol those make good "knockout loaves" for ornery roosters... I nailed a guinea male right in the head one day with one... I didn't mean to lol, but after I did, I couldn't believe the amazing shot; i felt like John Elway throwing a winning Superbowl pass... And there was no one around to see it lol :(

On another note, you guys were posting cake the other day, and mentioned cake pops... I have to say, my DH is a doll... Half the time I don't even think he's paying attention to me babbling about backyard chicken, and he went to town the other day and came home with this!

[​IMG]

He was LISTENING to me babble about cake pops... I didn't even know they made these lol ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    How thoughtful that was @shortgrass ! Have you used it yet? I'd like to see some pictures of your creations [​IMG]

9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Oh but of course! Lol I have a bunch of "baby cakes" that now need frosted; I had to wait til the kids are off to school or they would have bugged me for them for breakfast lol ;)

I'll get creative and snap a pic :D

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by