Any Home Bakers Here?

@sunflour I hope I'm not too late to wish you a wonderful birthday!

Got distracted but here is the recipe I used.

Author: Carla Cardello (www.chocolatemoosey.com)
Serves: 8-inch two layer cake
Ingredients:

Strawberry Cake:
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries* (see Note)
1 tablespoon water
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted (when measuring, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off. Do not scoop the measuring cup and pack down the flour)
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
4 egg whites, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature (do not sub low fat or fat free milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red food coloring (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
In a large saucepan, stir together the strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 5 minutes or until the strawberries cook down and start to thicken. Remove from the heat and let cool 15 minutes. You should have roughly 1/2 cup cooked puree.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the butter until just combined and moist crumbs form - do not overmix (it will not form a smooth dough, just little pebbles).
In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, and vanilla. Add about half of the mixture into the mixing bowl and beat until just incorporated (do not overmix). Add the remaining milk mixture and repeat. Add the cooked strawberry puree. If desired, add about 3-5 drops of red food coloring.

Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes or until the tops are brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes then invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely.
For the frosting and assembly:
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
If the cake layers are not flat, trim some of the cake off of the top until flat.
Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Slide pieces of parchment or wax paper underneath the cake for easy clean up later. Spread some of the frosting on top of the cake. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting all over the cake, sealing in the crumbs (don't use more than half of the frosting). Refrigerate 15 minutes.
Finish covering the cake with the remaining frosting. Carefully remove the paper pieces. Refrigerate until the frosting is firm. Store the cake covered in the refrigerator. For best results, let the cake sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

Read more at http://www.chocolatemoosey.com/2014...th-cream-cheese-frosting/#UjGZoFpWMmMy3A0P.99

Got distracted but here is the recipe I used.

Author: Carla Cardello (www.chocolatemoosey.com)
Serves: 8-inch two layer cake
Ingredients:

Strawberry Cake:
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries* (see Note)
1 tablespoon water
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted (when measuring, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off. Do not scoop the measuring cup and pack down the flour)
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature (do not sub low fat or fat free milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red food coloring (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
In a large saucepan, stir together the strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 5 minutes or until the strawberries cook down and start to thicken. Remove from the heat and let cool 15 minutes. You should have roughly 1/2 cup cooked puree.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the butter until just combined and moist crumbs form - do not overmix (it will not form a smooth dough, just little pebbles).
In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, and vanilla. Add about half of the mixture into the mixing bowl and beat until just incorporated (do not overmix). Add the remaining milk mixture and repeat. Add the cooked strawberry puree. If desired, add about 3-5 drops of red food coloring.

Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes or until the tops are brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes then invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely.
For the frosting and assembly:
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
If the cake layers are not flat, trim some of the cake off of the top until flat.
Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Slide pieces of parchment or wax paper underneath the cake for easy clean up later. Spread some of the frosting on top of the cake. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting all over the cake, sealing in the crumbs (don't use more than half of the frosting). Refrigerate 15 minutes.
Finish covering the cake with the remaining frosting. Carefully remove the paper pieces. Refrigerate until the frosting is firm. Store the cake covered in the refrigerator. For best results, let the cake sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

Read more at http://www.chocolatemoosey.com/2014...th-cream-cheese-frosting/#UjGZoFpWMmMy3A0P.99

Thanks!

Hi @LowerBamaMama thanks for sharing the recipe. Your cake was lovely!

@NorthFLChick , thank you…I love tulips.

@LowerBamaMama , your cake looks wonderful. IMO layered, iced cakes are quite difficult to do. Guess I don't have enough patience in adding the icing, mine always finish with cake crumbs showing all over
hmm.png

@NorthFLChick
 , thank you…I love tulips.

@LowerBamaMama
 , your cake looks wonderful.  IMO layered, iced cakes are quite difficult to do.  Guess I don't have enough patience in adding the icing, mine always finish with cake crumbs showing all over :/  

Understanding the technique and having the right tools make it so MUCH better. You do a THIN layer called a crumb coat and let it set before doing your actual icing. Using an icing spatula at least as long as your cake is tall helps to create a smooth edge. AND a spinning base makes it to much easier. I use an old spinning spice rack. And then practice practice lol

Understanding the technique and having the right tools make it so MUCH better. You do a THIN layer called a crumb coat and let it set before doing your actual icing. Using an icing spatula at least as long as your cake is tall helps to create a smooth edge. AND a spinning base makes it to much easier. I use an old spinning spice rack. And then practice practice lol

Thanks for details. Hope to try a Red Velvet cake for the holidays - have a couple of lazy susans for the spin. Maybe should put the crumb coat on , chill in fridge and then add the top coat? Or just let it sit awhile and then add on more icing?

Thanks for details.  Hope to try a Red Velvet cake for the holidays - have a couple of lazy susans for the spin.  Maybe should put the crumb coat on , chill in fridge and then add the top coat?  Or just let it sit awhile and then add on more icing?

Idk if you really have to refrigerate between crumb coat and icing but I do. Anything to help I figure.

I LOVE red velvet.

ALSO, do you level your layers?

Idk if you really have to refrigerate between crumb coat and icing but I do. Anything to help I figure.

I LOVE red velvet.

ALSO, do you level your layers?
Took me a few minutes to figure out Idk
gig.gif
, learning new stuff every day.

I rarely bake layered cakes, 'cause they are almost always so ugly…but I leave them upside down on a wire rack and that pretty much flattens the bulging side and leaves each layer relatively flat.
Never known to level them, should I?

Do you have a great Red Velvet Cake recipe? The one I have used, calls for quite a bit of oil, and IMO too much, tho DH loves it. I really would prefer one that is a finer textured cake, but not dry.

Took me a few minutes to figure out Idk  :gig , learning new stuff every day.

I rarely bake layered cakes, 'cause they are almost always so ugly…but I leave them upside down on a wire rack and that pretty much flattens the bulging side and leaves each layer relatively flat.
Never known to level them, should I?

Do you have a great Red Velvet Cake recipe?  The one I have used, calls for quite a bit of oil, and IMO too much, tho DH loves it.  I really would prefer one that is a finer textured cake, but not dry.

It's worth a try to see if it helps. Put the cooled and chilled cake layer on the lazy Suzan and use a serrated knife layed flat to saw as you spin the cake (hope that makes sense). It takes some practice to get it level and it's easier if your knife is longer than your cake is wide. Try to keep a big picture view as you cut so your knife stays level or you're likely to end up with a spiraling cut. It takes a few tries to master.

I've actually never made one lol my grandmother always makes them for the holidays. I've never thought to ask her. Cakes are so much better when they come delicious and ready* to eat. Probably why it's still my favorite lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom