Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It's just the opposite in our house...DH is the bread guy. I like it more as a holder for the toppings. Helps keep my fingers clean, lol. Now bagels are kind of in a category of their own. And pumpkin bread.

2. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    And @NorthFLChick , it's getting to be pumpkin season!

If you put pumpkin in it, I will eat it. I'm a pumpkin addict. I'm not a huge Starbucks fan, but I'll never turn my nose up to a Pumpkin Spice Latte! Pumpkin bread, pumpkin roll, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin raviolis with brown butter sage sauce, Yes, yes, yes, yes!

3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I have a favorite old pumpkin bread recipe I put here quite a while back, if you want to see it. Pumpkin raviolis sound right up my alley. Do you have a recipe for that one Kate?

4. KatharinetheGr8

KatharinetheGr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Salem, SC
    That's another one I just "wing," (couldn't resist the pun on this site [​IMG]) but I'll try:

Pumpkin Raviolis with Brown Butter Sage Sauce

1 package wonton wrappers
    1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
    1 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish (I would recommend using the real stuff here instead of the shake can we all have in our fridge)
    Dash of freshly ground nutmeg
    Dash of cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper, to taste
    1 stick of butter
    2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped plus more for garnish

Combine pumpkin puree, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Stir until thoroughly incorporated. Set aside. Lay out wonton wrappers flat on your worktop. Scoop a tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture onto a wonton wrapper, off center, so you can fold the wonton wrapper over to form ravioli. Repeat until you've used all your pumpkin mixture. Use your finger to moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper. Fold over and completely seal the raviolis. Boil raviolis until they float in salted water. They don't take long. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, make your sauce. Place butter in a skillet over medium heat and melt. Continue to cook until the butter reaches a brown color. This makes the butter take on a nutty flavor. Be careful not to cook too long or it will no longer taste nutty it will just taste burned. Add the sage and the cooked raviolis to the skillet and cook just until the pasta is heated through. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.

2 people like this.
  5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it [​IMG]

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    The pumpkin bread recipe NorthFLChick posted is post #289 (I think, it could be #298 - I have been having numbers problems today)

@NorthFLChick do you think that sunflower seeds would be a good substitute for the walnuts in your pumpkin bread? I am not into walnuts so much - I tend to pick them out and feed them to the dog.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sure those would be good. So would the shelled roasted pumpkin seeds. Maybe pepitas? I know some people like to use raisins in place of the nuts but I prefer nuts (or seeds) myself.

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Not a fan of raisins cooked in anything - what are pepitas?

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    pumpkin seeds.

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Anyone want some cake? It's not home baked, but bought for my BD today! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would have added candles, but they didn't have enough at the store [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by