1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    @shortgrass About 5 years ago I bought some Palisade Peaches at the farmers market for making a fresh peach cobbler. Figured if they were good, I would pick up some the next weekend for canning. I got home and peeled, sliced and then tasted them. Blah, very juicy but absolutely no flavor ... never bought any since.
    I got lucky and located a local lady who's sister and b-i-l owned a truck and bought cases of apples/peaches/cherries in from Idaho, Utah, Oregon and Washington, wherever they could get good deals from. She sold out of her garage. They had great, farm fresh fruit that was affordable. Oh, and some really good cheese!

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    I made Bagels today!

Sourdough Bagels

1 envelope yeast 1/2 C sourdough
    1 C warm water (110) 31/2 C flour
    3 Tbl. Sugar(5 doubled) 3 qts. boiling water
    2 tsp salt 1 egg beaten

In a bowl, combine yeast, warm water, sugar, salt, starter, and 21/2 C of the flour. Beat on medium speed with dough hook or electric mixer until dough pulls from sides of bowl, about 5 minutes. With dough hook or heavy spoon, gradually beat in 1 more C flour. Turn onto a floured board and kneed, adding flour if required, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Turn dough over in a greased bowl to coat all sides. cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
    Punch dough down and cut into 12 equal pieces; form each piece into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes. poke a hole in the center of each piece and stretch until hole is about 3 inches in diameter. Arrange, 2 inches apart, on two 12x15 inch greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until puffy, about 20 minutes. In a 5-6 quart kettle, bring 3 quarts of water to boiling. Carefully lift bagels off baking sheet with a wide metal spatula and drop, 3 at a time, into water. Boil until puffy, about 1 minute per side. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain briefly of paper towels. Arrange bagels, slightly apart, on the same baking sheets and brush tops with beaten egg. Bake in a 375° oven until tops are golden brown, about 20 min. Serve warm; or cool, cover, refrigerate overnight (freeze to store longer, then thaw wrapped). If cold, split and toast.

Bagel shaped and resting for 20minutes:

[​IMG]

The bagels are then boiled for a minute on each side:

[​IMG]

Then they get an egg wash:

[​IMG]

And then they are baked for 20 minutes!

[​IMG]

I wish you could taste them!

1 person likes this.
  3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    That was very lucky to find someone that had good west coast produce!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Well that's a bummer! It's really tricky sometimes; it becomes a fairly abused name, "Palusade Peaches"... They're just grown in Palisade, its the varieties that are special that we watch for, especially for canning... Red Globes, Suncrest, and Coral Star are the ones to look for ;)

We get shipments from our local FFA kids, and then we look at stands too... Lots of times turning down peaches because they aren't true to type and someone harvested too early trying to get a jump on sales...

Oh but when you've had them fresh from the orchard, you get spoiled and ruins store bought FOREVER ha-ha ;)

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @ronott1 your bagels look amazing! When DH & I lived in Key West we used to go to a little local breakfast café for their salty bagels. I've tried a couple times to make them but they weren't nearly as tasty and good looking as yours. Love a good bagel with cream cheese!

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Forgot to add...yesterday I made the Peanut Butter Chocolate freezer pie. Oh my. Very good but rich. I'll post a photo and the recipe later today (if DH hasn't eaten it all by then...the man loves chocolate and peanut butter).

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1 Cup peanut butter
    1/2 Cup sugar
    4 oz. semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
    12 oz. Cool Whip ***
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 graham cracker crust ****

1. Beat cream cheese until smooth
    2. Add peanut butter, sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
    3. Fold in 8 oz. Cool Whip just until mixed
    4. Fill pie crust
    5. To make topping, melt chocolate chips
    6. Add 4 oz. Cool Whip into melted chocolate chips, gently blend
    7. Spread chocolate topping over pie
    8. Freeze at least 3 hours (keep in freezer after cutting)

*** The recipe called for Cool Whip but DH made whipping cream and I used that
    **** I would have made the crust but DH has been feeding the goats my graham crackers,
    had to resort to my emergency Keebler graham crust in the pantry

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can see my hubby doing the same thing, and then telling everyone how I "spoil those goats" ... only insert "chickens" since I don't have goats. He really likes the chickens but won't admit it out loud.

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

DH likes to tease me about how I spoil the chickens...and then I found out he's been sneaking graham crackers to the goats. Busted! [​IMG]

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Looks delicious.

See ya got your fall avatar…if you really like the chipmunks, I can ship a dozen to ya..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by