Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    here's a picture of the canner. It's pretty big, not even sure what size. [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

My that's a lot of posts….

[​IMG] Wow, 10,000 and still typing!

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I think it's a 23 quart canner, larger than mine, can do 7 quarts , but tons of pints and half pints. Here's link that offers a pdf on instruction manual and a video on using it.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/products.php?stock=01781

Does it have an overpressure plug - if so, just and added safety feature, but if not, not a problem. At my location, everything I can uses 11 psi pressure - mine has that area marked on the gauge, you could add a dot there with a sharpie marker - helps visually while canning.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    sunflour, have you ever peeked in on the canning thread? You might enjoy it. I subscribe but haven't done much canning (at least yet). There are some great sounding recipes and beautiful pictures of jewel-like jars of things members have done.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/78434/what-are-you-canning-now

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Actually had never stumbled on that one, I did post once on another and guess my post was a thread stopper [​IMG]

This one looks quite interesting, thanks for the link.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Hmmmmm..... :p ;) Yes, come join the canning thread @sunflour! Tons more recipes there too! :) PEACHES!!!! I hate to brag lol.... But I just blasted through 3 25# boxes if fresh Colorado peaches... Canned 14 quarts, 18 pints, froze 5 quarts for pies and cobblers, and made 7 pints of peach butter and 14 half pints of peach jam...... I LOVE peaches :D Pie: Crust. 1 cup sugar and enough fresh peaches, peeled and sliced...about 5. Dash of cinnamon 2 eggs. 2-3 tbsp flour Mix eggs, sugar, flour, and peaches... Put in crust. Bake @350 for about an hour and a half. ... Less if below 5000'... Sorry lol, high altitude ;) The eggs make it a custard, I usually make 2 at a time or I won't get a piece. :( COBBLER Peaches... About 5-8, depending on if doubling it... Same as pie, I double it lol bake a half hour longer if you double it. 1 cup Bisquick, I cup milk, I cup sugar, and half a stick of butter....4 tbsp.. Dash of cinnamon Ok melt butter in pan. I usually just let it sit on the stove while its preheating... Mix Bisquick, sugar and milk. Pour over butter in pan. Don't mix ;) dab fresh peaches on top, 350 for an hour, hour and a half if doubling the recipe. Make extra, I promise you'll need it ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  7. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    Subscribing :)

I garden and can, bake bread, make candy, decorate cakes for fun & have a mostly edible yard.

Love to cook. Hate to clean up after. Lol

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    The thread I gave you has been going on quite some time...since 2008 if I remember correctly. I don't think you're going to stop that one! [​IMG]

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Torture! I'm being tortured with all the peach posts! Peach pie? Peach cobbler? [​IMG]

Nice to have you here, thanks for joining us! We're all about sharing...the good, the bad and the ugly, lol. [​IMG]

10. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Thank you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by