Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi, glad you could join us! If you have any recipes you'd like to share, feel free. And pictures are good, both hits and misses. We're a friendly bunch of bakers here!

2. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Thanks! Right now I'm just starting to bake. I love to cook, but I've never had time to bake. I've just started canning, too, so I'm on that thread. I promise to post recipes & pictures ( when I get some!). I can't believe how some of your creations look! Amazing. [​IMG]

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    HI @rides2far , glad you have joined us. I love to can and still learning to bake :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is great that you are getting into canning and baking!

Have you looked into pressure cooking?

5. rides2far

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Yes, I have a pressure canner inherited from my husband's grandma. I need to find the directions & gaskets & such need to be replaced. Next spring. So far, I've done a lot of pickling & preserves using hot water bath method. It is so fun! (And delicious)

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I started with pickles and preserves as well. Then got a pressure canner and it offers a lot more possibilities for home preserving - so much faster for tomatoes, and a necessity for green beans. If the canner is still in production you may be able to find the model's information booklet on line and should replace all gasket thingies. The only type currently recommended are those with a gauge to monitor the pressure. You can find the recipes and directions on pressure and time on FreshPreserving's = Ball home canning site.

Folks on this thread already know I'm somewhat lazy - but never had luck with my own pickle recipes, but I love the Bread and Butter pickle mix - they predictably turn out well for me. I also tried the Kosher Dill pickles and they are better than the sandwich dills commercially available.

Do you use your own recipes for pickles?

7. rides2far

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    The canner is a really old Sears model, which I think is just like a presto. I'm using recipes found in a couple of Better Homes & Gardens canning issues. I WISH I had Ma's recipes. Her peaches made the best pies b

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Peaches? Did someone say peaches?

@sunflour I have had zero luck finding GA peaches this year. None. Are you Georgians keeping them all for yourselves?

9. rides2far

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    I live in Calif. & our weather has been so weird, we only had about 10 peaches :(

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We don't have any peach trees. But our Meyer Lemon tree is doing well and the red grapefruit and lime trees are hanging on. Hopefully the winter won't be too hard on them (it was last year).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by