Any Home Bakers Here?

thumbsup.gif
Looks delicious.

See ya got your fall avatar…if you really like the chipmunks, I can ship a dozen to ya..
roll.png

Thanks for the kind offer @sunflour but I think I'll stick with chipmunk avatars and leave the real ones to you!
ya.gif

Last edited:
@NorthFLChick just introduced me to this thread and I'm thrilled to read all the recipes on here! We've been having a preview of fall weather here in upstate South Carolina which makes me crave some apple desserts! I'm dreaming up an apple bourbon bread pudding with bourbon caramel sauce right now! If I figure out a good recipe, I'll post it here!

See?? I knew there was a reason you should be on our thread...apple bourbon bread pudding you say? With bourbon caramel sauce you say?
Bring it on!
droolin.gif

Glad to have you here @KatharinetheGr8 !

I have a recipe for a killer Bourbon Peach Cobbler ... not the same as a Apple Bread pudding though.
Also, one year I was canning peaches and made rum-peaches (sliced peaches with rum in the light syrup) and whiskey peach butter (made with southern comfort). Yummy! We call it Peach Comfort and it is fantastic on ice cream.

Hahaha @NorthFLChick you were definitely spot on. I'm new to raising chickens, but I'm very comfortable in the kitchen! I plan on attempting the apple bourbon bread pudding this week so I'll be sure to post a recipe when I've got one!

@wyoDreamer Bourbon and peaches just go hand-in-hand, don't they? I'm particular to bourbon so I really like it in desserts. I think those soft vanilla flavors really come through when you add it to sweet things. Your whiskey peach butter sounds amaze-balls! I make what I call candied peaches for over ice cream - it probably isn't too different from what you make. I pare and slice peaches and set them aside. I melt butter and brown sugar in a skillet - half a stick or a whole stick of butter and half a cup to a whole cup of brown sugar depending on how many peaches. Once the butter is melted and the sugar is bubbling in the pan I add the peaches and stir to combine. Cook them down about five minutes and then I add a touch of nutmeg and a small pinch of salt. Pour in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bourbon. The pan may catch fire. That's totally cool. If mine doesn't, I often catch it on fire myself. Just be careful. Allow to cook another 2-3 minutes then serve on vanilla ice cream. Or make some bourbon brown sugar ice cream. Which I made once but didn't write the recipe down. It was sooooo good though.
Do you guys think apples will go as well with bourbon as peaches do? Or should I nix the bourbon in the bread pudding?

I think the apples and bourbon would go good together. The butter, brown sugar and bourbon sauce would be great on a simple bread pudding with apples.

Your candied peaches sound wonderful - a great twist on bananas foster!

When I make applesauce, I peel them and put them into a bowl of lemon juice and water. Keeps them nice and light in color and gives them a little tartness. Then I slice them off of the core into the pan to cook with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. That way I can just cut off the bad spots as I go. After I cook them down to a slightly lumpy texture, I season with lots of cinnamon and just enough sugar to make it slightly sweet. DH is my taster and lets me know when I got it right. It turns out pretty dark with the amount of cinnamon that I use.
I can't remember right now what kind of cinnamon I use, I have three different types I use for different cooking. Korintje, Cassia and Ceylon. I think I use the Korintje but I will have to walk all the way to the kitchen and sniff them to know for sure. AND my spice store has a new type: China Tung Hing Cinnamon. gotta try it out

I made Bagels today! Sourdough Bagels 1 envelope yeast 1/2 C sourdough 1 C warm water (110) 31/2 C flour 3 Tbl. Sugar(5 doubled) 3 qts. boiling water 2 tsp salt 1 egg beaten In a bowl, combine yeast, warm water, sugar, salt, starter, and 21/2 C of the flour. Beat on medium speed with dough hook or electric mixer until dough pulls from sides of bowl, about 5 minutes. With dough hook or heavy spoon, gradually beat in 1 more C flour. Turn onto a floured board and kneed, adding flour if required, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Turn dough over in a greased bowl to coat all sides. cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and cut into 12 equal pieces; form each piece into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes. poke a hole in the center of each piece and stretch until hole is about 3 inches in diameter. Arrange, 2 inches apart, on two 12x15 inch greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until puffy, about 20 minutes. In a 5-6 quart kettle, bring 3 quarts of water to boiling. Carefully lift bagels off baking sheet with a wide metal spatula and drop, 3 at a time, into water. Boil until puffy, about 1 minute per side. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain briefly of paper towels. Arrange bagels, slightly apart, on the same baking sheets and brush tops with beaten egg. Bake in a 375° oven until tops are golden brown, about 20 min. Serve warm; or cool, cover, refrigerate overnight (freeze to store longer, then thaw wrapped). If cold, split and toast. Bagel shaped and resting for 20minutes: The bagels are then boiled for a minute on each side: Then they get an egg wash: And then they are baked for 20 minutes! I wish you could taste them!
My husband says he doesn't like bagels but like most things he says he doesn't like, when I make hem fresh at home he loves them. I think I'll have to research sourdough so I can try these on him. Question do they have to be the traditional bagel shape to turn out right? I'd love to make them where my husband doesn't know it's a bagel

My husband says he doesn't like bagels but like most things he says he doesn't like, when I make hem fresh at home he loves them. I think I'll have to research sourdough so I can try these on him.
Question do they have to be the traditional bagel shape to turn out right? I'd love to make them where my husband doesn't know it's a bagel

Send a self addressed and stamped envelope to the friends of Carl to get free and excellent starter:

http://carlsfriends.net/

You can make them into other shapes.

Last edited:
I made bagels once and they were so good. My husband isn't much of a bread guy though so I had to eat almost all of them myself (we don't have kids). I crave a good bagel now and then though. Yours look great, @ronott1 !

Back
Top Bottom