Any Home Bakers Here?

Fresh loaf of bread here today.
I used the same GF wholegrain flour mix as last time but I made some altitude adjustments and the loaf turned out better. Not a smashing success...but better. It didn't rise as high (good thing) or fall as far, but it still fell just a little bit. GF breads tend to bake flatter on top so I know not to expect a big beautiful dome, but in the past mine usually came out flat and more like normal.

However, I'm going to keep working with this wholegrain flour mix because I like it. Not a good flour mix for sweets or treats (though probably excellent for oatmeal cookies) but it makes a wonderful hearty homestead bread with a depth and tone that plain rice flours just cannot achieve. And, it's lower in carbs, especially refined carbs, plus higher in fiber than typical GF breads. I guess more like a whole wheat bread with an extra multigrain layer. Yum!

Ruh Roh. I put all the dry ingredients together THEN noticed that it wants a dutch oven. Which we know I don't have. What can I substitute??? Or just hope it bakes OK on a sheet?
You can bake it on a stone in the oven or roll it out like french bread.

Just put it on parchment paper for the last raise and lift onto the stone if making a round.

Play around with it!

If you use a stone or cookie sheet, be sure to spray water in the oven when you put the dough into the oven-- make sure to spray the loaf too

no knead bread develops gluten when it sits this long. It does have a couple of folds and then the final shaping

It works great!
I hope so! It said to knead till smooth. I figured it's a wet dough so I pretty much did the fold thing and didn't put any more flour into it. When I uncovered it this morning, it had an interesting jiggly thing going on. I hope I'm able to shape a smooth top on it later. Film at 11:00! :gig

I hope so! It said to knead till smooth. I figured it's a wet dough so I pretty much did the fold thing and didn't put any more flour into it. When I uncovered it this morning, it had an interesting jiggly thing going on. I hope I'm able to shape a smooth top on it later. Film at 11:00! :gig
I usually mix it together and knead it some the night before and then start the two folds at 7am. The bread is usually ready by lunchtime

Just put it on parchment paper for the last raise and lift onto the stone if making a round.

Play around with it!

If you use a stone or cookie sheet, be sure to spray water in the oven when you put the dough into the oven-- make sure to spray the loaf too
Hey Ron, I don't have a cast iron dutch oven, I broke it when I threw it on the woodpile. I do have a covered steel sauteuse though, do you think that could work? I guess I could try it.

Hey Ron, I don't have a cast iron dutch oven, I broke it when I threw it on the woodpile. I do have a covered steel sauteuse though, do you think that could work? I guess I could try it.
As long as it can go into the oven at 450 it should be fine!

You can also free shape and put it on a cookie sheet. It might be a bit flatter than in a dutch oven but will still be bubble and tasty

As long as it can go into the oven at 450 it should be fine!

You can also free shape and put it on a cookie sheet. It might be a bit flatter than in a dutch oven but will still be bubble and tasty
Yeah it's got steel handles so that's fine I'm sure but it's wider than the dutch oven I had. Maybe it'll hold the whole ball of dough. We'll see.

Play around with it!

No stone but I do have parchment paper and cookie sheets. So that is the plan for the morning. Off to add the water and starter.

A general high altitude baking question about eggs and egg chemistry...

Since eggs provide protein structure, a high altitude tip site suggested using extra large eggs in place of regular large eggs for bread baking.
The recipe I'm working with calls for:
2 egg yolks and
1 whole egg.

Personally I prefer to use the entire egg for anything, unless it's custard ice cream :drool , and it seems that the flour mix I'm working with is heavier and wants to fall just a little in the middle, so do you guys think it would be ok to replace the above with 3 whole eggs?
I have a hen that lays XLs so I could do either size.

In the past I've done whole egg switch outs with GF non-yeasted recipes and it was fine, plus I've seen plenty of GF yeasted bread recipes (regular altitude) that call for 3 eggs, however those are using a different flour mix.

Would 3 eggs with the heavier whole grain flour be too heavy?
How many eggs do you guys use when making a whole wheat or heavy multigrain bread?
My brain wants to say the heavier flours want more eggs and I remember that Challah (regular) uses 3 eggs. King's Hawaiian bread copycats too....which I cannot wait to try a GF version of.

Back
Top Bottom