Any Home Bakers Here?

My late husband just did not like mushrooms period. Thought they tasted like dirt, I tried telling him they "earthy" tasting. So, for more than 20 yrs no more stroganoff and green bean casserole made with cream of celery soup. Actually, the green bean casserole wasn't half bad. So don't feel bad, people adjust. Or, they pig out on mushrooms when you're not around :lol: .
Mushrooms are IN right now. And the Charga made from mushrooms
that grow on Birch Trees. And Charga Tea etc. Mushrooms are the
healthy food now...they help build immune system. Aria

The sourdough bread turned out very well today! I used the ingredients from an online site but changed the method to make it easier.

I also used my Oregon sourdough starter so for those using different starters and not using a proofer, the times may be different.

Out of the oven:

Champlain sourdough bread.jpg

After first slice

Champlain sourdough bread sliced.jpg

Recipe
Champlain Sourdough Bread(Modified)

Ingredients

304g water
389g Bread flour (I used AP flour)
38g Whole spelt flour
19g Whole Rye Flour
50g Fed Starter at 100% hydration(fed half and half water and flour)
10g salt

Premix all ingredients at 9pm the night before baking bread. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave out overnight.

Replenish the starter and leave out overnight and return to refrigerator in the morning.

The next morning make the first fold at 7am (or when you get up)

look up the folding technique on you tube.

Let rest 30 minutes and then fold again. Fold every 30 minutes two more times and then shape into a ball using flour to keep the dough from sticking. Place the ball on the floured board and pull towards you from the bottom. Turn and repeat to increase surface tension on the ball.

Put the ball into a basket or a floured tea towel lined medium bowl with the seam side up. Let raise 1 to two hours until risen—should see a bubble or two on the outside of the dough.

Preheat Dutch oven with lid in 450-degree oven.

Cut a rectangle of parchment paper. When dough is risen, pour out onto the parchment paper. Make slashes. Take Dutch Oven out and carefully put the dough into the pan. Cover with lid and put back into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove Dutch oven and move bread to a cool cookie sheet. Put back into the oven to let the outside crisp up—5 to 10 minutes

Cool on rack for an hour before slicing

Last edited:
Bread is done, bagels are done (did everything this time). Not much improvement in the bread, but I used straight wheat flour instead of wheat and bread flour. I used 4 TBS of vital wheat gluten for 3 1/2 Cups of home milled wheat flour. I'm thinking it's too dry. The dough is really tough and difficult to knead, not soft and supple like white bread dough is. I'm thinking about adding more water to make it softer. Thoughts???? My best artisan whole wheat bread is really shaggy. On the up side, even though this dough was tough, when I was done kneading it was supple and I was able to pull out the bakers window. I'd like to get this to a point where its soft and flexible. It's a great sandwich bread, but if you try to wrap a piece of sausage in it, it will break. Open to all suggestions, I'll apply one to my next loaf. The good news is even though it's not where I want it, it's still really good bread. As I learn to adapt the recipe, one day I'd like to add in some spelt to get more of that nutty flavor.

Bread is done, bagels are done (did everything this time). Not much improvement in the bread, but I used straight wheat flour instead of wheat and bread flour. I used 4 TBS of vital wheat gluten for 3 1/2 Cups of home milled wheat flour. I'm thinking it's too dry. The dough is really tough and difficult to knead, not soft and supple like white bread dough is. I'm thinking about adding more water to make it softer. Thoughts???? My best artisan whole wheat bread is really shaggy. On the up side, even though this dough was tough, when I was done kneading it was supple and I was able to pull out the bakers window. I'd like to get this to a point where its soft and flexible. It's a great sandwich bread, but if you try to wrap a piece of sausage in it, it will break. Open to all suggestions, I'll apply one to my next loaf. The good news is even though it's not where I want it, it's still really good bread. As I learn to adapt the recipe, one day I'd like to add in some spelt to get more of that nutty flavor.
Try autolyzing the flour and water-- and don't get too caught up in the amount. Next week the amount you use today won't work due to the flour and humidity changing.

Whole wheat will absorb more water than white flour. If you mix the whole wheat flour(use a cup less than the recipe seays) for 20 minutes with the water, and then add white flour to get the stiffness of the dough you want, the bread will not be as dry.

Add the other ingredients except salt during the autolyzing step. Add the salt before kneading in the white flour

My late husband just did not like mushrooms period. Thought they tasted like dirt, I tried telling him they "earthy" tasting. So, for more than 20 yrs no more stroganoff and green bean casserole made with cream of celery soup. Actually, the green bean casserole wasn't half bad. So don't feel bad, people adjust. Or, they pig out on mushrooms when you're not around :lol: .

I don't know if you follow any of the chefs on Food Network, but if you do The Pioneer Woman has a recipe for green bean casserole from scratch. Does not use canned cream of mushroom soup. I will look for my copy and post it.

Back
Top Bottom