Any Home Bakers Here?

So just put in 57g of rye? OK.
50g of starter doesn't seem like much.
And YAY! Another bread I don't have to store in the refrigerator over night. No room in there.

OOOPS!! Major omission in the recipe here. The starter should be added in the MORNING not along with all the other ingredients. Guess we'll see how it works out, maybe I should add more starter before all the folding steps.
Trevor Wilson's instructions

Turns out he lives ~11 miles from me as the crow flies, an extra ~20 for those who can not walk on water.
I added the starter in the evening and it worked great!

I ran out of store bought muffins so had to settle for my healthier reduced sugar Apple Nut muffins for breakfast.
Apple_nut_muffin_X5150775_05-15-2020-001.jpg
Apple_nut_muffin_X5150776_05-15-2020-001.jpg
Apple_nut_muffin_X5150778_05-15-2020-001.jpg
Apple_nut_muffin_X5150780_05-15-2020-001.jpg

Apple Nut Muffins

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sucralose
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg - I used a jumbo egg, you could use 2 smaller eggs.
4 Red Delicious apples - 3 apples peeled , cored and grated coarsely and most of the juice squeezed out - 1 apple peeled, cored and sliced.
1 cup whole walnut pieces

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, oil, sugar, sucralose and honey. Cream the mixture until smooth. Add the egg to the creamed mixture and mix until creamy. Beat in the grated apple and add the flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix until the batter is smooth.
Fold in sliced apples and walnuts.
Bake at 375° F for approximately 22 to 25 minutes, test with toothpick for doneness.

I decided not to add more starter. About to do the first fold. The dough is a little "grainy" but I think that is because the rye flour is locally grown and milled so it probably isn't as fine as "commercial".
I bet the locally sourced rye will be very good!

Oh, oh, I can use my metal handled soup pot instead of a dutch oven??? Whoopie!!!
I might still buy a cast iron dutch oven at some point.

Today's baking:
The Champlain Sourdough
Another loaf of KA Basic sourdough
Hamburger buns
Strawberry pancakes (those this doesn't really count as baking)

I might be over extending my baking self!

You must be having fun Bruce!

I ran out of store bought muffins so had to settle for my healthier reduced sugar Apple Nut muffins for breakfast.View attachment 2143102View attachment 2143103View attachment 2143105View attachment 2143106
Apple Nut Muffins

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sucralose
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg - I used a jumbo egg, you could use 2 smaller eggs.
4 Red Delicious apples - 3 apples peeled , cored and grated coarsely and most of the juice squeezed out - 1 apple peeled, cored and sliced.
1 cup whole walnut pieces

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, oil, sugar, sucralose and honey. Cream the mixture until smooth. Add the egg to the creamed mixture and mix until creamy. Beat in the grated apple and add the flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix until the batter is smooth.
Fold in sliced apples and walnuts.
Bake at 375° F for approximately 22 to 25 minutes, test with toothpick for doneness.

Good looking muffins!

Back
Top Bottom