Any Home Bakers Here?

Sorry, been awol for a few days. Life has a way of getting in my way sometimes.

Jenn, did you have a chance to make the Italian bread? Hope it turned out ok for you.

Ol Grey Mare, glad to see you here! Always nice to chat with another baker and I share your enthusiasm for baking 100%. (Although, I can't say I don't eat my share of things)
droolin.gif
Got any favorite recipes or tips you could share with us?

Today I made 1 1/2 dozen Kaiser rolls with poppy & sesame seeds on top. If either of you are interested in the recipe, I'll post it. The dough part is simple enough, it was the shaping that took me a bit of practice as it was my first "knotted" roll. I make this roll quite a bit for us because it's versatile, good for sandwiches or just plain toast and the seeds really do add a little something.

Have either of you tried making corn tortillas? We tried that for dinner tonight for our homemade enchiladas and it was definitely the first timers night in the kitchen. We don't have a tortilla press, not sure if that was the only roadblock or if there is a special method to making them (the masa bag was seriously lacking in helpful directions).

Need to go start rounding things up for the night. Have a good evening!

Debby

I love baking bread. I recently moved from Wyoming to Wisconsin, so now I have to readjust my recipes from high elevation (7500 feet) back down to 700 feet. We lived in WI before moving to WY about 7 years ago, so this shouldn't be too much of a change. I am going to miss my neighbor, she always took the extra loaf when I made bread. Two loaves would have been eaten at our house, but with only 2 people, we really shouldn't eat that much bread.
I recently bought a bread cookbook, I can't wait until I get a chance to bake my way through it.

I love baking bread. I recently moved from Wyoming to Wisconsin, so now I have to readjust my recipes from high elevation (7500 feet) back down to 700 feet. We lived in WI before moving to WY about 7 years ago, so this shouldn't be too much of a change. I am going to miss my neighbor, she always took the extra loaf when I made bread. Two loaves would have been eaten at our house, but with only 2 people, we really shouldn't eat that much bread.
I recently bought a bread cookbook, I can't wait until I get a chance to bake my way through it.

Hi, glad to have you join us! What kind of bread have you been making? I bet your old neighbor is missing you, I don't think many people make bread anymore.

If you find something wonderful in your new cookbook, share with us, ok? I'm always willing to try something new and the hubs is my willing taste tester, lol.

I pulled a recipe for Kaiser Rolls off the internet a while ago. It was really good, but I am not really sure what to use for the malt that it calls for, I just use the malted milk that I have in the pantry.
idunno.gif
I had to try making them because there wasn't anyplace in town that made a decent roll. Coming from WI originally, good bakery is essential. WY just doesn't have it. I have to admit, the shaping part is the hardest part of the Kaiser Rolls.

I pulled a recipe for Kaiser Rolls off the internet a while ago. It was really good, but I am not really sure what to use for the malt that it calls for, I just use the malted milk that I have in the pantry.
idunno.gif
I had to try making them because there wasn't anyplace in town that made a decent roll. Coming from WI originally, good bakery is essential. WY just doesn't have it. I have to admit, the shaping part is the hardest part of the Kaiser Rolls.
diastatic malt powder - you can find it on amazon, at Whole Foods, several online suppliers, etc.

This talks about the hows/whys of using malt:
http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2010/06/02/get-your-malt-on/

ETA - this even talks about how to make your own
http://www.dryit.com/diastaticmalt.html

Last edited:
Mmmm, my Kaiser roll recipe doesn't call for any diastatic malt powder. I'm on my way outside now but will post the recipe later today. I finally learned how to shape the rolls by watching someone on YouTube. You basically make a dough rope about 12" long and holding the center of the rope in one hand make a "U" shape, bring one rope end up through the middle of the "U" and the other end down through the "U" shape. Clear as mud right?

I looked for the malt when trying to make bagels and couldn't find it in any of our stores either. The cookbook I was following said you could substitute honey for it but I just left it out. Still haven't gotten the hang of bagels...those are tough!

Gotta run the chickens are calling for their mid-day treat (a handful of extra feed today). I swear, they must be related to hobbits they demand so much to eat.

Debby

HI everyone haven't been around due to my fiance starting his own business and him needing me to help out. I haven't been able to bake a single darn thing. SO upsetting.
I am glad there are a few of us on here now. I am hoping that maybe as the holidays draw closer that we can maybe do a cookie recipe swap. I love love love love to make cookies!!! This weekend I am hoping to make cinnamon rolls.
Happy Baking
Jenn

Here's the roll recipe I use.

Kaiser Rolls
(Makes 16 rolls)

2 pkgs active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp total)
2 Cups warm water (110-115 degrees), divided
4 Tab sugar, divided
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
6-7 Cups all purpose flour
1 egg white
2 tsp water
Poppy or sesame seeds

Dissolve yeast in a large bowl using 1/2 Cup of the warm water. Add 1 Tab sugar; let stand 5 minutes
Add the remaining warm water, sugar, oil, salt and 4 Cups flour
Beat until smooth
Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough
Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth & elastic, about 6-8 minutes
Place dough in an lightly oiled bowl, turning once to oil top.
Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces.
Shape each piece into a knot
Place 2-3" apart on a parchment covered (or greased) baking sheet (I use 2 sheets)
Cover & let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes
Beat egg white & cold water together; brush over rolls.
Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Cool on wire racks

HI everyone haven't been around due to my fiance starting his own business and him needing me to help out. I haven't been able to bake a single darn thing. SO upsetting.
I am glad there are a few of us on here now. I am hoping that maybe as the holidays draw closer that we can maybe do a cookie recipe swap. I love love love love to make cookies!!! This weekend I am hoping to make cinnamon rolls.
Happy Baking
Jenn

Hi Jenn! Love the idea of a holiday cookie recipe swap, that would be fun. Don't work too hard, there's baking to be done!
big_smile.png

The recipe I use forms the rolls in a different way - they are not a knot. It has you roll the dough into a circle and then sorta folds the bread over and over onto itself. The baker has posted the steps in pictures and it is easy to do. I seem to get one or two that don't seal after the folding and kinks unfold themselves. Its so sad that I have to eat the evidence of my failure!
lau.gif

This is what I use:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/kaiserrolls

Back
Top Bottom