Any Home Bakers Here?

I was in a hurry last night to post and didn't get to write my sell. :)

Anytime Mom and Dad are invited to an event, and they ask what they can bring it is almost always - Your Carrot cake!
notice, there are not really any spices in it - just vanilla and carrots. It is so yummy!

I was in a hurry last night to post and didn't get to write my sell. :)

Anytime Mom and Dad are invited to an event, and they ask what they can bring it is almost always - Your Carrot cake!
notice, there are not really any spices in it - just vanilla and carrots. It is so yummy!

Gee, now I *have* to make this one too..........darnit............lol

Gee, now I *have* to make this one too..........darnit............lol

Well, I guess if you end up with TOO much carrot cake (as if there ever could be such a thing), you could send us all a piece!
big_smile.png

Does anyone have a good recipe for rye bread (or a link to where one might be so you don't have to type it all)?

I've tried 3-4 different ones and none of them turn out decent rye bread. They're too dry or don't rise at all or the flavor is "off". They all turn out very dense, too dense. Guess it could be the baker (that would be me) but no matter what tweak I try, they all turn out sad.

I'm not particular about the variety of rye bread, I just want one that will make a good sandwich instead of a doorstop.

Rye bread is going to be heavy, just because the rye flour is so dense. I have always wanted to try making rye bread, but just never bought the rye flour. Did the recipes you tried uase a mix of rye and bread flour? If not, try adding some wheat gluten to help with rising and make sure that it doubles in size when letting it rise.

Rye bread is going to be heavy, just because the rye flour is so dense. I have always wanted to try making rye bread, but just never bought the rye flour. Did the recipes you tried uase a mix of rye and bread flour? If not, try adding some wheat gluten to help with rising and make sure that it doubles in size when letting it rise.

Hi Wyo!

Yep, the recipes all called for bread + rye flour (about 2/3 white & 1/3 rye). The density of rye bread is part of what I like about it, never could stand those doughy white breads that get soggy with a sandwich. Last night I came across another recipe that was highly rated (can't remember which site now) that I am off to try. Good call on adding wheat gluten to it, I have some socked away and forgot about it.

I'll report back later on how this version works out.

Have a great day everyone!
frow.gif

This was my day...I made rye bread. Yep, that's it, all day for 1 loaf. Surprisingly, it turned out decent, not the best bread ever made but it was the best rye bread I've made so far. We tried a slice tonight and with the 1st bite, I'm thinking "hey, not horrible, it finally rose, it's not dry and doesn't have that bitter taste some ryes do". DH's 1st words were "hey, you didn't put any caraway seeds in it"...that's when he was almost clobbered with the baking sheet.

I'll post the recipe tomorrow along with the adjustments I made to get an edible loaf of rye. I'll probably try this one again. And yes, there will be caraway seeds in it DH!

Back
Top Bottom