Any Home Bakers Here?

A worthy mid afternoon snack. Chewy oatmeal cookies with a generous layer of cream cheese. I shared the recipe earlier.
IMG_9473.JPG
IMG_9472.JPG

Well, I found out why my cheese has holes.

7D60D783-21C0-41BC-B224-97C258CCC295.jpeg

For reference, these are not bacterial holes, like in swiss. These are mechanical holes. The problem was that the curds cooled too much, and as a result, they did not knit together properly in the press, resulting in holes.

Next time, I actually need to heat up my cheese mold. This will help make sure the curds stay at proper temperature.

Very interesting, Jared. Glad you figured out what happened. Is it "done" now, or does it need to age/ripen?
I need to let it dry for 2-4 days or until it is dry to the touch.

Then. I need to wax it, and age it for a month.

Like I said, I am seeing if mold will not grow under the wax with the new waxing technique I learned. If mold doesn’t grow under the wax for a month, I can move on to other longer aging cheese.

Ahh, thank you, I didn’t know how to find/use the index, wow, what a great tool :) what kind of grease do you use for your tins? I usually don’t grease my tins since I preheat my iron cast pot to 240c in the oven, and dump the dough into it, would I grease the tins at that temperature, it would just burn :( I use whole wheat flour, do you think the bread needs more time in the oven?

what kind of grease do you use for your tins?
I use parchment paper for much of my baking. When I use my Dutch oven for larger loaves, I also use parchment paper. I final rise my loaf in a similar size pot. I preheat my Dutch oven well, Take out using gloves of course. Slip loaf into Dutch oven holding it up with the parchment.

Back
Top Bottom