Babies have arrived! Pics! And now with video!

Yep, it's that kind of thing that makes me happy. Like when I first put the littles out into the pen, and they got scared and all ran underneath me and huddled. Or when Peek and Poke come and hang out next to me because they're tired of the littles chasing them.

It's the small things with ducks.
eeeeee, Smurfbrew, all 3 of their beaky faces. That kills me. Sweet worm eaters.

And Kaessa, precious that Peek and Poke come hide next to you. They know you'll offer respite from the littles. Ducks are so charming.

Last edited:
I just had the sweetest visit with my little buddies! After all this discussion about them running, I went out and worked in their pen for about an hour, cleaned out their house, modified it a little, moved it a little. Cleaned the waterer, cleaned out the pool, filled the feeder... all that good stuff. Then I grabbed a bowl of peas. I squatted down beside a big tree and just sat their till they started looking at me. Then I grabbed a handful of peas and they all came running. They even let me stroke their throats and chests a little. It was so sweet and much improved! I'm now thinking again that I have 2 males and 2 females, although Chibs (the mostly white one) is still pretty aloof and quiet. Can't wait for drake feathers to come in!

I even got a few good pics!

left to right, Chibs, Juice, Opie, and Tiggy. I think Juice and Opie are female.

Look at the gorgeous green sheen he is getting. Pics don't do it justice.

Oh, she reminds me of my cat Baby...RIP little girl. Shiva is simply gorgeous! Is she half himalayan/half orange tabby? She has the same orange stripey-but-not-quiteness that Baby had. <3

His mother was a flame point Himalayan, we think his father was a Maine Coon. He is HUGE. Those paws will cover the entire palm of your hand.

I just had the sweetest visit with my little buddies! After all this discussion about them running, I went out and worked in their pen for about an hour, cleaned out their house, modified it a little, moved it a little. Cleaned the waterer, cleaned out the pool, filled the feeder... all that good stuff. Then I grabbed a bowl of peas. I squatted down beside a big tree and just sat their till they started looking at me. Then I grabbed a handful of peas and they all came running. They even let me stroke their throats and chests a little. It was so sweet and much improved! I'm now thinking again that I have 2 males and 2 females, although Chibs (the mostly white one) is still pretty aloof and quiet. Can't wait for drake feathers to come in!

left to right, Chibs, Juice, Opie, and Tiggy. I think Juice and Opie are female.

They are growing up into absolutely beautiful birds! I love Opie's facial markings and that little poof.

Gorgeous ducks

I just had the sweetest visit with my little buddies! After all this discussion about them running, I went out and worked in their pen for about an hour, cleaned out their house, modified it a little, moved it a little. Cleaned the waterer, cleaned out the pool, filled the feeder... all that good stuff. Then I grabbed a bowl of peas. I squatted down beside a big tree and just sat their till they started looking at me. Then I grabbed a handful of peas and they all came running. They even let me stroke their throats and chests a little. It was so sweet and much improved! I'm now thinking again that I have 2 males and 2 females, although Chibs (the mostly white one) is still pretty aloof and quiet. Can't wait for drake feathers to come in! I even got a few good pics! left to right, Chibs, Juice, Opie, and Tiggy. I think Juice and Opie are female. Look at the gorgeous green sheen he is getting. Pics don't do it justice.
Cute keyoot koot and adorable and more plus you got to touch their soft bodies.

Well, the duck house is complete(ish), and the babies are spending the night outside for the first time. Rounding them up was fun, I think I'm going to bribe them next time. I put four big flakes of straw down, so it's nice and comfy. We'll see how they are in the morning!

Does everyone worry the first night?

We lined the inside with the wire so they couldn't get stuck in the pallets. The outside is just cheap siding. I need to fix a few things, extend the roofline a bit out to each side, finish burying the brick foundation, and paint. I'm going to get red primer and just cover the whole thing, it should hold up ok. Plus, primer is cheap.

Total cost so far, about $120. That includes a new saw blade and a $10 box of deck screws.

Here's the mostly completed project. It isn't pretty, but it holds ducks.

Back
Top Bottom