Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I wouldn't do anything for awhile...let nature take it's course. The broody can help if they need it.

okie dokie.

i love how they weave in the feathers of momma. how skinkin' cute! its a little cold today, so i set up a heat lamp in case they started to wander. they are in a spot of their own, so its chick safe! I separated my broody about a week into sitting, so no one bothered her.

pictures to come soon. i hope i grabbed blrw eggs. kinda hard to tell when i have a mixed flock and they mostly lay brown eggs... but i saw quite a few of them had the chipmunk strip, I have a blrw roo and 2 hens, but the rest are the feed store mix.

chicks from Donna's Foley line. 8) 2 blues for sure, ?? on the others. but with one splash hen with good type, color and lacing, I'm not picky about the rest.

well, i woke up this morning to a few peeps from my eggs. my broody has succeeded her first hatch. by 6 a.m. there were already 3 wet chicks, and after an hour i went to check on them again, and many more had hatched, some wet, some fluffy, and the eggs that were still whole had already shown signs of life, one was zipped, and a couple had holes pecked. should i pick her up and do a head count? and when should i assist any chicks needing help? this is my first hatch too, so i really have just been watching, don't really know what else to do.
This article is always a good one to read when ' expecting ' . But I agree with Scott, let nature take its course and only intervene if you have to. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Mhamilton, congrats on those that have hatched. I gave a first time broody shipped eggs and let her work her magic. She hatched all 6 that showed development at day 10.

I was worried she wasn't turning them rough but things worked out fie.

WOW! i'm proud of my broody! she did a wonderful job! 8 hatched, 2 with peep holes and chirping, and the last two are chirping in their shells! so far, if everyone comes out of their shells ok, i have all the eggs hatch!

Ok, I need some some of you awesome blrw peeps' opinions on my babies. My 13 precious babaies are 3 weeks old today and I'm trying to figure out sex and color. Some of the sex is pretty obvious, some of them could still go either way to me. Most of the colors have me tripped up , they all look black or splash to me! I know I got to have some blues in there, I just don't see it. Please help! #1 positive he's a cockerel, no idea on color

#2 girl. Color?

#3 boy maybe? Color?

#5 boy? Color?

#6 Girl. Color?

#7 most definitely a girl, that pose lol.

Last edited:
Ok, I need some some of you awesome blrw peeps' opinions on my babies. My 13 precious babaies are 3 weeks old today and I'm trying to figure out sex and color. Some of the sex is pretty obvious, some of them could still go either way to me. Most of the colors have me tripped up , they all look black or splash to me! I know I got to have some blues in there, I just
Ok here are my guesses. I am pretty certain about color, not so sure about sex yet. post them again around 5-6wks and we'll know for sure I think
1 blue M
2 blue M
3 black m(?)
4 black F
5 blue M
6 blue F
7 black F
8 blue F
9 blue M? pink?
10 blue F
11 blue F
12 blue F