Bobcat grabbed hen not 5 feet from me!

Quote:
and like I said you (as in the general you) dont know where I live but yes, for ME it is totally legal. my point being each person needs to find out and deal with their specific legislation before assuming that another person is in the wrong legally. in fact where I happen to live its open season year round no bag limit on coyotes and any animal caught harassing or destroying livestock or children irregardless of fur bearer status is fair game.

I agree , and Here in Ohio its open season on coyotes year round with no limit.........even thought they are fur bearers.

Need to know all your state laws before telling people they are stealing.........for killing predators.

Here is the NYS game season on coyotes: "COYOTE HUNTING: Statewide except Long Island and New York City: Oct. 1–March 27 There are no bag limits for coyotes. They may be hunted during the day or night."

"Weasel, Opossum, RACCOON AND FOX HUNTING: Long Island: Nov. 1–Feb. 25 All other areas of New York:Oct. 25–Feb. 15. There are no bag limits for these species. They may be hunted during the day or night"

"BOBCAT HUNTING:Oct. 25–Feb. 15 (northern and eastern counties) Oct. 25–Dec. 10 (small area in western Adirondack Park Closed in the rest of the state including Southern Tier and west of Albany Co. Hunting Hours: After sunrise on opening day; and at any hour, day or night, for the rest of the open hunting season.
If you take a bobcat you must:1. Complete a Furbearer Possession Tag (see below for tag) AND 2. Get the pelt or unskinned animal sealed."

Trapping seasons are about the same.

And, finally:

"Nuisance Species
While people usually enjoy having wildlife around, problems sometimes arise when the activities of people and wildlife clash. We have provided links to sources of information that will help you better understand wildlife and their habits and suggest things you can do to prevent and control wildlife damage. Please note that most wildlife is protected by state and federal law, and some control activities may require permits. For help with wildlife nuisance or damage, check the Yellow Pages for licensed nuisance wildlife control operators under "Pest Control Services." Further information is available from your regional wildlife office."

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok looks like NY has a problem with them too, 24/7 hunting for half the year with no limit............All furbearers are out of control now. Well maybe they will join other states soon on year round hunting.

Taken from Ohio DNR site, same for other nuisance predators....so much for stealing from people of Ohio's wildlife. People need to get their facts straight before calling people thief !!!!!!!!!!

Raccoons can transmit rabies, canine distemper, and parvovirus to domestic animals and humans. You should avoid any raccoon which is active during daylight hours, has lost its fear of humans, or appears uncoordinated, confused or listless. If you encounter such an animal, call your district wildlife office or county wildlife officer immediately.

Nuisance or sick raccoons may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of raccoon diseases in Ohio, all live trapped raccoons must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult your district wildlife office for further information.

Quote:
Unfortunately, in NYS you need a trapping license and it can only be done during trapping season unless you are a licensed in a "Pest Control Service".

Wood that is my point each State have different laws ,when dealing with predators.

I for one deal with them within the laws. Hate when people try and tell me I am stealing from the people of Ohio. Yes I know you didn;t make that statment.

Hey I even keep alot of my land set aside for wildlife 35A out of 42A. I do control those that get around my pens, other are free to enjoy life.

I do follow all hunting and trapping laws, heck even have a permit to raise wildlife.

People dropping dogs and cats off ,do more harm to wildlife. than any person protecting their chickens.

babyblue wrote:
"You seriously need to do some research before you start spouting off and trying to sound all important and wise. Bobcats can and will get much larger then 20 pounds. Just like coyotes can get far larger then 20-30 pounds. They can and will attack humans, adult or child as well as any and all livestock. Particularly if they are sick, starving or especially if they have starving kittens.....And most importantly you do not know they laws and regulations of where the rest of us live. So don’t act as if the rest of us are stealing your precious wildlife when it is fully legal for ME to shoot and dispose of ANYTHING actively attacking or harassing my children or my livestock."

Important and wise?
roll.png
Well, I do have a graduate degree in ecology and more than 20 years of experience in the field and have worked in nearly every state in the country including Hawaii. I've worked as a biologist in academia, the private sector, and for state governments and for the federal government. That doesn't make me important or wise. It does make me experienced and educated. Laws of course vary from state to state but we all have access to the laws with a simple keystroke.

Sure, bobcats have attacked people. These are usually cats infected with rabies, although bobcats are not a primary rabies vector. Any rabid animal is unpredictable and could attack. I think we all know that. The size (weight) of a bobcat will vary with age, sex, habitat, region, etc. But whether you are dealing with an animal weighing in at 15 pounds or 35 pounds they simply do not represent a mortal threat. You can literally kill a bobcat with your bare hands. These aren't mountain lions folks. To my knowledge there has been no human fatality from a wild bobcat at any time in our country's history.

I completely agree that coyotes in the Eastern U.S. are wreaking havoc with the ecosystem. They are not native to that part of the country. But we weren't talking about coyotes....

Finally, it's not MY "precious wildlife". Our country's natural resources belong to all of us including future generations. It's easy to get hot headed and emotional when something is happening to you and on your own property no less! I personally don't want any of my chickens killed. I don't like trespassers on my property or people telling me what to do. But I would encourage people in any situation to calm themselves before acting and think things through. We live in a society. There are a lot of us and laws exist so that we can all get along without killing each other. There needs to be mutual respect and consideration. You may be able to justify to yourself blowing away any critter that does you wrong on your side of the property line. But that's the sort of 19th century thinking that lost us the passenger pigeon, hence my user name and avatar.​

To the original poster. Just do whatever you need to do and keep your mouth closed. No bragging. No complaining. Just do it and forget it. There are those who like to tattle tale like good little govt. children if they can.

CSW

We lost the passenger pigeon, because of over hunting, and robbing the nest for all those young squabs. Just like the Bison it was all about money....Not from people protecting theirs. Thats was the wolves.

You worked in most States then you should know, each have different laws on how to deal with predators. Yes some state you can kill them.

Back
Top Bottom