BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

With whole flocks of chickens and turkeys being wiped out I hope someone is starting to pay attention. One recent outbreak wasn't far from Frank Resse's poultry ranch, could you imagine if he lost his whole flock of heritage breeds?!!, or anyone else that has had lines going for generations?!!?.

This is what concerns me regarding how the USDA is handling these things. They set up an arbitrary quarantine/eradication zone and slaughter all the poultry within the zone, without bothering to test first. Granted, testing first is more expensive, but when you're talking about a bunch of *heritage* birds that could be slaughtered because of this arbitrary eradication zone, that's a problem. We literally could have the majority of a rare breed lost with just one person's flock being slaughtered because they happened to be *in the zone*, even if their birds were not infected. And yet nobody is really paying attention and trying to come up with more reasonable ways to deal with things.

This is what concerns me regarding how the USDA is handling these things. They set up an arbitrary quarantine/eradication zone and slaughter all the poultry within the zone, without bothering to test first. Granted, testing first is more expensive, but when you're talking about a bunch of *heritage* birds that could be slaughtered because of this arbitrary eradication zone, that's a problem. We literally could have the majority of a rare breed lost with just one person's flock being slaughtered because they happened to be *in the zone*, even if their birds were not infected. And yet nobody is really paying attention and trying to come up with more reasonable ways to deal with things.

the Missouri thread has some information that is only second hand (not fourth hand):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73271/calling-any-one-from-missouri/6620
read the last nine days of entries (everything from "Edencamp")
Quarantine zone is only a 6.2 mile circle and both Turkey barns are on a river.

lol.png
Just watched an episode of Dr. Pol last night on Amazon that had a lady bringing in her chicken for the growth on its chest that had hard, stone like things inside of it. That lady said she'd been farming for 40 years or more....I'm thinking she wasn't farming chickens in all that time.

I think I saw that same episode. My mouth dropped open over how distressed she was over what is completely normal for chickens, and I suddenly felt much better about myself.

Where has the USDA been indiscriminately slaughtering poultry? I have only heard of infected flocks being slaughtered. They need to be slaughtered. That is what to do with poultry with chronic or virulent diseases. I had the impression that they were handling it prudently. A quarantine zone and a buffer zone. All I have heard of is flocks being tested in the quarantine zone, and the restriction on moving poultry and poultry products. I am more concerned with backyard keepers moving it around, and not knowing any better, or others with irrational attachments to their birds, than I am the USDA. I am no fan of big government, but I see no harm or fowl here. Pun intended.

Maybe they are doing more than I thought they were.

A disease like this could certainly hurt the more vulnerable breeds. If I was to lose my flock of Catalanas, the population would have a very big dent put in it. It is a reminder to find a couple that we can partner with. That is easier said than done, sometimes.

This is going to be a new reality. It is here to stay. We will see it many years, and some years more than others. There is no reason to get worked up over it, but it may require some additional prudence along the way. Particularly for those that live in the major flyways, and flyways that have a large percentage of waterfowl. The more resistant species are a bigger threat. This strain can be self limiting in the most susceptible birds.

There are many flyways, but some more major than others. I am no expert on the topic, but the most major waterfowl flyways that I know of is the Pacific, Atlantic Coast, and the Midwest. Some other flyways that do not include as many waterfowl is the Rockies and Appalachians.

I free range my birds, and will continue to, but if it starts popping up around me, I may stop for a time. Or limit it.

I am concerned with the potential of restrictions on the interstate trade of birds. As it is, they are dealing with it as it comes up. What concerns me most about restrictions, is the haphazard trade by irresponsible people. All it takes is a few people to send it to unaffected States, and the sources be identified to get it being talked about.

We have a lot of yo yos sending birds all over the place. Birds not showing up on time, or dead, and people demanding refunds from USPS. I can think of a lot of examples for potential problems.

Irrational fear, and irresponsible behavior will do more harm than good.

Europe has dealt with this. There may be a few lessons for us there.

Here is a decent map, but it can be misleading. It isn't as if they are restricted to these paths. These would be more major routes. There are many minor routes, etc.

Anyone near or on a body of water is at a higher risk. Anyone that sees or has flocks of wild waterfowl on their property is at more risk. No one is without risk. Everyone knows what they see on their property from year to year. If anyone has a flock of geese or ducks visit their property, they might want to practice some bio security until a short while after they are gone. I do not think it survives long outside of the bird.

Where has the USDA been indiscriminately slaughtering poultry? I have only heard of infected flocks being slaughtered. They need to be slaughtered. That is what to do with poultry with chronic or virulent diseases. I had the impression that they were handling it prudently. A quarantine zone and a buffer zone. All I have heard of is flocks being tested in the quarantine zone, and the restriction on moving poultry and poultry products. I am more concerned with backyard keepers moving it around, and not knowing any better, or others with irrational attachments to their birds, than I am the USDA. I am no fan of big government, but I see no harm or fowl here. Pun intended.

Maybe they are doing more than I thought they were.

A disease like this could certainly hurt the more vulnerable breeds. If I was to lose my flock of Catalanas, the population would have a very big dent put in it. It is a reminder to find a couple that we can partner with. That is easier said than done, sometimes.

This is going to be a new reality. It is here to stay. We will see it many years, and some years more than others. There is no reason to get worked up over it, but it may require some additional prudence along the way. Particularly for those that live in the major flyways, and flyways that have a large percentage of waterfowl. The more resistant species are a bigger threat. This strain can be self limiting in the most susceptible birds.

There are many flyways, but some more major than others. I am no expert on the topic, but the most major waterfowl flyways that I know of is the Pacific, Atlantic Coast, and the Midwest. Some other flyways that do not include as many waterfowl is the Rockies and Appalachians.

I free range my birds, and will continue to, but if it starts popping up around me, I may stop for a time. Or limit it.

I am concerned with the potential of restrictions on the interstate trade of birds. As it is, they are dealing with it as it comes up. What concerns me most about restrictions, is the haphazard trade by irresponsible people. All it takes is a few people to send it to unaffected States, and the sources be identified to get it being talked about.

We have a lot of yo yos sending birds all over the place. Birds not showing up on time, or dead, and people demanding refunds from USPS. I can think of a lot of examples for potential problems.

Irrational fear, and irresponsible behavior will do more harm than good.

Europe has dealt with this. There may be a few lessons for us there.
When it showed up in the Pacific NW area a while back, the information that I read said they were slaughtering all the birds in the zone. They tested later, not before they slaughtered. And they were backyard flocks, not commercial flocks.

Some of the newest info that I have seen on the outbreak in MN and MO has been that they are no longer sure that it came from migrating water fowl. One theory has been that it was brought in through humans. But even that was not for certain. And they are still trying to figure out how it went from the Pacific Flyway, but then skipped over the Central Flyway and then was found in the Mississippi Flyway.

We also are not going to get all the information out there and for all I know, we may be getting fed a line of bull right now. It is not in the best interest of the government to be forthcoming on many things.

With whole flocks of chickens and turkeys being wiped out I hope someone is starting to pay attention. One recent outbreak wasn't far from Frank Resse's poultry ranch, could you imagine if he lost his whole flock of heritage breeds?!!, or anyone else that has had lines going for generations?!!?.

I happened on to this thread. I am always looking for info on the avian flu. You mentioned an outbreak close to Frank Reese. I assume and hope you are referring to the one in Leavenworth Co. and not one I don't know about.

I heard on the radio this morning that they hope to lift that quarantine in a few days.

I also worry that people could spread it by being careless or uncaring in moving poultry around.

Oh, since I am trespassing here, I thought I would add, from the little I know about it, Frank Reese has farmers that raise poultry for him so not all of his birds are on his property. If the flu or any disease showed up, it would be horrible, but he would have some genetics to start again. Getting more people involved with a project could save it.

I happened on to this thread. I am always looking for info on the avian flu. You mentioned an outbreak close to Frank Reese. I assume and hope you are referring to the one in Leavenworth Co. and not one I don't know about.

I heard on the radio this morning that they hope to lift that quarantine in a few days.

I also worry that people could spread it by being careless or uncaring in moving poultry around.

Yeah Leavenworth county Kansas. Your post confused me with the co until I just wrote county, Lol! I don't know Reese (my 'smart' phone thought it knew how to spell better than I and put Resse on that post)
but I have been on his website and have heard a lot of great things about him and his birds. Was just using him as a example of how devastating poultry diseases could be. I'm sure there are many others who if they lost their flock it would be devastating for the future of certain rare heritage breeds.
I hope people are paying attention! A barn of cornishx or white giant turkeys can be replaced rather easily, some rare breeds whole populations are less than what one average chicken farm has.

Back
Top Bottom