Bummer...

jaydweight

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Pleasant Grove, UT
My wife and I are seriously contemplating building a house, we've always wanted to and especially that my dad is a builder and we could get everything done at cost. The only problem is is that we could only afford to build in Saratoga Springs, Utah (we now live in PG and we love it, but we want to build) because I'm a teacher and get such a crappy salary. The only problem is that they don't allow chickens. AAARRRGGGHH!!!

We have 4 chickens. The move probably wouldn't happen in another year so the chickens would be full grown.

I don't know what to do. If we build in Saratoga Springs, Utah, do I dare just have the chickens anyways and see what happens?

What do you all think?

Are you prepared to fall in love with them and then have the city say you must get rid of them? Are you prepared for the fines that may accrue? If you have children (or even the children that you teach), are you prepared to teach them by example that you can ignore laws when they are inconvenient?

Much better to apply for a variance or work to legalize them BEFORE you get them.

Being a new person on this forum and this being only my third posting, I must agree with my fellows. You are a teacher, so teach the postive. Show your students, now they can make changes in the law. Nine months ago, I asked my county to allow residential zoned properties to have a small number of chickens and ducks. I have attending five county planning and zoning (P&Z) committee meetings, many town board meetings and two P&Z public hears on a new chicken/duck ordinance. This month, I am hoping that we will get the new chicken ordinance. Even if you get rejected on your request, you will be teaching children, showing that anyone can ask to have laws changed. I am sure that the children will not be the only ones to learn about good morals, good laws and judgement. Good learning means a good future.

I am starting to attend saratoga council meetings and want to see what I can do about getting them to change the zoning. does anyone have anything to say besides "oh thats a bad idea.." a lil bit of positive needed among all this negative, who's got ideas on how to approach the counsel and ideas about how to get them to listen..

Last edited:
Since you have such a crappy salary, forgo the chickens. It costs more to raise and feed them than the price of eggs at the store, especially in the city. Build your house, move in, and try to change the ordinance as a resident; rather than knowingly violating the current ordinance. You wouldn't teach that to your students would you?

So, Talked with Saratoga Springs Code enforcement officer and He stated "they are not enforcing chicken ordinance while the council is looking into a possible change in the law," oh and I will teach my kids to think outside the box everytime and not conform to others standards like some people here. So I guess its really up to my neighbors at this point since I went ahead and bought the chickens..but if I am going down so are a bunch of others in my neighborhood who seem to think outside said box as well. now if I could just get my daughter to stop killing the fish.
smile.png
And YES I am ready for the fines.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You never asked how to gp about getting the ordinance changed--you asked about keeping them illegally, so that is what people answered. There are many threads on here about how to positively affect a change in ordinance, zoning, code, etc. Teaching your children to go through these steps of trying to work with the system builds responsible, thoughtful adults. Teaching them to ignore inconvenient rules teaches them to be immature and selfish--it is NOT teaching them to "think outside the box." Thinking "outside the box" would be something like discovering that ducks are not illegal, and getting ducks instead of chickens. Or searching through the ordinances and discovering that there are ones that govern the keeping of chickens, and thus is in conflict with a provision against keeping them. Or ... anything new and different. Breaking the rules is neither new nor different.

Back
Top Bottom