CAT attacked ducklings, caution, gross pic, edit, less gross improving

Definitely make sure you start antibiotics. Any scrach or bite ive gotten from my kitties has taken weeks to heal... But ive seen much worse pictures of attacks and beatings on here that the ducks have survived. At the same time though, I feel bad for the kitty...just doing what she can to survive...you are probably either going to have to take the cat to a shelter or start feeding it. If she has a full tummy, she'd prob have no reason to attack the birds since it sounds like they have lived there for a while...

That little guy could use some antibiotics (baytril is safe for ducks) to ward off the infection that cat's nasty mouth is going to give him.

update
She's doing pretty good. Was up waddling around yesterday, looks lots better and started eating (super ground duck food - thanks to coffee grinder). I'll try to post new pics later. I saw some, but can't post, yet (friend has to send "link" thing).

Not my duck, a friends. She did get oral antibios for the juvie duck (along w/the topical Vetricyn).

I suggested she put water and cheap cat food by the house cat was deserted at until they decide what to do (animal control or what). She doesn't blame the cat.

Thanks again for suggestions and help.

Here's some pics that were taken Sunday.
She's doing okay. Limping and her leg is swollen, but acting like a duck, eating, drinking, quacking
wink.png
Her Swedish friend didn't fare as bad, but is getting treated w/the topical and oral antibio, also. Her wing got chewed. The Swedish hen is black but shows brown in the last pic (light refraction from too close, I think, left wing injury).
The Khaki Cambell is the one who tok the worst of the cat fight and is the one from the first post. I'm gonna post these on my first post, too so people will know she's doing better and won't be so sad/grossed out if they open the thread.

DSC01045.jpg

'
DSC01047.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

edit: added another pic.

Five days since injuries.
Topically treated with Vetricyn since day 1 and got onto oral antibio day 2 or 3.

Last edited:
That is soo good to hear!! It is very encouraging for anyone who has this type of thing happen. Thank you for the update.

Final update.
big_smile.png

They're doing fine. The vet said that the one "bigger" hole in her bill would brobably remain, other two small ones might still close up (horse vet took a look when he was out for the horses). She breathes a bit different, but does fine.
The black one, who had the wing chewed, is growing new feathers on her 'stub'.
Here's pics:
]
DSC01051.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

Last edited:
I can't fathom a cat doing that to a big duck :-9 Breaks my heart for the duck and that poor cat that was so straving it went after a duck! Im so glad to see the duck looking anf feeling so much better!

awwwwww poor things, I'm so glad they're doing better. I'm so afraid of that happening. I'm going to add the items listed in this thread to have on hand in case I need them!

Back
Top Bottom