Chicken wire or hardware cloth...whats better

Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens out of things, not keeping them safe from predators. Rodents can slip through it, raccoons can reach through, larger predators can rip it apart. Hardware cloth or welded wire is a far better choice.

Height depends on a lot of factors. Will it have a roof? Do humans need to be able stand up in it? Are you just trying to keep chickens in? What kind of predators are you trying to keep out? What kind of chickens do you have? Will you clip wings?

Oh, missed the part about height. I'd say make it tall enough to comfortably walk in, even if you don't currently plan to roof or cover it. Half my run is 4' and half is 6'. I really wish I had done 6' throughout as I had to add netting over the top and so now the 6' still is walk in, but the 4' part will need some u-posts around the perimeter to keep the netting high enough to walk under.

Build as big as you can, tall enough to walk in, and hardware cloth everywhere there's an opening.
It's a waste of money and time to use chicken wire anywhere on the coop. If your coop is large enough for your birds to be locked in for a couple of weeks at a time, then a less safe run might make sense, temporarily. Otherwise, plan on having a very safe run also, and roofing it would be nice too.
Snow country runs are not the same as semi-tropical runs, so having some idea of your location will help too.
Mary

Hardware cloth always. Just my opinion. I never have to worry when my chickens are in the coop and run because of it. The only thing getting through that is a bear.
Side note we also buried ours 1 ft deep and did 1 foot out as an apron. More money now will save you in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom