Consolidated Kansas

Oh Danz!!! I am soooo sorry. The tragedy.
hit.gif
hit.gif
I am so sad for you and Cloud, she was such a sweet girl. I just can't imagine why anyone would do this. She would never harm livestock so she shouldn't have been a threat to anyone. My heart just breaks for you and your loss. She was such a kind hearted animal, I am just at a loss for why someone would kill her.
DH got her home. She was shot once in the side and once in the head. I hurt but I'm very angry!!!

My heart is broken. DH looked for two hours and found Cloud's body. He is out picking her up right now. She is too heavy to lift and carry so he came home to get a sled.
Do you know how you just know something? I hear gun shots all the time out here and never think about them. But somehow I just knew when I heard those something had happened to one of my dogs. The word is out and if I find out who did this they will have hell to pay. She was found on my friend's property so no one was just in shooting her.
I am just very very sad and feel ill. Later the anger will set in.
That is the end of my dogs. I can't breed any more because she was the one I saved for that purpose. Had this happened and I'd known a couple hours earlier the last pup wouldn't have left. I would refunded her money and kept the dog.
How can anyone be so heartless. I am sorry but I just can't comment on other posts right now.

I am sooo sooo sorry.. she was a beautiful dog

Danz--Oh no, praying that it was not Cloud--Please let us know

Josie--I now have the mille frizzle cochin boy here in ks that i have been drooling over for so long. i think a little over 3 mo's Yeah! i will post pics later.

Hawkeye--urgggghhh, thats the worst when you have high hopes and then bleh not what you thought you were getting--my baby cochin hatch turned out to have 5 toes--um silkie cochin mix anyone (not to mention 4 roosters 1 pullet
th.gif
)

Trish--1 baby SFH, 2 more due to hatch this weekend, first chick is very dark coloring so i am thinking will be more of the mille coloring like Sven versus the light brown of the girls, I think i am going to sell all the babies though.

Welcome to all the new peeps out there.

Couple of images from the greenhouse to help (or torture-depending on how you look at it)those of us that are just itching to dig in the dirt--the sunshine the last couple of days has really jumpstarted everything in there,
I'm glad to hear you're getting some babies from Sven. Don't go by how their coloring is now though, they will change a lot. The chicks I hatched are the ones I now use for breeding & they don't look a thing like they did when they were little. You can see some of mine at the top of the Kansas Poultry Swap page, the pic is of mine when they were little chicks. I'll have to take some pics of the rest of mine when I get a chance. I have one hen that needs a bath right now, she got really muddy when it was raining & she just looks awful.
My heart is broken. DH looked for two hours and found Cloud's body. He is out picking her up right now. She is too heavy to lift and carry so he came home to get a sled.
Do you know how you just know something? I hear gun shots all the time out here and never think about them. But somehow I just knew when I heard those something had happened to one of my dogs. The word is out and if I find out who did this they will have hell to pay. She was found on my friend's property so no one was just in shooting her.
I am just very very sad and feel ill. Later the anger will set in.
That is the end of my dogs. I can't breed any more because she was the one I saved for that purpose. Had this happened and I'd known a couple hours earlier the last pup wouldn't have left. I would refunded her money and kept the dog.
How can anyone be so heartless. I am sorry but I just can't comment on other posts right now.
I am so sorry, I just can't even imagine why someone would do that. I hope you can find out who did it & why. I feel so terribly sad for you.

I am trying to gather my thoughts this morning and be realistic about what I can do. DH said there were tracks and that someone had literally chased cloud down in a vehicle to shoot her. That makes me even more upset. So it also probably answers some questions of one or two people who might have done it. The prime suspect is a new neighbor across the way who has just gotten a few goats. My dogs would never bother goats. Fluff has been with goats and Cloud would never hurt one or bother one. I can't imagine why they were there but it was warm and they like to go to the creek. If they followed the creek it would take them to his place. But the fact is that she was run down and shot on my friend's property which means the person would have had to get in his vehicle and chase her some distance to kill her. I was going to contact the vet to see if I could get the bullets removed from her. There are no exit wounds. So I could prove who shot her but I don't know if the sheriff's office would even take the time to mess with it. I am hoping DH will call someone today and find out. My other resource is to take pictures of the tire tracks and measure the wheel base to match it to this guys' vehicle.
My real focus right now is to assure that nothing happens to my other dogs. Without them I can't keep my birds. Idiots that do things like this have no idea just how deep a cut they have made in my heart.
On another subject Hawkeye I think the people on that thread are talking out of turn. The one chick with the gold on it's face does look like a mix. That can easily happen to anyone. I have no idea why they are talking sex link though?? I am sure that someone sneaked into the wrong house or one of the hens was out. It is bound to happen to anyone with an operation that size. The other chicks look absolutely pure bred to me. I have seen lots of barred rock chicks and I have no idea why they are saying they aren't. The chicks with the really finer lines are males and the ones with the broader looking lines are females. I saw both in your pictures. The one you say has crappy barring would be female and only looks that way because she is young. The lines become more distinct with age. People sure are quick to criticize and make judgements without thinking about things as a whole. They are trying to judge those chicks like they are fully feathered older birds.
The only fault I have found with the adults I bought and the younger chicks is that they aren't concave. I wouldn't call it a hump by any means on mine because it is a tuft of feathers. This could be something that develops out as they get their mature adult feathers as well. When I find time I would like to look at some examples of some show quality barred rocks to compare. Hechicken mine have tail feathers; my older cockerel is just now forming his. He is young but should have a nicely pronounced tail when they all come in. My cuckoo Marans rooster for instance I just sold was 2 and he just got his full tail in example. I have some nice barred rock pullets from another source and I think breeding the two together will produce an even better bird.
Hawkeye I certainly wouldn't cull the chicks other than that one with the red. You could always put him in the stew pot. The others look great.
BBSnooks, I used plumbers strapping tape attached with screws to attach the panels to the frame. I put them inside the frame and put bracing at an angle in the corners and a board across the middle of the whole structure screwed in to hold the frame together. I attached my panels inside the frame and used ratcheting tie downs to pull the panels to shape before I fastened them. I've done this entirely alone other than DH hooked the tractor to the frame with the panels attached and drug it into place for me. I built it on more level ground and then had him move it after tilling up the area where it was going to sit.
I got the outside door hung and got the wire attached to it, and hooked a chain to the inside door to attach the chicken door to to hold it up. I have the tarp temporarily on the hoop but I am not happy with it. I had a terrible time wrestling it in the wind yesterday. I am hoping to get DH to help me hold it in place while I permanently attach it today. The quality was not what I am used to so I doubt it lasts very long. I may just bite the bullet and order a custom made tarp to fit soon. The only thing I am concerned about at this point is keeping excess rain out. I need to build a couple of nesting boxes to put in there and attach a latch to the outer door and it should be good to go after finishing attaching the tarp.

Oh how tragically sad. People are just terrible, I can't imagine chasing a dog down like that and wouldn't it be completely illegal to shoot a dog on someone elses property? I mean you can't hunt from a vehicle legally why could you drive onto someone else's property and shoot a dog?! I would be calling the Sheriff ASAP and making darn sure someone gets out and looks into it. That is dangerous behavior who ever is up to it and completely inappropriate.

I am not one hundred percent sure but the whole sex link thing might not be that off base. I was perusing hatching egg sales (just out of general curiosity, not for my own buying needs) and was reading on a posting for rhodebar eggs about creating a sex link with a RIR and a barred rock. I don't remember what the color sexing trait was but I remember the discussion and it was also pertaining to the differences between auto sexing birds reproducing true colors with each generation versus a sex link only occurring in the first generation. Hawkeye-I wouldn't be shy about contacting him. If he is a reputable breeder he can tell you what is going on and fix the mistake if there is one. If you got them before they were feathered out I don't know how he would have known as most chicks all look the same when they are just downy fluff.
big_smile.png

I am trying to gather my thoughts this morning and be realistic about what I can do. DH said there were tracks and that someone had literally chased cloud down in a vehicle to shoot her. That makes me even more upset. So it also probably answers some questions of one or two people who might have done it. The prime suspect is a new neighbor across the way who has just gotten a few goats. My dogs would never bother goats. Fluff has been with goats and Cloud would never hurt one or bother one. I can't imagine why they were there but it was warm and they like to go to the creek. If they followed the creek it would take them to his place. But the fact is that she was run down and shot on my friend's property which means the person would have had to get in his vehicle and chase her some distance to kill her. I was going to contact the vet to see if I could get the bullets removed from her. There are no exit wounds. So I could prove who shot her but I don't know if the sheriff's office would even take the time to mess with it. I am hoping DH will call someone today and find out. My other resource is to take pictures of the tire tracks and measure the wheel base to match it to this guys' vehicle.
My real focus right now is to assure that nothing happens to my other dogs. Without them I can't keep my birds. Idiots that do things like this have no idea just how deep a cut they have made in my heart.
On another subject Hawkeye I think the people on that thread are talking out of turn. The one chick with the gold on it's face does look like a mix. That can easily happen to anyone. I have no idea why they are talking sex link though?? I am sure that someone sneaked into the wrong house or one of the hens was out. It is bound to happen to anyone with an operation that size. The other chicks look absolutely pure bred to me. I have seen lots of barred rock chicks and I have no idea why they are saying they aren't. The chicks with the really finer lines are males and the ones with the broader looking lines are females. I saw both in your pictures. The one you say has crappy barring would be female and only looks that way because she is young. The lines become more distinct with age. People sure are quick to criticize and make judgements without thinking about things as a whole. They are trying to judge those chicks like they are fully feathered older birds.
The only fault I have found with the adults I bought and the younger chicks is that they aren't concave. I wouldn't call it a hump by any means on mine because it is a tuft of feathers. This could be something that develops out as they get their mature adult feathers as well. When I find time I would like to look at some examples of some show quality barred rocks to compare. Hechicken mine have tail feathers; my older cockerel is just now forming his. He is young but should have a nicely pronounced tail when they all come in. My cuckoo Marans rooster for instance I just sold was 2 and he just got his full tail in example. I have some nice barred rock pullets from another source and I think breeding the two together will produce an even better bird.
Hawkeye I certainly wouldn't cull the chicks other than that one with the red. You could always put him in the stew pot. The others look great.

So DH wakes me up as he is heading out the door this AM to tell me that Jackson (TWH) is loose in the lagoon fencing again! Ugh, so I drag my aching body out of bed (too much painting and farm work yesterday for this pregnant girl) all to find that the horse is standing placidly in his pasture!!! Argghhhhh! I mean, did he check, well, no. Turns out he just "thought" the horse was out. Geez.

Molly is going out during the day and learning the fence boundaries. She is so smart, she took one look at those white flags and went the other way! I don't think Lucie will be quite so quick to learn! Poor Lucie, she has done pretty well but is on Gabapentin right now because she was having nerve pain or phantom leg syndrome. Hopefully a few weeks of the meds will clear that up for her but she is so loopy right now on it! She is getting around pretty well and will have her staples out on Wednesday.

I need to get out and feed everyone and then get some painting done. I think we are also going to run hotwire along the top of the horse fence so they stop pushing on it so much. I am afraid they are just going to knock it over. Only trouble is there is no electric out there yet. Has anyone used those portable fence chargers? Or a solar powered one? Let me know!

I have lurked for many months and am now saying Hello! I live in south eastern Kansas and have several chickens and other poultry and hogs. I share my life with 2 great children and a wonderful husband. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law lives with us. I have many cats and 3 great pyrenees dogs.

YAY for a new roof! So glad they were able to finish it fast! I'm sure they'll be fast with the siding too when they get to it. Glad you are happy with their work.
Thanks Hawkeye - well, they started the siding on Wednesday, and we had a nasty surprise. Under the old composite siding there was absolutely nothing!!! It was attached to the framing. Noah chuckled and said maybe he should do the same thing - then if we ever had a fire all we'd have to do would be punch through the drywall and out we go. He said that he's seen a few houses built in the 70's (like this one) that had only plywood on the corners - but never one with nothing but the framing. So we've got a much bigger job than we thought, more time, more expense, more materials... sigh. We are hoping to be moving in on May 1st, so we're on the countdown on having things ready. Went over with a load of nonessential (here) furniture yesterday. Essential stuff (beds, appliances) will go on "moving day" in a uhaul. But doing most everything else in the pickup.
Taking another load of trees today - assuming the wind doesn't blow the truck off the road!! Sara

Welcome! Where in SE Kansas are you? I'm currently south of Dennis (just off 400 - 7 miles west of Parsons). In the process of moving to Wilson County, northwest of Altoona. There are a great group of folks here. I'm not keeping up very well now, cuz of moving, but look forward to more involvement after we're settled. Sara

Back
Top Bottom