d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

I got lots of adorable d'Anver babes from BBB this spring! They're doing awesome but I'm not sure what color this little girl is. I was thinking Silver quail or white quail, but I don't know the difference between the two.

Those stupid bantams may have made me crack a rib. Refused to go back inside the barn when I needed to let out another group, tried to round them up, they avoided the door, back and forth and back and forth and I tripped and fell on my left side, scraped up my leg above my knee and my left forearm, crushed an egg in my left pocket (my 8 yr old EE, June's, her first after having broken one inside her weeks ago) and ouch, it hurts. Probably just bruised, not necessarily cracked. Stupid #$@% pint-sized roosters, grrr. They've lost their outside privileges unless my husband is home to help get them back in. Maybe they need to live somewhere else. I seriously think they are the dumbest roosters on the planet, these Belgian D'Anvers. Spike wouldn't be as bad about going back inside if it wasn't for Aubrey, who is still a lunatic at over 5 years old.

I still had to round them up one at a time after my fall, catch one, throw her into her inside pen. For the last two little hens I could not catch to save my life, I employed drastic measures- I released The Cracken, aka little bantam Cochin, Xander, who has had a thing for the D'anver hens through the fence for a long time. He was after them with a vengeance. THEN, they were running from something other than me, HA! He helped me catch Aimee and Penny, FINALLY. Then, I had to go to the house to take off my egg-soaked clothes.

oh man i feel your pain! i have just two d'anvers. one is from my boggy hatch. she is GREAT, little cricket. goes right in but my older one! grrrr she is so darn smart. i can pick her up but NOT when i want her IN! she knows exactly how far she can stand that i can't reach....so maybe your roosters are just smart and not stupid! i go thru it a couple times a week. usually if i wait til they go in for their early evening (5pm) snack and the hard ones are in i can get the rest in easy anyway....they rule the roost! take it easy and hope you heal first....XO

oh man i feel your pain! i have just two d'anvers. one is from my boggy hatch. she is GREAT, little cricket. goes right in but my older one! grrrr she is so darn smart. i can pick her up but NOT when i want her IN! she knows exactly how far she can stand that i can't reach....so maybe your roosters are just smart and not stupid! i go thru it a couple times a week. usually if i wait til they go in for their early evening (5pm) snack and the hard ones are in i can get the rest in easy anyway....they rule the roost! take it easy and hope you heal first....XO
Oh, Spike may be of above average intelligence for a D'Anver male, but not his dad. Aubrey, my older porcelain, is dumb as a ROCK. LOL. They sure did me in yesterday. The hens are starting to give me trouble going in, but could be because they get less time outside than they were used to in our old system. And I realize I need new chicken shoes. My old ones have zero tread left, even getting holes in the bottom, probably contributed to my fall as well. So, will painfully go to Walmart to see if I can find some new shoes with decent tread on them today.

I know what you mean about them knowing how far is juuuuust out of reach. Irritating little brats.

Hi all!

I got some amazing D'anver eggs from Boggy Bottom Bantams this year. They are adorable, and soooo tiny! They are really tiny next to my big girls.

I was wondering if everyone's adult birds are able to eat Layer pellets. They are on crumbles right now as they are young but the are so small I am worried they won't be able to eat the food my large fowl eat.

If they can't, I'll make a creep feeder for them and give them crumbles (otherwise the big girls will steal all the crumbles).

Back
Top Bottom