d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Rusty #2. His coloring is just perfect.

I went out this morning to look for spurs. Rusty and His only have tiny found nubs. Gus is now a year old and should have full spurs in comparison to my other chickens. Rusty is what 3 now so he definitely should have them.

Another interesting observation. Rusty holds his tail to the left when he's trying to impress the ladies.

I went out this morning to look for spurs. Rusty and His only have tiny found nubs. Gus is now a year old and should have full spurs in comparison to my other chickens. Rusty is what 3 now so he definitely should have them.

Another interesting observation. Rusty holds his tail to the left when he's trying to impress the ladies.

Interesting! Yes, Rusty should have spurs now, so he has that gene, I'd guess. Funny about his tail. I haven't seen Rusty3 even trying to dance for the hens yet, but then, he's slow on other counts plus he's at the very bottom in rank of those five males in that flock. His brothers are most definitely more dominant now, though he started out to be a little brat early on.

I've had to cut Aubrey's spurs in half at least three times and they're back to about 3" long again, very curved.

Last edited:
Silver duckwing d'Anver project.

I like the males of that color variety. Nice, JJ.

Here is Jack. He flew out four times today before I finally shooed the entire group back into the covered section and made them stay there. He flirted with some of the elderly hens, who had free range time. Panda cleaned his clock and had him running for his life, LOL, as I knew she would. He was ready to go back into the pen after getting his butt kicked by a girl, and a very old girl at that. (she's 7 1/2). I should have named him Rusty instead of little Rusty3 because he flogged me in the back of the leg yesterday. I saw the attitude change and wasn't a bit surprised by it. He's threatening me in the picture. Good thing they're such little chicken nuggets.

Last edited:
I just removed the three teen males and put them in Zane's old cage for the night. Jack and Sam were mauling the poor hens. Rusty, however, was way up high, perched on the cord of the heat lamp (not on today) from where I remove him nightly because he can't find a place to be on the roost with the adults or he hates the chaos, not sure which. He's over 17 weeks old but the size of an 8 week old so he gets run over quite a bit by his rowdy brothers. He hasn't crowed or tried to mate anyone that I'm aware of but he seems fine otherwise.

I'm not sure what to do with the Three Amigos but I can't let the poor hens be accosted so much. Sam is super sweet and in spite of his feathered legs, he will make someone a great little rooster. He knows his name and he seeks me out all the time. If they are still here when my new barn is up and ready, it will have an extra pen for them until I can rehome them all, but until then, they may be living in a 3x5 cage and free ranging among the coyotes like Aubrey's "spare parts" (what he calls his extra males that roam).

Here's Rusty3 today. He really isn't living up to his name. He only bites on occasion when I have to catch him, doesn't flog me. Today, after a night away from the flock, suddenly found his mojo! He is crowing and grabbing the hens! His crow is so cute. @Boggy Bottom Bantams have you ever seen any dwarfism show up in the D'Anver lines at any time? This guy is the size of an 8 week old, not the almost 18 weeks old he really is. He's probably just a runt because he's just small, no other weird stuff like you see with dwarfs, but thought I'd ask, since there are several types of dwarfism. I have a video for perspective with the other boys but can't upload for a little while.

Video finally uploaded.
0.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom