destruction and disposal orders HELP

Hey chickenvet97 I have a non confrontational personality and definitely do not want to get into a war of words with you or anyone for that fact.

BUT in this case, I do not believe we should be looking at the big picture.

This is not about the spread of AI or the economic repercussions from AI; this is about the proposed, unfair killing of a negative flock.

You mention “the bottom line is the eggs never should have shipped, the buyers should have educated themselves more and their actions and the actions of the seller have put others at risk”.

I believe that is not the bottom line; the bottom line in this case is that 150 or so innocent, negatively tested birds were going to be destroyed.

Killing John’s negative birds is not going to stop the spread of AI.

Granted my Rabies scenario was maybe not a good one and I did not intend to compare Rabies to AI; the point I was trying to make is that we should not randomly be killing animals because they are at risk of spreading a disease; especially when those animals test negative for that disease.

We can go backwards and forwards for days, weeks, months with thoughts and opinions on AI and how to stop the spread, handle flocks that test positive etc but I think the point to remember here is that this flock tested negative and killing them as part of the big picture would be so wrong.

Last edited:
Hey chickenvet97 I have a non confrontational personality and definitely do not want to get into a war of words with you or anyone for that fact.

BUT in this case, I do not believe we should be looking at the big picture.

This is not about the spread of AI or the economic repercussions from AI; this is about the proposed, unfair killing of a negative flock.

You mention “the bottom line is the eggs never should have shipped, the buyers should have educated themselves more and their actions and the actions of the seller have put others at risk”.

I believe that is not the bottom line; the bottom line in this case is that 150 or so innocent, negatively tested birds were going to be destroyed.

Killing John’s negative birds is not going to stop the spread of AI.

Granted my Rabies scenario was maybe not a good one and I did not intend to compare Rabies to AI; the point I was trying to make is that we should not randomly be killing animals because they are at risk of spreading a disease; especially when those animals test negative for that disease.

We can go backwards and forwards for days, weeks, months with thoughts and opinions on AI and how to stop the spread, handle flocks that test positive etc but I think the point to remember here is that this flock tested negative and killing them as part of the big picture would be so wrong.
hugs.gif
my birds thank you sooo much! ...as does guilt-ridden (and by that i mean VERY guilty) john

hugs.gif
my birds thank you sooo much! ...as does guilt-ridden (and by that i mean VERY guilty) john
I'm sorry but I don't feel you have a reason to be guilt ridden. Any one of us could have decided to purchase eggs and had that happen. It's not as though you knew there were any cases in that area and still proceeded to buy. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. Guilty is for negligent people, people who knew what they were doing was wrong or stupid and preceeded to do it anyway. Someone who did something WRONG and that my friend is not you. Most of us here understand what you are going through to some point and we can put ourself in your shoes and feel compassion. Something like this you don't point fingers, you work together to educate others and share your experiences and find a way to overcome.

AmyLynn2374 Totally agree! Well said!

John, you did not knowingly purchase eggs at the risk of spreading the disease and there is no guilt or blame to be laid at anyone’s feet.

Living in Aus, I am not currently personally affected by the threat of AI and some may think that this does not qualify me to have an opinion.

But I do not think that this thread is really about AI either; this thread is about the senseless killing of negatively testing birds.

If we start killing negative birds because they are ‘a risk’; where do we draw the line? Maybe my flock IS at risk?

Yes, AI is definitely an issue and concern; Yes, we do need to work together; Yes we do need to educate; Yes we do need to support and overcome and Yes, action does need to be taken if birds are affected but NO we do not need to start slaughtering on the off chance or as punishment for unwittingly or unknowingly purchasing possibly contaminated eggs.

If you have not already noticed, I am passionate about this ... I will climb down off my soap box now but will close by saying:

This is not really about who is at fault, who is right, who is wrong, who did what and as much as I like John, it is not really about him either ... it is about defending any animal that is destined to be destroyed because it is A Risk.

Last edited:
AmyLynn2374 Totally agree!  Well said!

John, you did not knowingly purchase eggs at the risk of spreading the disease and there is no guilt or blame to be laid at anyone’s feet.

Living in Aus, I am not currently personally affected by the threat of AI and some may think that this does not qualify me to have an opinion.

But I do not think that this thread is really about AI either; this thread is about the senseless killing of negatively testing birds.

If we start killing negative birds because they are ‘a risk’; where do we draw the line?  Maybe my flock IS at risk?

Yes, AI is definitely an issue and concern; Yes, we do need to work together; Yes we do need to educate; Yes we do need to support and overcome and Yes, action does need to be taken if birds are affected but NO we do not need to start slaughtering on the off chance or as punishment for unwittingly or unknowingly purchasing possibly contaminated eggs.

If you have not already noticed, I am passionate about this ... I will climb down off my soap box now but will close by saying:

This is not really about who is at fault, who is right, who is wrong, who did what and as much as I like John, it is not really about him either ... it is about defending any animal that is needlessly destroyed because it is A Risk.
Boom! best answer I've read so far

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe this thread is about our support system for John. It is not about attacking John for this. This thread also has a lot of information that is valuable. If there is anyone who is posting on this thread with criticizing John, they are flaming or trolling, which is reportable. And we all need to know what the rules are involving containment of AI and making sure that the people that made the rules are not breaking them either.
x 2 We are here to support John!

If he were my neighbor would I want him to have to have his birds killed w/o proof positive? No.  Just as I would not want my birds killed without a proof positive. I would be praying long and hard that they weren't, but I would not want to see anyone have their birds killed on a maybe.  I'd be proud to stand beside a neighbor (if I like them well enough) to help make sure that did not happen.

X2! If these were our birds OR our neighbors birds, I would be so happy they tested negative and were okay. I think this case confirms the point that those in power should be those with real experience. Kind of like the president. People who don't know what worrying and working and suffering are shouldn't be allowed to just steamroll e1.
The d&d orders weren't the right thing to do, as evidenced by the final outcome.

Thank you.
And...yes, that is a rather large link. Its bound to make a web browser feel very lucky.
1f632.png

Heehee...

I'm sorry but I don't feel you have a reason to be guilt ridden. Any one of us could have decided to purchase eggs and had that happen. It's not as though you knew there were any cases in that area and still proceeded to buy.  Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. Guilty is for negligent people, people who knew what they were doing was wrong or stupid and preceeded to do it anyway. Someone who did something WRONG and that my friend is not you. Most of us here understand what you are going through to some point and we can put ourself in your shoes and feel compassion. Something like this you don't point fingers, you work together to educate others and share your experiences and find a way to overcome. 

X2. Out of ovations but have to agree!

AmyLynn2374 Totally agree!  Well said!

If we start killing negative birds because they are ‘a risk’; where do we draw the line?  Maybe my flock IS at risk?

This is not really about who is at fault, who is right, who is wrong, who did what and as much as I like John, it is not really about him either ... it is about defending any animal that is destined to be destroyed because it is A Risk.

You are still on this planet and to me, that gives you every right to have an opinion! Just because it hasn't affected AUS yet doesn't mean it can't or won't, so I applaud your conviction!

X3
This thread is so awesome I may end up using all of my ovations here. Lol are those things limited?
Now, time for a nice stiff brandy.

Here, here! Make mine a turkey 101 please! A toast to John and his healthy, beautiful, LIVING birds!!

o
Quote:
ok, can't get any info . that way and as wvduckchick said in re. to this also that is a closed group...guess since I'm not on facebook I cannot read it,
thanks to you both for trying though !

can you , or someone else reading this, possibly copy & paste just what happened to David, his post on facebook ?
I 've been searching news articles in the ks. area in the meantime, not seeing anything.
curious how it happened, what was the trigger...was it similar to what happened to Johnskoi ?

want to know if the Ks. state rules/regs.
response and containment plan for
highly pathogenic and low
pathogenic avian influenza protocols were followed ?

this is very important for all of us to know, poultry enthusiasts arm yourselves with your state rules now !
this could happen to any of us at any time , very scary and sad for those who have to go through it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom