do you have dogs? what to do with our dog that kills?

fishwithaface

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2015
Southern Utah
Today was a tragic day. Our Jack Russel slipped out the door, and got ahold of my Chubbs [bufforph]. She is never allowed outside with the chickens, this was a clear escape. But, she has never been good with anything other than dogs. She would kill again if given the opportunity.
What would you do? Any training advice? Should I find her a new home? I'm sad about the chicken, but also sad cause my dog did this.

Please help.

As far as I'm aware, Jack Russels ARE hunting dogs. They were bred for fox hunting.
I once owned a part Jack Russel as a child and she was so high energy that she would chew and chase just about anything that moved. Including me! In a playful manner, of course.

I'm so sorry to hear she got one of your chickens. How big is she? Small? Medium? Do you know how she escaped?
Do the chickens free range outside, or are they inside a large pen?
I wouldn't be so drastic as to re-home her just yet -- it's in her nature to want to hunt, after all.

As far as I'm aware, Jack Russels ARE hunting dogs. They were bred for fox hunting.

I once owned a part Jack Russel as a child and she was so high energy that she would chew and chase just about anything that moved. Including me! In a playful manner, of course.

I'm so sorry to hear she got one of your chickens. How big is she? Small? Medium? Do you know how she escaped?

Do the chickens free range outside, or are they inside a large pen?
I wouldn't be so drastic as to re-home her just yet -- it's in her nature to want to hunt, after all.

My elderly parents were going out the door, and she slipped past my mother and went after my chicks that were free ranging. They are only 5 weeks old, and for the past two weeks, I've allowed my flock [10 chicks, 4 ducks, all various ages] to free range in the front yard instead of in the back yard near their coop. She got one, but was out for more. She's had problems with cats, birds, rodents, lizards, she barks at everything that moves. She's a 20lbs dog. But my biggest concern is she would do this again in a heart beat. :\ and my parents letting dogs out the front door has been a huge issue even before we had a flock, I'm upset that They let a fatality happen before they opened there eyes and realized that "oops, I probably shouldn't be so careless"

My elderly parents were going out the door, and she slipped past my mother and went after my chicks that were free ranging. They are only 5 weeks old, and for the past two weeks, I've allowed my flock [10 chicks, 4 ducks, all various ages] to free range in the front yard instead of in the back yard near their coop. She got one, but was out for more. She's had problems with cats, birds, rodents, lizards, she barks at everything that moves. She's a 20lbs dog. But my biggest concern is she would do this again in a heart beat. :\ and my parents letting dogs out the front door has been a huge issue even before we had a flock, I'm upset that They let a fatality happen before they opened there eyes and realized that "oops, I probably shouldn't be so careless"

Sadly, she would do it again since it's in her nature because of her breed. Not all breeds get along with other species, no matter what's done. It all depends on the dog's personality, too.
It does take training to teach them not to do so, but even then there are fall backs from what I've learned with the current dog my family member owns. Thankfully, he just likes to chase chickens, not kill them. He's kept on a runner chain outside so he has the room to exercise and the like, but still stay within a controlled area.

It sounds as if the issue is with your parents? Considering you state that it was an issue of releasing the dog even before the flock appeared.
This probably could have prevented if they weren't so careless, as you stated. You know now that the dog is capable of killing and would do so once more -- maybe worst next time. It is disappointing that it took a death for them to perhaps notice that maybe it wasn't a good idea. Perhaps a talk with them is in order?

Is the dog more prone to slipping out the front door as opposed to the back? Or is it an 'equal opportunity' sort of ordeal?
If the backyard is less likely for her to access, maybe it might be best to put the flock near the coop after all? At least until they're a little bigger... Though I'm sure that wouldn't stop your dog from trying again no matter the size. Perhaps a large, caged area is needed to place the flock in? One that your dog cannot jump, lift, or break through. Maybe even surrounding the backyard and their coop.

This seems like quite the mixed situation. I'm trying to think of solutions other than what I've stated above.

Jack Russels do have a reputation for having a very high prey drive. That doesn't mean you should not try to train her. I don't know your parents so I can't comment on them letting the dog out the front door. Have you asked them not to let that happen? Maybe you need to hold onto the dog when they're leaving or going outside. Do you have a run you can keep your chickens in when your folks are there? Or leave the chickens in the back yard? You are the only one who can make the decision as to whether or not you should keep the dog. A lot depends upon how hard you want to try to keep dog and chickens separated.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost your Chubbs.

We have 5 dogs, 1 Australian Cattledog, 2 a Schnauzer/terrier mix, 3 Border collie, and finally a brother and sister, Border collie/ hound and Border Collie/Jack Russel terrier. All of them love to hunt and the last, the Border Collie/ Jack Russel is an avid digger/killer of small prey. I would love to free range our birds but alas with these 5 around it is impossible. We did break Sissy, the Jack Russell mix day one from pestering the chickens in their pen. The answer? Hot wire around the pen. I would recommend you try it. You could also try shock training collars. I cannot promise that you will be able to trust the dog with your birds if it gets an opportunity but if the birds are penned, you can get your dog to leave them alone. Sissy will not go near the barn or the run at this point. She makes a wide circle around it and will only go near the north, unprotected side of the barn. It only took one shock but would I trust her if the birds were away from the safety of their hot wired pen....no.

You cannot stop a dog, especially a 'ground hunter' like a Jack Russell from being something that is genetically bred into them. The best you can do is protect your birds from your terrier.

Train the dog. Mine kill wild predators and as of now other peoples dogs. They have both killed chickens as well but no longer do. They are German Pointer, hunting dogs bred to hunt small game and in this country used almost exclusively to hunt gamebirds. They were still trainable and they are now left out with free-range birds 24/7.

Effort takes work. Confer with someone that knows how to train dogs, has successful experience with dogs and chickens and actually thinks enough of the effort to give it a fair shot. Avoid advice from parties lacking these attributes.

You must understand that dogs are wolves! and chicken and wolves don't mix together! you must remember that in the first chance they will kill the chickens. you must sparest them! The only exception are shepherd dogs that after training( and they must go trough one before their introduction to the chickens!) they have a lesser chance to attack the chickens.

Last edited:
The most important training is going to be to train the humans to keep birds and dog apart - as mentioned above, you are working with a breed that is bred to go after small prey and kill it. The dog also needs work on door bolting as this seems to be the cause of this particular incident. What training method do you currently use with the dog? It's important to know what sort of foundation you are working with in advising how to build on that to address the issue at hand.
There is no need to re-home this dog based on this incident, it is something that is going to be fairly easily addressed with a little prevention - perhaps while the flock is out in the front yard you can make sure the dog is securely within the house - meaning that before an exterior door is opened someone is physically holding the dog or she is secured in a crate or room that is closed - or leashed and under direct control. These are immediate fixes you can apply to give you the time that needs to be invested in more generalized training.

Back
Top Bottom