Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I've been reading through here from the beginning the last couple weeks laughing thinking SERIOUSLY. I'm from Texas and was raised around Cattle and horses. We always had a steer named hamburger, that us girls weren't allowed to get attached to. My husband grew up with rabbits, chickens, goats and horses. His dad raised meat rabbits. Fast forward to a few days ago.. I took my first extra dozen of eggs to my MIL and fil. Mil says o brown eggs are the best they just taste so much better than white eggs. I explained it's due to freshness, feed, etc. My fil says well actually certain breeds lay better tasting eggs than others. Mil asked do I have any that will lay white eggs, fil says she doesn't have white chickens, only white chickens lay white eggs, brown chicken lay brown eggs. The darker the chicken the darker the egg. I just said o, I never heard that cause no matter what he's always right. Can't wait to see how he explains the blue ones we are now getting from brown chickens. Lol goodness...

yuckyuck.gif
They will pump YOU UP!

I sell eggs to a friend of mine, last year his wife was trying to gain muscle mass for a triathlon. She preferred the big eggs so I gave her a dozen turkey eggs once at no additional charge.

She balked and my friend said she was repulsed by them and wouldn't even feed them to the dogs
hu.gif
said they probably tasted nasty. Later she found out what "Free Range" meant and that my chickens ate bugs and grass. Now she wont even eat chicken eggs from me
lau.gif
because chickens are supposed to eat "corn and stuff". If that were true, how'd chickens exist for the thousands and thousands of years before corn existed?
roll.png

It is! But, even out here, with each passing generation that are not farming out here, basic knowledge is lost and all the kids learn is what they see on TV, which ain't much or just plain wrong. Like that animated movie some years back with talking cows that were males~Sam Elliott's macho voice, even~ but they all had nice, big pink udders.
th.gif
You'd have thought at least one person involved with the making of that movie would have said, "Uh...guys? Um...don't know how to tell ya this,but....".

Not stupid, but uneducated, and in most cases, VERY uneducated.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that they're not interested in learning. They believe what they believe, and that's that. Not interested in hearing anything contrary to what they've told themselves. This is the definition of ignorant. I can work with uneducated or uninformed, but willfully ignorant is hopeless.

My soon to be evicted neighbors had 2 dogs locked up in a 10x10 kennel their whole lives... last year they both got out and ripped through 14ga welded wire pen and slaughtered 13 of my grow outs before we could get to them... they ran home fast and I had to put down 3 more birds that were beyond help... the neighbors did nothing... the next night it happened again during a severe thunderstorm... 31 slaughtered... no survivors... called the sheriff, said our only recourse was to sue them... we couldn't afford that, plus they are relatives by marriage and it had already caused a bad family dispute so we left it at that... but the sheriff did make a point to tell me that I have every right to protect my property by whatever means necessary... I made it clear to our neighbors that if either dog crossed our property line again, it would not walk back...

Last month we had an afternoon thunderstorm suddenly blow in fast and hard... I barely got our ducks into their pen and didn't get the juvie bantams secured but they dived for cover so I left them... went inside and was at my kitchen sink when I saw a dog ripping apart one of my juvies... grabbed the 22 rifle, stuck 1 bullet in and fired one shot... it took 5 steps and dropped, double lung shot... it was one of the 2 from the last year...

Lesson of this story, if it's a pet then the owners will take responsibility for its actions as they should and also do whatever they can to prevent it from happening again... if they don't then it is just a loose dangerous animal as it has no fear of man like a wild animal usually has... and you never know what you're capable of until you are in that situation...

Oh the joy of having daylight savings here again. :th

We have an illegal rooster that we adore & are praying doesn't get reported. We keep the birds locked in the coop till 9am to try to keep the neighbors from complaining. This morning I was woken up at 8:30 by my beautiful boy stretching his lungs under my (& my neighbors) windows. I dragged my lazy rear out of bed & asked DH why he had let them out so early. He looked at me like I was an idiot & said,
"Its already 9:30... What would you have me do? Leave them in till 10?"
Me: "What are you talking about?"
Him: "Its daylight savings time."
Me: "Yeah, but you know the chickens don't know that, right?"
Him: "...……..……….." (total silence.) :rolleyes:

I never thought a comment from someone in my own house would be included in this thread. :he:smack

Sent an email earlier to some city friends, showing a funny pic of a chicken in a diaper:

Image from http://19sunset.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/chicken-diaper-1.jpg.

Got this response back from my BIL, who's a fairly intelligent guy:

" Also rooster prophylactics...I swear, Corporate America does this to induce 'egg shortages', hence raising the price of eggs, chicken products, etc."

It's an EGGspiracy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom