Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Yeah, I've had a few lay in the run and I throw those out but I've also had a few lay in the corner of the coop and mine is a really small coop, off the ground like 2 feet, and it's just clean shavings in there especially since they sleep on the roof, so I still eat them lol they even dig a little hole/nest in the corner haha but usually they lay in the boxes

Maybe they are being bullied out of the nest or a lower ranking hens or something?

I admit even when I've had eggs break and gotten yolk on other eggs, I've eaten those eggs.... of course, yolk washed off first. Probably not the most sanitary or safest but I was okay lol although if there is a lot of yolk or it's really stuck on and doesn't come off then I give it to the dog
I don't really have low ranking hens or hens that are picked on. There are open nests...but I have a silkie who wants to brood in that corner...and they're drawn to laying there. I sat in the coop banding hens to correspond with egg color/quality and I couldn't keep them away from that spot....lol. They're just being chickens thinking they're hiding their nest. :p

A friend came up to me at school and asked how my new chick was doing. I told him the chick was about the size of a tennis ball and he was shocked when I showed him a picture of it the day before. He said "But the last picture you showed he was so tiny! How did he grow so fast! Is that normal?"
Where we live we have chickens roaming the roads. And he's definitely no citiot. He even has his own chickens, however, they're pigmy chickens and their barely bigger than my chick is now. Maybe he's never had full sized chickens lol.

Last edited:
Not a chicken thing, but a quail thing.
A friend came over and I showed her my Chinese Painted Quail... She didn't believe me when I told her that the adults were fully grown. :p She thought they were still babies due to them being roughly the size of a newly hatched chicken chick... Not to mention when I shown her the "Easter candy" eggs that they lay, she was completely in awe and fascination.

And when she saw the teeni babies, she said she wanted a hundred of them! :lau

I see this is an old post, but WOW! Just... WOW!!! :eek::eek::eek:

:lau The bird itself is bred to be pitch black... black feathers, skin, meat, bones and organs... a lot come out with white toe tips, mouths and tongues though... the fibromelanism is hard to breed for full saturation...
My cockerel... he made it into the BYC calendar this year... :D

That is a beautiful cockerel.
I imagine breeders of Ayam Cerami get real tired of seeing folks on the internet talking about how 'they have black eggs too!!!' with a picture of Cayuga duck eggs as 'proof'.
I wonder how many prospective buyers are disappointed to hear they lay off-white eggs and think there is something with the breeder's stock!

I see this is an old post, but WOW! Just... WOW!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks! Shadrach did not disappoint being my foundation sire for sure... :D

That is a beautiful cockerel.
I imagine breeders of Ayam Cerami get real tired of seeing folks on the internet talking about how 'they have black eggs too!!!' with a picture of Cayuga duck eggs as 'proof'.
I wonder how many prospective buyers are disappointed to hear they lay off-white eggs and think there is something with the breeder's stock!

Thank you, too... yep, the internet is a real PITA sometimes... there's even painted black egg pics going around too... :rolleyes:

We are so lucky our neighbors are begging us for eggs but our hens are still to young. Everyone wants to try the blue ones and I would love to get rid of our rooster but they enjoy his crowing in the morning. We also have a labradoodle who thinks the chickens are her children. At first she was running around trying to clean up their droppings. My sister says its because mother dogs protect their young by disposing of anything that leaves a strong scent. In any case she has learned to round up the girls and bring them back into our yard since we live in a neighborhood that has very few fenced yards. The babies got under our deck the other day and Cilly the dog was crying because she lost her babies. The dog keeps the big chickens from picking on the babies. We have 2 Australorps one which turned out to be a roo 2 orpingtons and 2 marans all should start laying by August. I thought the roo was a maran so I got one more maran and 2 amerucaunas that are our babies. I don't really do much with them but my husband is obsessed. He is retired and spends hours every day just sitting in the yard and watching the birds. I just want eggs LOL. We let our chickens free range almost all day and they aren't touching their chicken food. Is that normal? Its great if it is because it is going to take us forever to get enough eggs to pay for our investment. I'm not complaining my hubby had to buy one of those beautiful hen house/chicken coups so we started out with a very nice home for the girls.

We are so lucky our neighbors are begging us for eggs but our hens are still to young. Everyone wants to try the blue ones and I would love to get rid of our rooster but they enjoy his crowing in the morning. We also have a labradoodle who thinks the chickens are her children. At first she was running around trying to clean up their droppings. My sister says its because mother dogs protect their young by disposing of anything that leaves a strong scent. In any case she has learned to round up the girls and bring them back into our yard since we live in a neighborhood that has very few fenced yards. The babies got under our deck the other day and Cilly the dog was crying because she lost her babies. The dog keeps the big chickens from picking on the babies. We have 2 Australorps one which turned out to be a roo 2 orpingtons and 2 marans all should start laying by August. I thought the roo was a maran so I got one more maran and 2 amerucaunas that are our babies. I don't really do much with them but my husband is obsessed. He is retired and spends hours every day just sitting in the yard and watching the birds. I just want eggs LOL. We let our chickens free range almost all day and they aren't touching their chicken food. Is that normal? Its great if it is because it is going to take us forever to get enough eggs to pay for our investment. I'm not complaining my hubby had to buy one of those beautiful hen house/chicken coups so we started out with a very nice home for the girls.

Aw, how cute is that Cilly is mothering them!? How old are the chickens? I think it's normal for them to be uninterested in their food because they're filling up on what they find in the yard.

the big girls are about 4 months and the babies are about 6 weeks. I think having the babies in the yard with the bigger girls will make integration much easier.

Back
Top Bottom