EE Serama Project

I would be interested in some of the serama EE cross eggs. I'm ordering some silkie serama eggs and seeing to potential for fuzzy blue/green layers is just to tempting! I've hatched out seramas from an incubator 3 times before so I'm reasonably comfortable I can get viable chicks

I thought so too!
big_smile.png

I think feather type also plays a factor in cold hardiness. The serama I've had in the past had narrow feathers that laid close to the body. Very little insulating airspace under the feathers. In the hot climate they originated in that would make ridding the body of extra heat much easier. however in cold weather they are unable to maintain the heat their little bodies produce.
If cold hardiness is a goal for you project, keeping back and breeding the wide feathered birds with larger downy airspaces may help your birds stay happy on cold days. When crossing back to serama for breed conformation, these birds are the very ones you would cull. Most Serama I've seen are very sleek, smooth birds and altering feather type would give a very different overall look, but after seeing how utterly defeated mine looked on cold days I have to say I'm all for change!

Put my eggs from TJchickens in the incubator today. The air cells look pretty bad on most of them, but the box was in rough shape when I got it. I've never received a box quite so beat up before. After looking at the outside I was amazed none of the eggs broke (not even a hair line crack) If I get any live chicks this hatch it will be due in large part to the wonderful packing job that was done!

THANK YOU CINDY!

Of the 6 that made it to lock down 2 tried to pip into the wrong end and didn't make it all the rest piped into funky air cells and couldn't reach shell. I started assistance to late for 3 of them, but managed to save the little serama X EE

Of the 6 that made it to lock down 2 tried to pip into the wrong end and didn't make it all the rest piped into funky air cells and couldn't reach shell. I started assistance to late for 3 of them, but managed to save the little serama X EE

Good luck! Hopefully I can hatch some soon!

So my 3 week old EE serama is showing signs of being a rooster.
He has a pea comb so I'm hoping that means he has a blue egg gene.
He's silver based with gold leakage showing on the wings.
He's not fully feathered yet but his behavior is very roo like as well.

The second younger chick I have is grey with a gold head.

Is this a sign I have 2 boys? I've never tried to sex mix breeds by color before.

Back
Top Bottom